Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Lover and Defender of RGB
crashnburnxp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926529
crashnburnxp Reputation: 10
Default Commander Pro confusion

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase the Corsair Commander Pro for my current build but I am slightly confused on something. Do I need to keep the fan hub that came with my crystal 570x case so my fans can utilize the RGB as well as the commander pro? Or can the commander pro take care of all of that and I can remove the fan hub that came with the case?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Corsair Employee
Corsair CJ's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926535
Corsair CJ Reputation: 42

You have to use the fan hub to address the RGB LEDs.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926539
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburnxp View Post
can the commander pro take care of all of that
Hi Buddy

You need the Rgb Fan Led Hub buddy... currently the only way to control the LEDS of Corsairs RGB fans,, it supports All of corsairs Rgb series fans but should be noted you cant mix and match fan types on each hub..

heres an example of installation for the commander... only connections not show are the sata power and motherboard usb connections..

and heres mine thats in a 570x

Last edited by Zotty; 11-16-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Lover and Defender of RGB
crashnburnxp's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926554
crashnburnxp Reputation: 10

Thanks you guys for the feedback. That helps a lot!

Old 11-17-2017, 10:21 PM
brighttail's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926773
brighttail Reputation: 11

Okay so I'm a bit confused....
The multiple fan kits comes with:
- CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO
- RGB Lighting Hub

From the instructions, I see you plug the 6 fans into the lighting hub, then plug the lighting hub into the Lighting Node Pro. At this point do you STILL have to plug the PWM fan portion of the fans into the motherboard or some sort of fan hub, or is plugging the fans into the lighting hub enough? I ask because in the instructions I'm seeing on the web does not indicate you have to plug the fans into an actual PWM fan hub or the motherboard. It is strange that the instructions doesn't indicate you have to figure out something to do with the PWM cable. :(

I have a Commander Pro but not a lighting hub and was hoping to just use the Commander Pro, but it looks like i have to get the lighting hub as well.... (sigh)

These things are hugely expensive. Buying 1 140mm kit, and 4 140mm fans in Canadian dollars is over $325!!! :(

Old 11-17-2017, 10:35 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926774
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Each HD, SP-RGB, or LL fan has 2 wires coming out of it. One if for lighting power and goes to the lighting hub. The other is basic fan power and speed control. This goes to the motherboard, pump, or other fan controller. This is how you get 12-16 LEDs not to fry the motherboard headers. Make it get power from elsewhere. So yes, you will need to run the normal fan connector back to the motherboard to make it spin.

The Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro are your interface with the Link program so you can do software control instead of the physical remote. This is highly desirable with the HD fans and opens the door to many more lighting options. Since you already have the Commander Pro, you do not need the Lightning Node Pro (LNP).

Everyone has to have the lighting hub that comes with the fans. Each fan type (HD, SP, LL, presumably ML-RGB) needs their own hub. You can't mix and match on there. If you bought a standard triple pack of HD120's, it should have a 6 port lighting hub included. I think the only way to avoid getting one is if you bought 6 singles. Even if you did, you can get one inexpensively from Corsair and elsewhere.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-rgb-fan-led-hub

Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926779
DevBiker Reputation: 88

To clarify: If you have the Commander Pro, you don't need a separate Lighting Node Pro. The Commander Pro's LED connectors will do the same job as the Lighting Node Pro. Both the Commander Pro and the Lightning Node Pro will control the LED effects for 2 RGB Fan Hubs or up to 8 lighting strips.
The scenario that Zotty drew out for you has it laid out ... Fan Lighting Hub to the Commander Pro's LED controller. PWM Fan cables to the Commander Pro's Fan controllers. And you'll need 2 SATA power connections (1 for the C-Pro, 1 for the RGB Fan Hub).

Old 11-17-2017, 11:47 PM
brighttail's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926781

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
To clarify: If you have the Commander Pro, you don't need a separate Lighting Node Pro. The Commander Pro's LED connectors will do the same job as the Lighting Node Pro. Both the Commander Pro and the Lightning Node Pro will control the LED effects for 2 RGB Fan Hubs or up to 8 lighting strips.
The scenario that Zotty drew out for you has it laid out ... Fan Lighting Hub to the Commander Pro's LED controller. PWM Fan cables to the Commander Pro's Fan controllers. And you'll need 2 SATA power connections (1 for the C-Pro, 1 for the RGB Fan Hub).
Yeah... I would still need the RGB hub that would go into the Commander Pro LED connector. :( So it is still cheaper/better to get a "kit" and 4 single fans. Then I'd still have one LED header I could add some lights to and such. Still heck of expensive for 6 fans. :(

Old 11-18-2017, 01:07 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926787

Quote:
Originally Posted by brighttail View Post
Yeah... I would still need the RGB hub that would go into the Commander Pro LED connector. :( So it is still cheaper/better to get a "kit" and 4 single fans. Then I'd still have one LED header I could add some lights to and such. Still heck of expensive for 6 fans. :(
Yes. Now, if you get a pack of the LL fans, they will come with a Lighting Node pro. The HD RGB Fans, however, do not.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:44 AM
brighttail's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926790

Considering a two pack of HD RGB fans is $79 and a 2 pack of the LL or ML fans with the hub is $99 it is a good buy considering buying it separately you are paying $59 for the hub itself.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:49 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926791

Quote:
Considering a two pack of HD RGB fans is $79 and a 2 pack of the LL or ML fans with the hub is $99 it is a good buy considering buying it separately you are paying $59 for the hub itself.
Remember ... just one type of RGB fan per fan hub!

Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926806
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Quote:
There is one small difference. The LNP in the LL pack does not come with the 4 LED strips like the stand-alone LNP. There is also a separate LED Pro kit with just the strips AND 4 extensions. Those extensions make setting up a larger case child’s play and worth it for me. Since I already had the C-Pro, did not need control over more than 6 fans, I had a spare channel and this was a good combination with the C-Pro. I think I actually like the strips better than the HD fans. And yes, this is expensive. Definitely a luxury purchase.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:27 PM
brighttail's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926818

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
There is one small difference. The LNP in the LL pack does not come with the 4 LED strips like the stand-alone LNP. There is also a separate LED Pro kit with just the strips AND 4 extensions. Those extensions make setting up a larger case child’s play and worth it for me. Since I already had the C-Pro, did not need control over more than 6 fans, I had a spare channel and this was a good combination with the C-Pro. I think I actually like the strips better than the HD fans. And yes, this is expensive. Definitely a luxury purchase.

I have a Phanteks Elite case so I'm currently running all 13 fans off of the two 6 fan hubs they have in there. They aren't so bad. If I go this route I could still use one of those hubs and replace the other with the commander pro. so i would buy :
1 140 kit - get two fans, the RGB node and the light hub
4 140 individual fans'
1 4 strips LED RGB lights.

With this I could get 6 fans going (the only 6 to be seen), have all 6 fans off the Commander Pro for power and the light hub for RGB and still have another lighting node for the 4 strips.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:11 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926831

Yes, that would work.
If the fan hub in the Enthoo Elite is the same one that came in my Enthoo Primo, then it's a PWM to DC converting fan hub.
You'll be able to plug this in to a single fan port on the Commander Pro and control it as a PWM fan. You will not be able to use that hub to control any of the Corsair RGB fans as they are all PWM controlled but I don't think that's an issue. Add a single PWM splitter (for two of the Corsair fans) and you'll be able to control ALL of your fans from Link. Just a thought.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM
brighttail's PC Specs

POST ID # = 926836

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Yes, that would work.
If the fan hub in the Enthoo Elite is the same one that came in my Enthoo Primo, then it's a PWM to DC converting fan hub.
You'll be able to plug this in to a single fan port on the Commander Pro and control it as a PWM fan. You will not be able to use that hub to control any of the Corsair RGB fans as they are all PWM controlled but I don't think that's an issue. Add a single PWM splitter (for two of the Corsair fans) and you'll be able to control ALL of your fans from Link. Just a thought.
HMMMM. They are a little snazzier than the Primo hub, and I am able to control using Asus Suite 3 the speeds of all 6 fans together. As a hub you can only control the first fan on the hub and all other fans follow the lead of the first, so I'm not sure if it is PWM to DC. In BIOS I set it to PWM and it works fine.

I do like your suggestion tho. I haven't looked at the Commander pro but being able to set each fan (even one connected to a hub) individually would be very beneficial. :)

Sadly opening up the back, I'm not sure where I'd put the commander pro. Perhaps maybe behind my reservoirs on the back of the bracket but that is about it. :( The elite is big but in the back there isn't a lot of flat space that isn't taken up or got cables running over it.

Last edited by brighttail; 11-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.