Corsair Community

2 pairs of TW3X4G1600C9DHX best ram settings?

markm75

I'm curious what are the best ram settings with this board to make them run stable, with all 4 slots filled and 8GB..

At either 1333 or 1600mhz...

Should i just set the ai overclock to manual, set the timings to what is on the sticks, then set the dram voltage to 1.8, or should i goto 1.9v since i have 4 sticks..

Any need to play with any other settings..

Has anyone tested this memory and found it to be stable? (with OCCT or prime95 etc)..

ideally i'd like to be able to stay at 1600mhz, but 1333 would be fine too..

Thanks

• Corsair Employee

First you want to get the system stable with all four modules running at 1333MHz, once the system is stable, then we can try 1600MHz. I would try these settings:

Memory Frequency: 1333MHz

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

TCL: 9

TRCD: 9

TRP: 9

TRAS: 24

Command Rate: 2T

If everything appears to be working, then I would run http://www.memtest.org to make sure. In order to get the memory running at 1600MHz, you would need to overclock the CPU, and with four modules in the system you may need to overclock the motherboard as well. You need to get the CPU stable with a 400MHz FSB in order to get the memory to run at 1600MHz, and I would suggest that you drop the CPU ratio (multiplier) to 8x. With four modules you may need to also increase your northbridge voltage to about 1.5-1.55v. Let us know if you run into any problems!

First you want to get the system stable with all four modules running at 1333MHz, once the system is stable, then we can try 1600MHz. I would try these settings:

Memory Frequency: 1333MHz

Memory Voltage: 1.8v

TCL: 9

TRCD: 9

TRP: 9

TRAS: 24

Command Rate: 2T

If everything appears to be working, then I would run http://www.memtest.org to make sure. In order to get the memory running at 1600MHz, you would need to overclock the CPU, and with four modules in the system you may need to overclock the motherboard as well. You need to get the CPU stable with a 400MHz FSB in order to get the memory to run at 1600MHz, and I would suggest that you drop the CPU ratio (multiplier) to 8x. With four modules you may need to also increase your northbridge voltage to about 1.5-1.55v. Let us know if you run into any problems!

When you say for 1600mhz, ill need to overclock the cpu.. what is meant exactly.. ie: i figured i'd just set the fsb strap to 400, the fsb to 400 the ddr freq to 1600.. and set the manual timings and dram volts and slowly up the NB voltage...

I'm not clear on how high is too high on the NB voltage.. i've heard 1.47 should be the max, but you seem to indicate otherwise.

Would i need to mess with the ai overclock tuner setting.. ie: change it from auto to manual (with auto, you can still set dram frequency and various other settings, but it locks the cpu ratio).

If i leave it on auto, the ram comes out at 1601 and the cpu at 3.01ghz..

Do you mean by overclock the cpu, that to run stable at a fsb of 1600, ill need to go higher than 3.0ghz or that the bios will simply report 3.01?

What about voltages for fsb termination or cpu pll.. or even the SB volts.. should these be changed..

Or just change the timings and the dram and maybe the nb voltage if overclocking to 1600?

**Finally.. i'm torture testing things with prime95 via an ubunto linux live cd for now, to prevent corruption.. i wish OCCT had a linux version, as it seems that it can take 10 hours or more with prime95 to determine if stable (is there a faster way via linux boot or even something other than OCCT.. perhaps a vista psuedo live cd of some kind, that could run OCCT?)

Thanks again

As RAM GUY Stated. First test for stability with 333 X 9 and 1333Mhz on the DRAM. This will ensure that you can run with 4 DRAM slots populated as some boards will issue errors with a four DRAM slot population. Once you have ensured that your board allows for a four DRAM slot population, then you can move to increase the DRAM and FSB.

Use Linpack for Stress Testing:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 400
FSB = 400
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1600
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.8v
NB Voltage = 1.4v
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Disabled
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = 67%
NB GTL Voltage Reference: 63%
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

Archived