Corsair Community

Corsair H100i Platinum - one of the two fans does not work (0 RPM)

ChIP_83

I have a problem with my Corsair H100i Platinum.

After having disassembled it and reconnected to the motherboard, one of the two fans, precisely the one connected to the cable with the writing "1" no longer works, the fan remains off at 0 rpm.

The second fan, connected instead to the cable that I assume is "2" (since there is no adhesive on) works correctly.

If I invert the fans, the behavior remains that, the one connected to n.1 does not work, while the one connected to n.2 works. A sign that it is not the fan that is defective but the cable that goes from the waterblock on the CPU to the connector.

I noticed that if I try to only partially remove the connector and push it slightly upwards, the fan works, but at maximum rpm. If I no longer apply pressure to the connector with my finger, the fan stops working.

I checked the connector but it doesn't seem to have any pins out of place or in an abnormal position, it doesn't seem to be damaged at all.

I know it seems obvious, but do you think the problem is the connector or something else? And if it were the connector, how could I fix it?

I was thinking of connecting it directly to the motherboard, or taking a Y splitter, to connect everything on connector 2. But at this point I could not independently manage the two fans.

At this point I thought, since less than a year has passed to send it as a guarantee?

Recommend me.

I was thinking of connecting it directly to the motherboard, or taking a Y splitter, to connect everything on connector 2. But at this point I could not independently manage the two fans.

This is the best short term fix. There is no reason to manage the two radiator fans independently. This is better than moving to the motherboard and losing the proper control source for the fans.

Contact Corsair Support directly through the Ticket System in the link in the margin above. I don't have a Platinum in front of me, but hopefully the Y-cable is detachable and can be replaced. If not, I think I would prefer running a splitter from #2 than having to RMA the entire unit, but that is your call. The warranty is 5 years, so you can change your mind later.

This is the best short term fix. There is no reason to manage the two radiator fans independently. This is better than moving to the motherboard and losing the proper control source for the fans.

Contact Corsair Support directly through the Ticket System in the link in the margin above. I don't have a Platinum in front of me, but hopefully the Y-cable is detachable and can be replaced. If not, I think I would prefer running a splitter from #2 than having to RMA the entire unit, but that is your call. The warranty is 5 years, so you can change your mind later.

Unfortunately, the H100i Platinum has all the cables attached directly to the waterblock, so I can't replace it, unless I cut the cable near the connector and "attach" a new one.

However, I did two more tests:

- install the latest version of iCUE -> no results

- connect the defective cable to the fan and then measure the output voltage with a tester on the uncovered part of the fan connector contacts (therefore after the waterblock connector which should be defective).

starting from left to right (1-> 4 pins) of an "inverted" connector.

pin 1-2 -> voltage 12v

pin 1-4 -> voltage 12v

So it seems to work ...

but then it is not that the pin that regulates the PWM does not work? that is, when it makes contact it does not send the voltage that should regulate the fan speed and therefore being at 0v on that pin the fan "understands" that it must stand still?

If you insert it a little, it may be getting no signal on PWM - that will run at full speed.

It sounds like something is amiss and it's actually reading something on the PWM signal - the ML fans will stop at, like 10% on the PWM signal.