Corsair Community

CX500 (uk) - Two have died on me in under 18 months

jimdriver2

This is my first post here, and I've signed up specifically to ask about this. I've tried to make sure i've read all the relevant announcements and stickies before posting, but apologies if I've done something wrong.

Basically as per the title I've had two CX500's die on me in under 18 months. The first one started making an odd sound after just a few weeks of use. The PC components shop I bought it from replaced it immediately.

The replacement has been fine for about 18 months, then a couple of weeks ago started making noises like some ball bearings were loose. It wasn't that noisy, only noticeable if I wasn't playing any music / audio. However yesterday I attempted to turn my PC on and it couldn't get past the BIOS screen, just rebooting every time it tried to start Windows. Presuming it was the PSU I took it back to the shop who very generously tested it and are through their internal returns system processing the RMA for me.

The reason I'm posting is to check to see if there's something obvious I've done which has caused this, or I've just been very unlucky and had two bad units. The reason I went with a Corsair PSU was because of all the reviews and general opinion I read online of how highly regarded they are.

I can't really think of anything I've done that could cause the PSU to die. The most strenuous thing I've done is play games. I've got a Radeon HD6870 card in there which uses the two PCI-E power cables.

Any comments or feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks.

this info may apply here, this is a list of all Corsair PSUs that are certified by AMD to run that video card properly.

yours is not on the list im afraid.

AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX)

AX1200i (CP-9020008-NA)

AX750

AX850

CMPSU-1200AX

CX750 (CP-9020015-NA)

Enthusiast Series TX750M

Enthusiast Series TX850M

Gamer Series GS500

GS600 (CMPSU-600G)

GS600 (CP-9020012-NA)

GS700 (CMPSU-700G)

GS700 (CP-9020013-NA)

GS800 (CMPSU-800G)

GS800 (CP-9020014-NA)

HX1050 (CP-9020033-NA)

HX-650 Details

HX-750 Details

HX750 (CP-9020031-NA)

HX-850 Details

HX850 (CP-9020032-NA)

Performance Series HX 1050

Professional Series AX650M

TX650 (CP-9020038-NA)

TX650 V2

TX750 (CP-9020042-NA)

TX750 V2

TX850 (CP-9020043-NA)

TX850 V2

TX-950

A bit of Google yields power estimates at full load of that gfx card at around 250W. Your processor is specified by AMD at 95W (let's call it 100W). The CX500 is rated at roughly 400W on the 12V rail. Assuming that most of the processor power is derived from the 12V supply, under worst-case conditions (and further assuming that you're not overclocking anything which will invalidate these estimates) you may pull as much as 350W from that 12V rail. And that doesn't account for anything else in your box. I'm a great believer in not overbuying power supplies, but this is cutting it way too close in my opinion.

I think a reasonable safety factor is ~1/3 of the expected load. For 350W @ 12V, you should be looking at a power supply that can deliver ca. 480W on a single 12V rail. More if you have a lot of other stuff or are overclocking. Thc CX600V2 just gets you there.

I've used quite a few of those CX series supplies and have found them reliable and accurately rated. IMO, you'd be safe with the CX600.

Another question if someone can help. I'm thinking of going with a Corsair GS600. It's on that list and therefore should be able to handle the Radeon 6870. It's just I'm a little hesitant given the last two Corsair's have died on me.

Edit: the question therefore is would a GS600 be a sensible buy?

thanks.

:eek:

That's interesting. The first two I look at were similar, and around 250W as I said. I don't remember what sites they were. I wonder if they were reporting total system consumption. I've seen some reviewers do stupid things like that, and I confess that I didn't spend a lot of time reading the text.

But this raises a good question. If you assume these lower estimates are the right ones, then alleged gfx power consumption doesn't explain the PSU failures. 500W, of which 400W is available on the 12V rail is WELL within the demands of the system, and the consumption is well within what that supply ought to support without any undue stress.

Furthermore, it puts up a strong argument against the advice of buying a 700W or whatever larger supply like others have asserted. Overbuying power supplies just makes no sense from any point of view. They cost more to begin with and, all things equal, aren't going to be as efficient at the operating point.

So you're back where this all started with "mysterious" failures.

Archived