Corsair Community

H115i fans don't throttle down..

Hylander

Hello,

I am having an issue with the fans on theH115i throttling up based on temps I've set in a custom profile, but once it hits 100% RPM it never throttles back down as the temps come back down? When I'm done with whatever I'm doing, the fans stay at 100% indefinitely. The only way I can get it back to normal is to restart the iCue software in the settings section. Once it restarts, it returns to low RPM as expected for the low temp on the custom curve. This happens every single time.. :[pouts:

System Info:

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

Core i7-8700K (OC @ 5.0 Ghz)

H115i

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3600

Windows 10 Pro

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 8GB

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt

Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Silent ATX Midtower

Monitor(s) 27" DELL S2716DG (2560 x 1440) 144Hz

Samsung Odyssey+

Thanks,

Scott

Not clear if the glitch is on the hardware or software side, but the immediate solution is to put 100% fan speed out of reach. If you are using the stock SP140L fans or anything else in the 2000 rpm range you don’t need that kind of speed. It isn’t going to make any difference in coolant temp beyond a fraction of 1 degree. Stick the last 100% dot up near 50C and leave it there. Use the penultimate control point as your effective end of curve.

Haven’t seen anyone else report this in a long time, but maybe another H115i owner can test against the current iCUE 3.16.57.

It looks like that did the trick. I just took the last point on my curve and made it 98% instead of 100%.

Seems like a good solution in that you really shouldn't need anything like 98% even, you are making a huge amount of noise for a very tiny performance gain.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm still having all kinds of problems with iCUE and my H115i. No matter what profile I use, it seems to get 'stuck' at some point. Whether it won't speed up as my CPU heats up, or it won't cool down after a session. I basically have to go in and restart the service before a sessions and after a sessions... because iCUE can't control the fans properly. I've deleted my custom profile, used the default ones, reinstalled, etc. Nothing seems to work and it's getting pretty annoying to the point where I may go out and buy another AIO system. :(

Is the entire app locking up (monitoring, temps, ability to change lighting, etc.)? Or just fan control?

No, the app itself is still running in the tray. I have a set of Corsair wireless headphones as well. iCues is running, and I can navigate everything. IE - I can pull up the graphing and see the Fan speeds. If I go to the settings, and then click restart... I can go back to graphing and after a few seconds for the restart, I can see it "restart" and everything starts to work normally again - until it doesn't. Last night I started up Battlefield V and I immediately knew it was "hung up" because I didn't hear the fans start up. So I minimized BF, brought up the iCue app, restarted the process, and after a few seconds the fans spun up and stayed pretty much at the max 98% my entire session according to the graphing. However, after I shut BF V, etc... it stayed at the 98%, it didn't throttle down. So I restarted the service again and it immediately slowed everything down to where it should be.

The only other app I'm running is Afterburner for my video card as I prefer it over Precision. I do have CPU-Z, etc... but none of them are running at the time of the issues.

Afterburner is not a problem and we’re all using it. I don’t know what to say about the lock-ups. It’s not something I have experienced, but there is a thread or two of people that encounter it. There is a new update to 3.17 today. That may or may not resolve it.

One possible way to deal with this is to manually set your radiator fans to a static speed prior to gaming. Pick something comfortable. 900-1000 rpm is plenty. If the app does lock up, you will have plenty of cooling. The downside might be the failure to change lets you know it’s locked, but that will also be evident when you drop back to the curve when finished and the fans continue on unchanged.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm crossing my fingers, but since I updated with the latest release everything has worked fine through two sessions of sim racing / gaming / non-gaming. I also upgraded to an EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, but that shouldn't have had any effect on this I wouldn't think.

Thanks again,

Scott

No, that GPU itself should have no effect on iCUE or the lock ups. However, at one point X1 was causing a few issues and you likely are on to that app now. As far as I know, that is all in the past and I have not seen complaints in quite a while. Also be aware the 2080 Ti may heat up the interior a bit more. That in turn may cause a small blip to coolant temperature if your H115i is top mounted. I was surprised how much more heat the Ti brought compared to my Titan X(P) before it. If the cooler is front mounted as intake, that is yet another reason to maybe try fixed speeds for gaming (at some point). It presents a steadier intake stream and may help keep in case temps on a more even line.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the graphs from last night, the temps seemed to be in line to what they were before. The fans for the TI point towards the bottom of my case, and I have pretty decent ventilation so hopefully it won't be a significant increase in temps.

I stuck with Afterburner for now, although I don't really feel the need to overclock the GPU at this point. I mostly race iRacing, which only utilizes really a single core for most of it's processing, so it's very IPC dependent and thus the CPU is almost always your bottleneck, not your GPU. I may put a mild overclock for boost in Afterburner for when I play a little Battlefield though.

Welp, that didn't last. I was playing BF for a few hours tonight and after I exited the game it stayed at 95% and the temperature reading on the dashboard wasn't coming down even though the CPU was obviously not being worked. I restarted the service and it started working properly again. :[pouts: