Corsair Community

CML8GX3M2A1600C9 BIOS and Voltage questions

NotACom

I am thinking of buying CML8GX3M2A1600C9 for my EVGA P55 FTW mobo running an i5-760 overclocked to 3.5.

My main question is: what will happen to my BIOS settings once I install the RAM? Is it likely it will reset everything to default, including CPU overclock, or will it just set the RAM to default values (1333mhz, default timings, voltage, etc.)?

Next question: the RAM I currently run is stable at 1600mhz @ 1.62v (4gb, 2x2gb kit), but the new RAM is rated for 1.5v, do I have to manually change the voltage before installing the new RAM, or can I leave the BIOS settings as they are and just install the CML8GX3M2A1600C9 RAM? Lowering the RAM voltage should have no effect on the CPU overclock, correct? Would I have to change my CPU VTT (currently 1.2), or should that be fine since I am just replacing 2 sticks of RAM with 2 sticks, not planning on using 4 sticks of RAM.

Finally, the i5-760 technically does not support 1600mhz RAM speed, unless overclocked (which my CPU is). I understand the relationship between the BCLK and the RAM speed, is it likely that I will be able to run this RAM at 1600mhz if my current RAM runs at that speed?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

• Corsair Employee

My main question is: what will happen to my BIOS settings once I install the RAM? Is it likely it will reset everything to default, including CPU overclock, or will it just set the RAM to default values (1333mhz, default timings, voltage, etc.)?

I say make it a habit to load/optimized default setting first in your BIOS before putting a new set of RAM. This will allow your board to see the SPD values of your new RAM. It's also recommended to check the MB BIOS version, make sure that your board has the latest one, especially when you have an older platform.

With an i5-760 CPU, your board will most likely set the RAM to 1333Mhz.

Next question: the RAM I currently run is stable at 1600mhz @ 1.62v (4gb, 2x2gb kit), but the new RAM is rated for 1.5v, do I have to manually change the voltage before installing the new RAM, or can I leave the BIOS settings as they are and just install the CML8GX3M2A1600C9 RAM? Lowering the RAM voltage should have no effect on the CPU overclock, correct? Would I have to change my CPU VTT (currently 1.2), or should that be fine since I am just replacing 2 sticks of RAM with 2 sticks, not planning on using 4 sticks of RAM.

Assuming that you have the latest BIOS for that FTW board, all you have to do is enable XMP in BIOS - that will automatically change all the values needed in your BIOS settings to run the memory at 1600Mhz. Once you have that all set, then perhaps that's only time I'd try and OC the CPU.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to follow up on this, in case someone else has the same question in the future.

I purchased and installed the CML8GX3M2A1600C9 RAM. I decided to not change any BIOS settings before changing to the new RAM, I had read an experience from another user with the same motherboard and they had no problems leaving their CPU overclock as it was. My CPU overclock settings did not change once I installed the new RAM, the only BIOS setting I had to change was the DIMM Voltage, it was at 1.62v for the old RAM and I changed it to 1.5v for the new RAM. After making sure the correct timings (9-9-9-24) were entered I booted into Windows with no problems. Windows had no problems seeing all 8gb of RAM, and a quick test in a few games (GTA 5) showed RAM usage up to 6gb while in game, without any of the pausing or hitching I used to get. Easy, and works great!

Archived