Corsair Community

Dual Airflow Pro on Socket 2011 boards?

SebastianP

I'm in advanced planning for my new rig, which will be an 8-slot Sandy Bridge-E board mounted in a 600T, with an H100 in the top. Since the CPU and mainboard aren't available yet, I've been getting all the other stuff in advance, so I won't have to spend all that cash in one chunk.

I *had* been planning to go with an Airflow Pro memory cooling unit, until I discovered that they've split the RAM sockets on the Socket 2011. I've since discovered that 8-slot boards will have four on each side, which gives me some hope that I could fit a pair of Airflow Pro modules instead, one on either side of the CPU...

Does anyone have an idea of whether this will all fit? Since I'll be using an H100 (which is already installed in the case, it's just waiting for the mainboard and CPU), there's no mammoth air cooler in the way at least.

Again, the specs:

Case: Corsair 600T SE

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 in pull config

Mainboard/CPU: Undecided Sandy Bridge E with four RAM slots on either side of the CPU (8 total)

And of course the reason I'm even considering it is that I'm planning on installing a Corsair Link kit...

Cheers!

SP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I've contacted the Tech Support and they confirmed that the AirFlow Pro don't support X79. They told me x79 requires a different data read and a future firmware update is in development. ( PS: But I have no idea how to update the firmware on AirFlow Pro).

The told me to keep using the unit, but it will not be optimized as of yet.

I've done some checking and I think that there is a misunderstanding here. The Airflow Pro modules will in fact work with X79 and the AF Pro firmware is not platform dependent. Your potential problems are physical and not with software. Fitting the units, clearance around other MOBO components, the top PCI slot, etc are your main concerns.

See here for a build with 2 AF Pro units.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm a little off topic but id recommend an h80 instead of an h100. I had an h100 in my 600t and the temps compared to my haf932 were brutal so I went to an h60 and had 1° better temps then the h100. Theres not much room in the top of a 600t, but otherwise its a great case. If u have it pushing air in from the top itll heatup video card and board components and if u exhaust it u can only put 2 fans in a pull orientation. Which will make temps about the same as an h60. Or mod it and put pump down through the top and rad on outside with fans pushing from the inside, if you're leet like that ;):

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I didn't find this link previously, I did however read somewhere it would be compatitble with the 2011 socket.

Anyhow, I have a Quad kit as well as two sets of Airflow Pro (cause I liked it so much on the x58 build) only now, the device does not show memory activity - only temperature.

So perhaps there is an issue with access read to the memory. I have overcome the physical limitations extending the cables (luckly there are 6 in a set, for 12 total - 8 of which can be joined to make a nice even number of 4 each side).

Still there is an outstanding issue - Rampage IV Extreme mainboard with Dominator GT 2133 Memory in my case.

Cheers,

Both work the same - only show temperature only. No activity on either. 1 unit is completely new, so small chance it could be DOA - but the other was from previous build and working flawlessly.

Note both do the normal initialisation when the PC is first started and does lights up from one end to the other, then just leaves the internal 4 lights.

The temp lights work as they should, as they warm upto a yellow colour when AC at home is off and the PC has been folding for a period of time. Other than that, there is no sign of activity from the Airflow Pro unit. Which is a real shame as I purchased a second unit (as well as a second Airflow 2 fan).

Seems I am not alone is this issue, also came across this thread today from UK:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21346584

It should be made note of that the device is currently not working with the X79 boards or at the very least is common to the Asus Rampage IV Extreme.

Hope can solve the issue asap.

Cheers.

Hmm.. any light at the end of the tunnel?

Do the devices need to be RMA'd? 1 is new and one not so new, will the older one be RMA'd as well? - I mean is it due to a motherboard bug or the devices themselves need updating.

Any news would be good, haven't found anyone who can say what the cause is or has a solution (at least my googling has only found this post, the one i linked and the one I orginailly posted).

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I do not have any information on compatibility with socket 2011 but I will check on this and get back with you. I would have to assume we may need provide an update but lets check on that to be sure.

I have the same problem! Both units only show the temps for all 8 memory chips after the post no matter how hard computer is working. Using Rampage IV Extreme, 3930k and 64 gig of dominator memory

I have been using 2 units of the airflow pro on my msi big bang II motherboard and they show the temp and activity not sure why other users have problem with this in my MB all is working fine, one unit is old one from my X58 MB and I bought second unit ones I bought my X79 MB, as other people mentioned the cable's of second memory unit are too short but there are some cable left from X58 because instead of 6 memory we use now 8 and we use 2 ubits we have 12 cable's, if anybody needs to have more information feel free to contact me.

Hey Dagelinckx, I've used the extra cables to make extensions for one side. I believe its not actually the x79 chipset now but more an issue directly with the Asus Rampage IV Extreme as its been the common motherboard with all others also experiencing lack of activity on the Air Flow Pro.

Still no response from Asus forum posting.

Had word from RAM Guy on another thread, that yes the issue is being looked at. I believe its not completely Corsairs fault, as I have tested the unit & new RAM on previous x58 board and works fine. It has been documented to work on a x79 board (Asus) as well (the build thread was NOT the RIVE though).

I suspect its an issue directly with the Rampage IV Extreme, and as such Corsair will need to work with Asus. I can only guess it will require a mobo firmware update. Asus themselves have yet to respond to a posting, where at least I have some response from Corsair.

We just have to be patient guys. I am as eager as you to see it fixed.

Cheers.

Archived