The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2015, 10:10 PM
gazereths's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790864
gazereths Reputation: 10
Confused Audio interference

Got the k70 with browns today but when I use it alongside onboard audio I get interference, a slight whining noise, it's most prevalent through the green 'front speaker' audio jack, less so through the others. It changes pitch with the brightness of the backlight leds, no noise at all if the led's are off.

I'm using headphones with a splitter cable to give me mic in, tried 4 different pairs and it's present on all of them.

Is this a know issue? Any workarounds? Would getting a sound card fix this?

Apart from the audio issue (which is annoying) I'm loving the keyboard.

Ant help/suggestions are welcome :)

Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 PM
digitalphy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 790986
digitalphy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazereths View Post
Got the k70 with browns today but when I use it alongside onboard audio I get interference, a slight whining noise, it's most prevalent through the green 'front speaker' audio jack, less so through the others. It changes pitch with the brightness of the backlight leds, no noise at all if the led's are off.

I'm using headphones with a splitter cable to give me mic in, tried 4 different pairs and it's present on all of them.

Is this a know issue? Any workarounds? Would getting a sound card fix this?

Apart from the audio issue (which is annoying) I'm loving the keyboard.

Ant help/suggestions are welcome :)
The problem is a bad earth/ground or cheap leads on your audio some were I would try a ground loop isolator or better connections/leads on your audio. I had this not with the keyboard but from my computer with a cheap lead from audio out to amplifier. I replaced it with a good quality lead and no more noise. The lest connections the better in the audio lines as there the week spots.

This link should help you solve it, Hopefully with no expense.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

Hope it help be nice to hear how you get on.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 790995
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalphy View Post
The problem is a bad earth/ground or cheap leads on your audio some were I would try a ground loop isolator or better connections/leads on your audio. I had this not with the keyboard but from my computer with a cheap lead from audio out to amplifier. I replaced it with a good quality lead and no more noise. The lest connections the better in the audio lines as there the week spots.

This link should help you solve it, Hopefully with no expense.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

Hope it help be nice to hear how you get on.
Good stuff!

iCUE - A CORSAIR Interface
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/icue

Old 07-23-2015, 04:26 PM
gazereths's PC Specs

POST ID # = 791029
gazereths Reputation: 10

Had a read through of that and it seems like an isolator might help between the headphone male jack and the splitter female jack. It's weird that this only started happening when I installed the new keyboard though, and only happens when the backlight is on, I assume it's drawing a lot more power from the usb port than my old keyboard (cheapo backlit rubber dome)

I might get a cheap sound card and see if that helps first, seen this at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-P.../dp/B003ZXDOL6 worth a try for £14.99

Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 AM
digitalphy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 791105
digitalphy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazereths View Post
Had a read through of that and it seems like an isolator might help between the headphone male jack and the splitter female jack. It's weird that this only started happening when I installed the new keyboard though, and only happens when the backlight is on, I assume it's drawing a lot more power from the usb port than my old keyboard (cheapo backlit rubber dome)

I might get a cheap sound card and see if that helps first, seen this at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-P.../dp/B003ZXDOL6 worth a try for £14.99
I read about Asus's Xonar sound cards a few years ago and they had a very good rating was one of the best then so for 15 note's go for it :D

Tags
audio problems, cherry mx brown, help me, interference, k70