Corsair Community

CX 750 PSU Buzzing and Whining

Adrian1906

I just did a major PC upgrade which has caused my CX 750 watt PSU to Buzz and whine in game. I am 100% sure that it is the PSU and not the GPU that is doing it. I bought the PSU 1 year ago and just recently upgraded my PC.

I can also hear the buzzing and whining in my headset which just makes it way way worse.

What should I do? Is there a way of getting my money back?

Thank you very much for reading! :)

- Adrian

I would do the following:

Open up the computer, turn it on, and listen to confirm exactly what is making the noise or where it is coming from.

Once that is done, if you hear it is the PSU, remove it from its bracket, see if something is stuck around the PSU or in it, like a lost screw.

Check to insure that the PSU is installed with the fan facing away from the case side, it might have simply been installed upside down with the fan blowing on the case.

Finally check your cabling to ensure cables are not touching improperly, or that cable ties are not hitting anything as it runs.

In terms of what you are hearing, if you are hearing electrical noise from the computer, and it doesn't sound like its coming from the PSU, reseed your cards, perhaps your audio card is bad, or sound is not routed correctly. Hearing it in your headphones, would lead me to audio issues.

In your upgrade, do you have an onboard sound that is not turned off and a separate sound card? Running both is not a good idea, if so, go into BIOS and disable your on board audio. Also, remove the sound card and disable on board audio completely, then run your computer, if you get no buzzing and whining, then it's audio related, if you still get it, its not coming from audio - because you removed any audio cards and disabled any onboard sound.

You can track it down. Good Luck!

• Corsair Employee
Check to insure that the PSU is installed with the fan facing away from the case side, it might have simply been installed upside down with the fan blowing on the case.

The PSU can be installed face up or face down and always draws air into the PSU from the fan and outside the back.

Archived