Corsair Community

Coupling two different models of DDR3 Vengeance

jongasse

I am very happy with my current build, but would like to add 8GB more.

Could adding one more of either of these lead to instability @1600?:

1. CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9: Seems that the only difference from the model I currently have is the size of the heatspreaders (mine is the LP version)? :confused:

Am I correct?

2. CML8GX3M2A1600C9: Exactly the same model that I have

If both CML8GX3M2A1600C9 and CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 is electrically the same, would either of these work great with the CML8GX3M2A1600C9 that I already have in my system?

I would not want to buy a 16GB kit as I already have 8GB, if I can help it :biggrin:

Please advise.

less that a 50% chance of 2 sets playing nice together.

see the 2 links below as to why.

you could always try but its not supported or guaranteed to work.

I was afraid that I would get this answer (many questions like mine on the forum, and same answer as well): but it is understandable. Separate kits are not tested or specified to work together.

I really like this kit and have been using Corsair products wherever possible (A70 cooler, RAM).

Would really like to upgrade to 16GB: is it possible to ask my beloved Corsair for an exchange of the current 8GB kit I have for a 16GB kit, after I pay the difference?

less that a 50% chance of 2 sets playing nice together.

How do I find out if they are playing nice together?

Would 7 passes of Memtest+ linked from this forum be a strong indicator?

Now, if Memtest+ passes with the two different sets could I assume it's not going to cause incompatibility problems a year down the line?

They will either work together out of the BOX or they wont work at all.

I bought the two models I mentioned in the OP and memtest86+ v4.20 is running without any errors so far.

If no errors come out after 7 passes of memtest86+ v4.20, can I assume that the combination of RAM I have ended up with is exactly as good as if I had bought a pack of factory packaged 16GB Corsair RAM?

I am willing to do more tests like OCCT if you recommend.

Do advice: I am very excited.

If the system is stable then go for it, but I would suggest running like OCCT or Prime95 for a few hours to be 100% Sure its stable.

THANK YOU RAM GUY!

I have been running Memtest on the two modules coupled together, set to 1600 via XMP for 12 hours now and not a single error and 8 passes already.

A question about OCCT: I have license only for 32 bit windows 7.

If OCCT on 32 bit windows 7 runs stable for 1 or two hours, can I assume the whole 16GB system is stable or only the first 4GB module?

In other words: Would there be a stability difference from tests running OCCT on 32 vs 64 bit windows 7 as far as checking RAM stability is concerned?

• 11 months later...

Apologies for bringing this thread back from the dead but from the mix of CML8GX3M2A1600C9 and CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9, the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 seems to have gone bad today.

Windows blue screened all of a sudden and the system failed to POST on a power cycle (reboot did not work).

The sad thing is that the system was rock solid all this while.

My motherboard boots fine without the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 but fails to even POST with it in it.

I am thinking of sending the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 for RMA but had a few questions:

1. By mixing two different sets of these RAMs, did I void the warranty on either of these?

2. What is the process of RMA (BESIDES filing out the form at http://www.corsair.com/support/): it's been less than a year that I bought these sticks. Will I be expected to pay shipping etc?

3. Could I request a CML8GX3M2A1600C9 model instead of the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (I prefer the lower profile as the stick with the bigger fins didn't seem to do any real good)

4. I never tried to overclock the system, or manually override system timing or voltage parameters etc - but instead of going through the RMA process, could I try and increase the DIMM voltages to see if the issue goes away?

5. How likely is this a motherboard fault (I am thinking perhaps by putting all 4 DIMMs I might be overloading the onboard DIMM controller)

My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO and powered by CMPSU-650TX. The complete system is running of a APC Smart-UPS.

Edited by jongasse

1. By mixing two different sets of these RAMs, did I void the warranty on either of these?

No you did not void the warranty by mixing kits but i would run that kit by itself through memtest a couple of passes to confirm that one of the sticks is bad.. Just because you removed that kit from the system and it run s fine doesn't always mean that that is the offender. It is very well possible some other component or even one of your other kits is the or stopped working with the others.

It would be best to confirm that one of the sticks are bad first

Remove ALL your ram and test the "faulty" kit by itself to take the rest of the memory out of the question. Load set-up defaults and then enable XMP and boot to memtest. Let each stick run for three passes or or until you get an error. There no sense in going any further if it errors are detected.

2)2. What is the process of RMA (BESIDES filing out the form at http://www.corsair.com/support/): it's been less than a year that I bought these sticks. Will I be expected topay shipping etc?

You can always call CSand request an RMA that way,,but the link on the left would be the best way. And yes, you would be responsible for paying the shipping to them. Corsair would pay for the new set to be shipped backed.

3. Could I request a CML8GX3M2A1600C9 model instead of the CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (I prefer the lower profile as the stick with the bigger fins didn't seem to do any real good)

No , they will only exchange the same part number.

4)4

. I never tried to overclock the system, or manually override system timing or voltage parameters etc - but instead of going through the RMA process, could I try and increase the DIMM voltages to see if the issue goes away?

You could try to increase DIMM voltage to 1.55 volts and VCCIO to 1.1v to see if that helps. But again i would test the suspicious kit first before doing this.

5)5. How likely is this a motherboard fault (I am thinking perhaps by putting all 4 DIMMs I might be overloading the onboard DIMM controller)

It is not all that likely that it could be the mother board,but is always a possibility.

Also, the memory controller is no longer located there. The memory controller is now in your CPU. This is why i suggested to test that kit with memtest86+ first to confirm that you do have a bad stick first. If the sticks in that kit all pass in the first slot on the MB , test those sticks in the remaining slots in the motherboard to rule out a bad DIMM slot.

Edited by peanutz94

No you did not void the warranty by mixing kits

Thank you, but I would also like for a Corsair rep to confirm this.

You can always call CSand request an RMA that way,,but the link on the left would be the best way. And yes, you would be responsible for paying the shipping to them. Corsair would pay for the new set to be shipped backed.

That is fine, but is it a possibility to ask for a refund of the purchase price once I ship the faulty unit on RMA?

I am really intent on using a HSF and the tall fins don't allow me to use one, so I would rather buy the LP version myself if I were refunded.

Also, the memory controller is no longer located there. The memory controller is now in your CPU. This is why i suggested to test that kit with memtest86+ first to confirm that you do have a bad stick first. If the sticks in that kit all pass in the first slot on the MB , test those sticks in the remaining slots in the motherboard to rule out a bad DIMM slot.

Aha! I will test the sticks on a different working computer and update this thread.

Also is there a way to see if my CPU is at fault? I remember running memtest for 3 days at a stretch and OCCT for an hour or so without failures.

However, when I try and install the Intel graphics driver on my Win7 system, my OS BSODs right away. I'm not sure if this points to a faulty CPU or a crappy driver.

Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post

No you did not void the warranty by mixing kits

Thank you, but I would also like for a Corsair rep to confirm this.

No worries, I understand . While I am not a Corsair employee i have been backed by RamGuy and the tech support team as an official forum helper. It's not going to void your warranty , they just can not guarantee correct operation and or rated speeds when mixing kits. Really, about the only way to void your warranty would be to either disassemble the modules or run them over2.0 volts which would be the max voltage of the modules, which is independent of your CPU/MB. Other than that there is no problem.

You can view their warranty info here.

http://www.corsair.com/us/support/warranty/

That is fine, but is it a possibility to ask for a refund of the purchase price once I ship the faulty unit on RMA?

You would need to contact CS and discuss this with them. It would also depend on where you bought the modules. If you purchased them directly from the Corsair website thats a possibility. They can not refund you money on a product that was not purchased directly from them. So if you bought them from a local reseller or etailer you would need to take that up with them.

But again, this would be something you would need to call in and discuss with CS. This is something that can not be handled here from tech support.

Also is there a way to see if my CPU is at fault? I remember running memtest for 3 days at a stretch and OCCT for an hour or so without failures.

Yes, check Intels site and download the Intel CPU diagnostic tool. It will run a complete check on you CPU. Just make sure it is NOT overclocked as it will fail if it is run outside stock parameters.

owever, when I try and install the Intel graphics driver on my Win7 system, my OS BSODs right away. I'm not sure if this points to a faulty CPU or a crappy driver.

It may be just a driver conflict, bad CPU or even issues with the MB. I suggest maybe trying an older version of the graphics driver if the latest one is not working and depending on how well the CPU tests out with the CPU diagnostic tool.

Can you check your event logs and see what the error codes are for the blue screens?

Or maybe have a dedicated GPU to test with?

Edited by peanutz94

• 7 years later...
of course, you can use two different rams. Computer has two slots by default. It is not true that, you have as same size of new RAM as old one. You will moved to dual channel commonly dubbed flex mode. you computer take and utilize the some B from old one and some from new one. Remember that, both RAM must be on same frequency. Your computer works better than before.