Corsair Community

K95 RGB Platinum bricked after iCUE firmware update out of box [02/2020]

UPDATE: I've heard back from Corsair and the instructions provided were sufficient to fix my keyboard. Scroll down to my latest post for the instructions and a MediaFire link to the .bin file that was sent to me from Corsair!

Hi all,

I've had a very specific issue pertaining to my K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard that arrived at my place of residence after being shipped from Amazon. It will not light up at all or register any keystrokes despite being plugged in.

How this happened is very frustrating. I took it out of the box, got everything plugged in and set up, did up my RGB settings just how I liked it, and noticed a button in the lower-left corner of the iCUE window that says "Update". I clicked on this, and it informed me there was a firmware update for the K95 RGB Platinum XT (it listed the versions, but I didn't really look at it and don't remember which version I was running or upgrading to).

I clicked on this and there was the typical warning message of "don't unplug your keyboard during the update or it will cause corruption", and I'm thinking, "Great, I just got this keyboard, let's do a firmware update to the latest version. What could possibly go wrong?" So I kicked off the firmware update and then took my hands away from my computer.

Well, not even 5 seconds into the update, my keyboard went dark and iCUE gave me a popup simply saying "Update failed!" with no further information. Sure enough, it was not registering any keystrokes or being detected at all within iCUE, and Windows is telling me the drivers are ****ed. It is now a shiny, brand-new $200 brick. Thanks, Corsair.

I scoured multiple forum threads about firmware problems for the K95 Platinum on multiple sites, and it looks like - though I could not find my painfully specific issue anywhere - that the general consensus is a manual uninstall and reinstall of the firmware will be required, and if that doesn't work it will need to be RMA'd. To pour salt in the wound, you have to open a ticket with Corsair just to get the frigging firmware.bin file for your specific model. You can't even DL it off Corsair's site to attempt the update yourself, despite that people on the forums post the exact instructions they got from their support tickets. Needless to say I'm very upset since I was replacing my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 which I'm using right now to type this, which has been sending bad keystrokes for the past 2 years or so now due to previous water damage.

If anyone can provide any, and I mean ANY info that could potentially help me fix this problem myself, without voiding the warranty or opening a ticket with Corsair, I would be eternally grateful. I pretty much have nothing left to lose except the manufacturer's warranty status and I really also want to avoid an RMA. I've already tried the basics such as following instructions on Corsair's FAQ site here for doing the soft reset, rebooting my computer after nuking Windows keyboard drivers in device manager, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by KoblerMan
ISSUE IS FIXED, adding context for that

UPDATE: I have submitted a support ticket detailing the problem in full to Corsair. I am awaiting a response.

UPDATE 2: It looks like when I attempted the firmware update, iCUE was out of date and not working properly, so I suppose this is the root cause of the issue. Also I tried going through the soft reset instructions again with the keyboard after updating iCUE. The only thing I have been able to get so far is a generic error message from Windows that says something to the effect of "Windows determined the last device you plugged in via USB has now malfunctioned". I've made no progress aside from that. Also, still no response from Corsair on the ticket aside from an immediate auto reply within the last 8 hours.

Edited by KoblerMan
  • Confused 1

Hi all,

I've had a very specific issue pertaining to my K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard that arrived at my place of residence after being shipped from Amazon. It will not light up at all or register any keystrokes despite being plugged in.

How this happened is very frustrating. I took it out of the box, got everything plugged in and set up, did up my RGB settings just how I liked it and noticed a button in the lower-left corner of the iCUE window that says "Update". I clicked on this, and it informed me there was a firmware update for the K95 RGB Platinum XT (it listed the versions, but I didn't really look at it and don't remember which version I was running or upgrading to).

I clicked on this and there was the typical warning message of "don't unplug your keyboard during the update or it will cause corruption", and I'm thinking, "Great, I just got this keyboard, let's do a firmware update to the latest version. What could possibly go wrong?" So I kicked off the firmware update and then took my hands away from my computer.

Well, not even 5 seconds into the update, my keyboard went dark and iCUE gave me a popup simply saying "Update failed!" with no further information. Sure enough, it was not registering any keystrokes or being detected at all within iCUE, and Windows is telling me the drivers are ****ed. It is now a shiny, brand-new $200 brick. Thanks, Corsair.

I scoured multiple forum threads about firmware problems for the K95 Platinum on multiple sites, and it looks like - though I could not find my painfully specific issue anywhere - that the general consensus is a manual uninstall and reinstall of the firmware will be required, and if that doesn't work it will need to be RMA'd. To pour salt in the wound, you have to open a ticket with Corsair just to get the frigging firmware.bin file for your specific model. You can't even DL it off Corsair's site to attempt the update yourself, despite that person on the forums post the exact instructions they got from their support tickets. Needless to say, I'm very upset since I was replacing my Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 which I'm using right now to type this, which has been sending bad keystrokes for the past 2 years or so now due to previous water damage.

If anyone can provide any, and I mean ANY info that could potentially help me fix this problem myself, without voiding the warranty or opening a ticket with Corsair, I would be eternally grateful. I pretty much have nothing left to lose except the manufacturer's warranty status and I really also want to avoid an RMA. I've already tried the basics such as following instructions on Corsair's FAQ site here for doing the soft reset, rebooting my computer after nuking Windows keyboard drivers in device manager, etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I second your issue, I am currently working on a ridiculously cheap keyboard to write/type this!

I went through hell on earth to get my old keyboard replaced after they fully admitted that it wasn't my fault and then send me out a new keyboard, 'TimW' from customer team, came back to me and helped me get the latest and greatest setup, so I ended up with the same KB as yourself, the supreme best they had to offer.

Just over a week after using it, I use the official latest iCUE software to update the Keyboard firmware, and exactly the same thing occurred.

TOTALLY LIVID!

20200227_023856.thumb.jpg.c8a8a85b2bd1411b23ffa0ca953e8e6b.jpg

Still no official word from Corsair on this after almost 24 hours since I submitted the ticket. It reflects poorly on their customer service team to have tickets languish for so long in their system.

On the plus side, my Scimitar RGB Elite came in and I reluctantly updated the firmware on it using iCUE in the exact same manner that bricked my keyboard, but the difference is, it worked fine on my mouse. It doesn't make me any less frustrated about still having to type on my old keyboard in my lap because the new one on my desk is useless.

It's been over 48 hours for me now. This is very frustrating. Why would the firmware file not be downloadable on Corsair's site? They could skip requiring users to put in a ticket and wait inordinate amounts of time just to be told "here's the firmware, DIY".

My plan when I hear back from Corsair is to test the install of the firmware file, and if it works with the instructions they give me, I will put a MediaFire link containing it along with the instructions in this thread. That way if there's a workaround that doesn't require an RMA anyone with this problem won't have to go through all the BS.

If I don't hear back from Corsair soon enough, I may just refund the device through Amazon. This is getting ridiculous.

I also have the same issue. Just put in a ticket.

I wish I would've looked up to see if there were any issues before updating. Since the "issue" I was having was very minor and now it's a ***** show.

(FYI the "issue" I had was whenever I booted my computer, the default rainbow RGB lighting would cause issues with the saved profile I had made and displayed some keys in different colors. So I figured, since I payed for such an expensive keyboard I shouldn't have to deal with any sort of issues. (This was actually a replacement from the original model after 1 year of use ironically..) Kudos to this old HP chiclet keyboard..)

And to top it all off the "issue" I had wasn't even in the original.. Pretty upset.

Alright everyone, this problem is RESOLVED for me.

Instructions received:

Reinstalling the firmware of your device may correct the issue. We suggest doing this manually and have uploaded the firmware for your device to the ticket in order to do so. Please follow the directions below:

1: Unplug your keyboard from the computer.

2: Locate the small pinhole underneath your keyboard. For some, this will be located near the polling rate switch by the cable. On others, it will be located underneath on the tilt legs on the bottom of the keyboard.

3: Using a small paperclip or push-pin, press down on the button inside the pinhole.

4: Plug your keyboard back into the computer, while holding down the pinhole button.

5: Once it is plugged back in, your computer should recognize a drive called CRP_Disabled. Please open this.

6: Download the firmware file from the ticket. If it is compressed into a.RAR file, please extract this file to an easily found location on the computer.

7: Delete the file FIRMWARE.BIN from the CRP_DISABLED drive, and then place the file with ISP in its name to the CRP_Disabled drive.

8: Once you have performed the steps above, please unplug your keyboard and then plug it back in. The device will then return to normal. Please test to see if the issue reappears. If it does, please inform us on the ticket for further troubleshooting.

I followed the instructions verbatim and it worked. Note: This .bin file is for the K95 RGB Platinum XT and NOT FOR ANY OTHER KEYBOARD. Also note: DO NOT rename the file. It is fine as-is!

corsair_response.png.45cb7578f4eb0fb38d9aec2537832417.png

Edited by Technobeard
contact support for official .bin files. downloading from 3rd party sites is not recommended
  • Confused 1

I don't think my keyboard is fixable. Since I tried holding down the pin and plugging it back in, but CRP_Disabled doesn't show up. I tried multiple times as well but, think I'm going to have to go to my retailer to replace or refund it.

Edit: Miraculously after I tried doing it again before calling the retailer the CRP_Disabled showed up. However after removing the firmware.bin and replacing it with the new firmware the keyboard lit up but was unresponsive. But after doing a soft reset the keyboard works again!

Edited by Caderz

@KoblerMan

Thank you soooo much for posting the .BIN file! I just bought the same keyboard, and bricked it while doing the update even before I used it! (I'm used to update my firmwares to get rid of the wrinkles before using my new things)

I registered on the forum only to post this!

• 4 weeks later...

Instructions received:

Here is the link to the .bin file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2694xz5irtk0rd/Hollis_Isp_Bld_v4.6.7_App_v4.11.25.bin/file

I followed the instructions verbatim and it worked. Note: This .bin file is for the K95 RGB Platinum XT and NOT FOR ANY OTHER KEYBOARD. Also note: DO NOT rename the file. It is fine as-is!

Same exact instructions I received from Corsair, and this way worked like a charm and no issues since.

• 3 weeks later...

Instructions received:

Here is the link to the .bin file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w2694xz5irtk0rd/Hollis_Isp_Bld_v4.6.7_App_v4.11.25.bin/file

Life saver... just got mine today... 4/14/2020. Same thing happened when I went to update the stock firmware. After unplugging and replugging, I was seeing the folder when I plugged my keyboard in with OEM firmware. Cut it out put the new file in from your link, unplugged replugged and nothing. I did the soft reset using the esc key. Unplug, pressing the esc key down, plug it back in, heard a beep, no flash?, unplugged then plugged back in. Worked. Checked the firmware again, said it was up to date. The firmware file wasn't .rar or zip. Regular firmware file with a crazy name but had lsp in it. I was glad I didn't have to use the manual reset. Thanks for this post... saved me the hassle of trying to return a brand new keyboard or worse file an RMA. Feel sorry for those who are not as computer savvy... they'll be fighting a dead keyboard. Corsair better fix this... then again only savvy folks will spend $200 on a keyboard... lol

• 4 weeks later...
Really appreciate this post! Bought the keyboard 5/10/2020, tried updating the firmware and boom "Update Failed" leaving me with a bricked keyboard. I can appreciate their inclusion of a fallback button, but hasn't this keyboard been out for a while now?

Life saver... just got mine today... 4/14/2020. Same thing happened when I went to update the stock firmware. After unplugging and replugging, I was seeing the folder when I plugged my keyboard in with OEM firmware. Cut it out put the new file in from your link, unplugged replugged and nothing. I did the soft reset using the esc key. Unplug, pressing the esc key down, plug it back in, heard a beep, no flash?, unplugged then plugged back in. Worked. Checked the firmware again, said it was up to date. The firmware file wasn't .rar or zip. Regular firmware file with a crazy name but had lsp in it. I was glad I didn't have to use the manual reset. Thanks for this post... saved me the hassle of trying to return a brand new keyboard or worse file an RMA. Feel sorry for those who are not as computer savvy... they'll be fighting a dead keyboard. Corsair better fix this... then again only savvy folks will spend $200 on a keyboard... lol

THIS......Had same problem with CRP_DISABLED opening when I plugged in keyboard. Instructions above did not solve this on their own. Had to go through additional soft reset and now it's working like it's supposed to. Registered just to say thank you for posting this with the additional reset step. Support doesn't know it yet, but they need to thank you as well ;)

Instructions received:

My god thank you so much! I've been scouring forums for 3 hours trying to find the software bin file that I needed. This is definitely getting permanently placed in my hella important files folder.

• 1 month later...
literally same exact thing happened to me with this new keyboard. I was so excited to have a nice new premium keyboard and then this happens. I was so about to just send this thing back to Amazon! amazing a company as big as corsair can charge so much for a top shelf product and have something like this happen and seems like it happens all the time.

@KoblerMan

I just registered to the forums so I could say a HUGE thank you for providing this information and for supplying the .bin file to correct the issue!

I too just bought the K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard, and bricked it due to a failed firmware update via the iCUE software.

You have saved me a massive headache!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another keyboard saved due to the OP, and another new registration just to say thanks. It worked, my keyboard is working properly again, and iCue isn't bugging me to update the firmware. Of course, they will probably update it again in the future, so I've bookmarked this thread just in case.

KevyKevTPA

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my K95 XT few hours ago and it got bricked after updating the firmware. I tried to do all the mentioned steps here but didn't see any CRP_Disabled nor see a window pop out. Idk but it did work after several attempts of following the instructions including soft resetting then plugging it in on my laptop instead of my main pc where it got bricked.

Thank you so much for saving me! I was about to cry when it stopped working T_T

I just had the same problem with a keyboard bought off Amazon, sold by Corsair. Kinda frustrating. Though in the case of my keyboard, doing a soft reset is able to get it to work again. After the reset iCue wants to update the firmware again, and bricked it again. On the 4th attempt and after the reset it says the firmware is updated.