Corsair Community

AX1500i Snap, Crackle, Pop and smell

e.s

Last night when turning my pc off, about 2/3 seconds before the psu pyhsically shutsdown, I heard a snap, crackle, bzzt, pop and wtf smell coming from my Ax1500i.

It had been working great since day 1, was barely loaded as I when building this pc, I changed my mind from a gaming pc build to a roon server and similar pc.

The psu is definitely messed up, as thats where the smell was coming from and the caps on my mobo look ok. The video card looks ok also.

My question, where do I send this brick to get repaired, and since its trashed, if its trashed any of my hard drives or cpu/gpu or any other equipment at the same time as it blew up, who is paying for that ?

And I can’t find out what all is damaged until I get the psu replaced.

Is an Ax1500i blowing up a common problem, or am I just unlucky that it happened to me ?

Cheers

I believe you have an RMA process to go through, but in the meantime if you have an extra power supply (some of us do upgrades) swap out the power supply with one that you know that is working. Always good to have an extra power supply on hand.

There is also the “paper clip” test you could try and just check your power supply only. If you are not sure on that one don’t perform.

[ame]

[/ame]

• Corsair Employee
Hi e.s, the video that dekayd provided is a good test to see if the PSU is able to power on. In regards to the other components, we definitely recommend submitting a ticket and asking for a Damage Claim. Don't have the PSU replaced first, a Damage Claim will require the original PSU in the claim, so ask first in the ticket so support can get things moving in that direction for you.

Hi

Last friday, on shut down the psu went snap, snap, pop, pop, bzzzt, fizzzz. There was also a smell of electrical burning that filled the room.

It did it twice, once on shutdown and again on bootup for 5 seconds. I managed to trip the breaker quickly the second time.

Yesterday I took the psu out of my case. I then hooked it upto a wall socket, nothing connected to the psu at all, and I tried the built in test, it passed that test. Huh ???

After what happened on friday. Nobody could convince me to use that psu again.

On saturday, I checked my entire pc and there is no visible signs of damage on the motherboard, video card, hard drives, sound card, nothing at all, no blown caps either.

That snapping and popping noises and an electrical bzzzt and fizzle all came from the psu, and so did the smell which was noxious. I could still smell it yesterday when I took the psu out of the case and sniffed the back of the psu.

The worst thing about this is ? My Chord Hugo 2 dac was plugged into one of my pc’s usb sockets, thats £2000 alone if the psu has damaged everything. I will be gutted if it’s damaged that.

Jamey from tech support told me it’s best to get the psu rma’d. I chose an advanced rma for £350, as I need to get back up and running asap.

Corsair Mint.

At the moment I don’t know if anything is damaged. I cannot test the pc until I get a replacement psu. As I don’t have another psu spare.

I paid $450/£350 for an advanced rma.

I will be able to use the replacement psu to check if anything on my computer is damaged. If not, I can ship my ax1500i psu back to corsair. If things are damaged, I will do as you suggest. Thanks for the info as I had no idea that there was an option to file a claim.

Since I paid corsair $450 / £350 in UK money for an advanced rma, since the psu passes the built in test, will they keep my money ?

After what happened last friday, nobody will convince me to plug that same psu back into my computer and I can’t afford for corsair to keep my £350.

Thanks

P.S

If my text looks weird, its because I have been forced to use a ipad and I can only see 2 inches of text at anyone time.

• Corsair Employee

Hi e.s, if you've already set up the advanced replacement, don't send anything back till you've tested with the replacement. Like I mentioned before, they really want the old PSU sent in specifically for Damage Claims if you need to file for it.

In regards to the amount taken, no, they won't keep it if the PSU passes the test if returned. It was under the troubleshooting that the unit was deemed as needing a replacement, so we stand by replacing the unit for you. As long as you give Jamey the heads up about the other components and a potential for a Damage Claim, he'll know to give you similar instructions towards the Damage Claim, too.

Hi e.s, if you've already set up the advanced replacement, don't send anything back till you've tested with the replacement. Like I mentioned before, they really want the old PSU sent in specifically for Damage Claims if you need to file for it.

In regards to the amount taken, no, they won't keep it if the PSU passes the test if returned. It was under the troubleshooting that the unit was deemed as needing a replacement, so we stand by replacing the unit for you. As long as you give Jamey the heads up about the other components and a potential for a Damage Claim, he'll know to give you similar instructions towards the Damage Claim, too.

Hi Corsair Mint,

I remember in my first message to support/Jamey, I do recall saying that I didn’t know if anything inside my pc had been damaged, and that not knowing was freaking me out. As I have about 20 terrabytes of data to worry about, and I have just left everything as is for the moment.

Jamey passed me on to customer support so that he could get the replacement psu sent to me. Hopefully I won’t need to make a claim, to be honest, If I had to guess, I would say that it’s possible that the psu contained and limited any potential damage to itself only. I will find out for sure when the replacement psu arrives.

One more question, I’m in the UK, and no one has told me where to return my faulty psu to.

No address etc. Does the advanced rma delivery man take my faulty psu away with him, or do I need to ship it myself ?

If i need to ship myself, where do I ship it to ?

Thanks Corsair Mint

I found the shipping data/label,

WTF, its in the netherlands, I’m in scotland, that means it will cost me like £4382.52 to ship it there.

The label gives me a place in Almere to send it to, with my name and rma number on it, but it doesn’t say it’s free shipping, if it was meant to say that ?

I can understand why corsair want us to pay, to ship stuff back to them, but that should be for small things like ram and mice etc. But a 5 ton psu, I think that should be on corsair, as it is still under warranty and sending a huge box with a heavy psu in it, it really will bankrupt me.

The last time I sent a video card to a friend in the netherlands, roughly 10 years ago, and it was £76, “ONLY” £76. 10 years later and something thats 5 times its weight and 10 times its size, it is going to need one of my kidneys to help pay for it’s shipping.

What about if we do rock, paper, scissors. If I win, you pay shipping, if I lose, you pay shipping. Is that ok ?

Or we could just call it an early xmas present ?

:)

There's should be a local hub your region for the return. Since it's a power supply, Jamey should be able to get you a label for it, just mention it to him, he'll help you out!

Corsair just sent me a pre-paid shipping label for my psu, from Scotland to The Netherlands.

That is a massive boost, as paying to get a AX1500i shipped from here to there would be very costly.

It’s small things like this that makes me continually buy corsair products.

:sunglasse

• Corsair Employee
Corsair just sent me a pre-paid shipping label for my psu, from Scotland to The Netherlands.

That is a massive boost, as paying to get a AX1500i shipped from here to there would be very costly.

It’s small things like this that makes me continually buy corsair products.

:sunglasse

Good to hear! Again, I'm glad we're able to help you out!

Good to hear! Again, I'm glad we're able to help you out!

Hi.

Today a delivery man dropped off a brand new sealed AX1600i psu. w00t.

I love the cable fold out thingy, much better than the 1500s bag, although the bag was also nice.

Anyway, I have a question.

I have an Obsidian 800D case, the new 24 pin cable was a small struggle to get to where it needed to go, but it managed.

However, the EPS cables, they dont reach from the mobo to the psu because the heat shrink tubing is so stiff making the cable unbendable.

Jamey mentioned that I could keep and use my old AX1500i cables as they are compatible with the 1600, but he stressed that I must change the old 24 pin cable to the new one that comes with the 1600 psu.

Is the Ax1500i EPS cable compatible with the 1600 psu ? or do I have to use the one that came with the 1600 ?

Thanks

Archived