Corsair Community

Conditions for HX1000i fan to turn off?

OfLoveAndLiquor

I have a HX1000i PSU powering a beefy system.

According to HWiNFO, at idle, PSU temperatures are 35.0 °C and 27.5 °C and the delivered power is around 280 W at 93.2 % efficiency. The fan is spinning at around 800-900 RPM.

What exactly governs the PSU fan turning off? Is it based on input power? Total output power? PSU temperatures? A combination of those? What are the exact thresholds? Is there any way to adjust those? I'm not talking about the fan curve that I've already adjusted (but the minimum fan speed is 40 %).

Not sure why RGB is relevant? :)

In any case, none: this is a professional workstation with an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X and an NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Ti. The 3990X is the main cause for the high power consumption at idle (this machine was previously using a 3970X and idle consumption was around 200 W, and the PSU fan was definitely off on idle).

There are multiple triggers for the fan. The wattage load is easy and on the side of the box and in the manual. Should be around 400W for the a 1000W model. The temperature one seems to vary slightly by model, but can be between 35-50C. There may be an overlap with wattage or some type of composite metric. Corsair generally does not share their proprietary data. Other factors like high load on the 3.3 or 5v load can trigger it when neither of those conditions have been met, thus the question about your RGB status. Corsair hardware uses the 5v rail for that.

You might reach out to Corsair Technical Support and see if they will share the information. However, none of those triggers are adjustable.

Thanks for the info!

Loads:

On +3.3 V: around 5 A / 15 W

On +5 V: around 18 A / 90 W

On +12 V: around 14 A / 170 W

I've just checked the manual and the power threshold for the fan to spin up is indeed 400 W.

Edited by OfLoveAndLiquor

• Corsair Employee
I have a HX1000i PSU powering a beefy system.

According to HWiNFO, at idle, PSU temperatures are 35.0 °C and 27.5 °C and the delivered power is around 280 W at 93.2 % efficiency. The fan is spinning at around 800-900 RPM.

What exactly governs the PSU fan turning off? Is it based on input power? Total output power? PSU temperatures? A combination of those? What are the exact thresholds? Is there any way to adjust those? I'm not talking about the fan curve that I've already adjusted (but the minimum fan speed is 40 %).

While the fan controller is digital, the means of which to gather the information is analog and cannot be adjusted.

The HXi uses a combination of load and temperature to determine the fan speed, and has an added hysteresis of 20 minutes at minimum RPM before spinning down completely to prevent the fan from "pulsing" if the user is hovering between temp or load thresholds.

Not sure why RGB is relevant? :).

Lol. yeah its a strange question i know lol.. a few of us with the bigger RGB builds can easily spin our PSU fans up while the machine is idle and with low psu temps/draw. we are overloading the 5v rail which is causing the fan to spin up lol. selecting instant white lighting is the main demon... but if your not running silly amounts of 5v devices including rgb fans (32 my self) then its unlikely to be that ;).. all the guys above me certainly know more.....