The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 04:41 PM

POST ID # = 946350
1advanced Reputation: 10
Default NF-F12 fans on H100i GTX Extreme, problems.

Hello, I have H100i GTX Extreme water cooling and all worked fine but the fans were loud, doing some research and reading forums I found that many upgraded to Noctua fans and their similar systems were much more quiet.

I ordered 2 fans and installed on my cooler but when started computer noticed CPU fan error. I tried to put original fans back and no error and works fine.

I tried changing settings in BIOS but nothing to take out the error. The fans spin but the message comes up each time on startup. And I think they are not spinning fast enough because the temperature rises.

I do not want to plug them in directly to the motherboard because I want the temperatures of CPU to impact on how fast the fans spin.

Any ideas? Are the fans simply not compatible and other people plugged them in directly? Or am I not noticing something that needs to be updated for this to work? I'm to a point where I want to return them but thought I'd ask here if anyone knows a fix.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 946351
DevBiker Reputation: 88

I find it odd that the fans would cause this issue.
I don't recall if the H100i GTX is SATA or fan-header powered; if fan-header powered, make sure that you have the fan header it's attached to set to 100%. I do know that it's very similar to the H100iV2, which is fan header powered. Swapping the fans would change the current draw so that could be an issue.

Personally, I'd recommend the ML-120 fans. They do work well and are much quieter than the stock fans. You can get the 2 pack on Amazon for a reasonable price.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 946353
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 104

The fans are compatible and numerous people have been using them on all coolers for years. Generally, a CPU fan error is when your board thinks there is nothing connected to CPU_FAN. On the H100i GTX, the relevant device is the pump and not the fans. Even with no fans at all, it should boot as long as the pump is working properly. If you are seeing quickly escalating temperatures on boot, there is a problem with the cooler and not the fans.

Make sure CPU FAN or wherever the H100i GTX is connected is set to 100%/Full Speed/12v/PWM/Disbaled or however your motherboard defines a constant 12v supply. You don't have any specifications listed, so we can't be any more specific without knowing the motherboard. Keep in mind if plug the fans into the pump connector, you must then adjust fan speed from the Link software. You cannot control them from the motherboard or BIOS without adversely affecting the pump operation.