Corsair Community

Installed H100i Now PC Won’t Boot Until 3rd Attempt

sov33iet

I just installed a new H100i v2 on my old I7-980x. Let me preface this by saying the system ran flawless for 8 years prior to installing the H100i v2, with the exception of swapping out the old PSU for a Corsair RM1000i a few years ago. Basically, I just wanted a less noisy cooling system. The Intel stock fan cooler was getting loud.

Please note: ignore my current PC specs on my bio they’re for my new PC. The I7-980X is on an Asus P6X58 mobo, GPU is an EVGA 680 Classified, 24GB Corsair Vengeance ram, and PSU Corsair RM1000i.

So now since I’ve installed the H100i the PC always takes 3 attempts before it will boot. It will attempt to start twice then shut down until the 3rd try where it will successfully boot into Windows. I only have to push the power button once then it does the rest on its own.

Also the PC will randomly shutdown anywhere from 5 - 60 minutes after it has been running. The H100i is also making a strange chirping like noise that my H150i does not make.

When I installed the H100i I cleaned the CPU thoroughly, however I did not reseat the CPU. When I tightened the CPU standoff screws connecting the cooler to the CPU I used a Phillips head, but didn’t tighten it a tight as possible. I also used the default CPU paste that came on the cooler bracket.

I would like to mention the tempts on the CPU are fine. I ran Cinebench twice with no issues.

Any ideas what may be causing the issue with 3 attempts to start before boot and the random crashes? Thank you for your assistance!

I may have found the culprit. I did not touch the RAM during the install of the H100i v2. Now I’m noticing only 9GB of RAM showing out of 24 GB installed. I’ve been running those sticks for 7 years with no problem. When I initially got them I ran Memtest86 for 24 hours with no errors. They replaced a 12GB kit of Corsair that kept throwing errors. After I RMA’d them to Corsair twice and kept having the same issues I upgraded to a 24GB Corsair Vengeance kit and didn’t have a problem until now.

• Corsair Employee

Hello sov33iet,

If this happened after just installing the cooler, it may be a little too tight causing too much pressure between the CPU and the socket. I'd suggest slightly loosening the cooler and see if you're still having the same issue.

If you're still having an issue, I'd suggest contacting our Technical Support team at support.corsair.com.

I just want to say that my Gigabyte board has done this since new but only on a cold boot. Reboots are fine. I just chalked it up to a quirk in the board. It works just fine otherwise. I also have an H100i V2. I don't think it has anything to do with the cooler as I used air cooling with this board before and it still took 3 on/off cycles with a cold boot. Are you sure it didn't do this before?

Archived