Corsair Community

'yatapdong barefo' - dead SSDs?

det

hi there,

guess this is mainly for RAM GUY, but maybe others have some 2c to chip in as well.

i have 2 X32s set up in RAID0 mode as my system partition (C:) for W7-64.

after ~half a year of solid performance the system is dead as of this morning. the RAID is broken, BIOS reports one 'yatapdong barefo' drive instead.

some googling brought up following information:

- many users (also of drives from other manufactures) found their SSDs suddenly dead, reporting only 'yatapdong barefoot-rom'

- many users went through elaborate efforts to nail down the problem and it always seems to be some sort of firmware hick-up in the SSD

- there had been several suggestions how to fix it, including flashing the firmware, but it seems that none of these approaches worked, except for very few users who actually managed to flash their firmware successfully.

- most had to RMA their SSDs

now this is all really bad news. if possible, i'd like to get through this without wasting a lot of time / going through a lot of hassle. since i am traveling soon, i'd like to RMA the drives ASAP.

at this point i don't know if both X32s are broken or only one. i don't know the firmware versions since i put them in the RAID0 right away. i'd like to be sure that both SSDs get the latest firmware so that this hick-up does not occur again. (it won't, right???). also, i want to be sure to have firmware supporting TRIM in case i will use the SSDs as non-raid drives one day.

so i guess my questions basically are:

- can i go for RMA directly or will support make me go through elaborate testing / flashing attempts? (unfortunately i wont have time for this before my trip)

- can i RMA both drives to get their firmware reset/updated even if maybe only one of them is actually dead?

- is my problem the result of old firmware and won't occur again after firmware update?

- i live in the UK, so i understand shipping would be to the netherlands? argh!

thx for your help,

det

@ RAM GUY

replaced? now this sounds more serious than just (re)flashing the firmware.

i have 2 X32s (RAID0), and right now i don't even know which one is dead, if not both of them. can i RMA both (to get the latest firmware for the other one as well) or only the dead one(s)?

thx,

det

@ RAM GUY

ok, i installed XP on an old harddisk and identified the 'dead' X32. it is now 'identified' as 'yatapdon g barfoot-room' with 128gb and firmware '00.p80'. all complete gibberish. the other X32 still seems fine and crystal disk info tells me that the firmware is 1.0. so it definitely needs a firmware update. reading the the posts i get the idea not everyone is able to flash the firmware (possibly depending on the very hardware). it seems that at least some time ago corsair offered to update the firmware for free, via RMA. is this offer still valid or discontinued? i'd rather have it done by corsair and have 2 working SSDs coming back (remember, they are supposed to be in a RAID0 as system partition, only 1 SSD means system down for me).

if firmware update via corsair is still possible, do i need a separate RMA or can i put the dead drive and the firmware upgrade in the same RMA?

cheers,

det

i think i really did it - or maybe not: now the drive is in 'frozen mode'!!??

FIRST flashing the firmware of my still working v1.0 X32 SSD seemed to go alright. except for the struggle to find a SATA channel that made the update program actually see the drive. now crystal disk info reports firmware 2.0 (hmm, i thought it would be only 1.1)

BUT THEN i tried to follow the tutorial for restoring SSD performance, as in using PartedMagic/SystemTools/EraseDisk/InternalSecureErase. this however, was not possible, i get the following error message:

"unfortunately, the disk is reported as being placed in frozen mode (a safe-guard action performed by the computer's BIOS at boot) the security erase command is disabled, and cannot be performed.

instead, do you allow for an external block write operation (dd ...) to now execute against the drive to erase its contents?"

so what is this? i booted several times, i can format & use the drive under win xp. but the drive is still in 'frozen mode'. how do i get past this to restore performance? and/or is the offered 'external block write operation' an equivalent restoration procedure? or does all this indicate a failed firmware flashing after all?

thx for your help,

det

• Corsair Employee
When you get that error just close the application but leave it running so its not trying to read or write to the drive then unplug the power and the data cable, wait about one min then plug the data then the power then run the secure erase that will unlock the drive.

yes! that fixed it.

now i can only hope my RMA (2 days pending) will be processed today so i can ship it before going on vacation...

thanks again, RAM GUY, for your fast and competent help.

/det

Archived