Corsair Community

Commander Pro Need input on fan curves

newfiend

Ok this is my first Commander Pro Install so I'm learning as I go. Be Gentle I'm a CoPro Virgin :biggrin:

I currently have a Corsair 678c Case.

Front mounted AIO (Corsair H150i Pro) With 3 Corsair ML120 Pro Red fans.

The rear exhaust fan and both top of case exhaust fans are ML140's Pro's (all three are set up as exhaust fans.)

I also added another ML120 Pro to the bottom of the case as an Air intake to help supply the GPU with a little more air.

I installed the thermistors in these locations.

#1 - at the front of the case attached to one of the fans to measure ambient air intake into the case across the AIO radiator, it is placed in "front" of the radiator (not behind it) to get a rough idea of my room temp entering the case.

#2 I placed on the top of the PSU cover just under my GPU. (My GPU is mounted using a Corsair 300mm premium riser cable so both fans on the GPU are view-able through the glass on the side of the case) Vertically mounted. (EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC)

#3 I placed on the "exhaust" side of one of the top case exhaust fans. So I know how hot the case is getting.

My AIO CPU cooler even during heavy gaming hasn't got any warmer than 32-34c. idle temp at the moment is 27.60c.

right now my Ambient case temp reports 27.07c (thermistor #1)

Top Exhaut temp reports 29.71c (thermistor #2)

Case Bottom (by GPU) reports 27.40c

I set custom fan curves for the ML120 Pro (case bottom for GPU intake)

and a custom curve for the ML 140 Pro rear case exhaust fan.

I set both of these fans to increase speed as GPU temp increases.

I set the bottom case fan to reach maximum rpm (2400 rpm) when the GPU temp hits 45c

I set the rear case exhaust fan to hit maximum rpm (2000 rpm) at 45c.

I set the two top exhaust fans to hit maximum rpm (2000 rpm) at 50c based on the thermistor temp at the top of my case.

Do those temps I set for maximum RPM seem to aggressive or not enough?

I'm trying to keep not only the GPU as cool as possible while gaming but the Motherboard components etc. at a safe temp as well.

My GPU Temp hits 70-71c during game play with settings maxed in Quake Champions and resolution set to 3440x1440.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

newfiend~

Edited by newfiend

Everything there sounds good. Your own experimentation will be more telling though, especially during a gaming session. The only additional suggestion that I might add would be to control the case fans on the CoPro from the CoPro's sensors rather than from other sensors. This way the curves will run with or without the software and, especially, at startup.

Everything there sounds good. Your own experimentation will be more telling though, especially during a gaming session. The only additional suggestion that I might add would be to control the case fans on the CoPro from the CoPro's sensors rather than from other sensors. This way the curves will run with or without the software and, especially, at startup.

Thanks for your input. The only reason I set the rear exhaust fan and case floor fan to adjust off the GPU is because it gets warm during gaming and i wanted those fans to crank up as the GPU warms. I think I have them tweaked ok?? They do spin faster as the GPU gets warm.

The rear case fan I set to hit 1250 rpm at 30c on my custom curve. The other fans (top case) seem to be hitting that rpm based on the thermistor top case temp.

I would feel better if my GPU sat around 65c but I guess these RTX cards get a bit warmer than the previous 1080Ti's and from what I read 70-71c on the RTX is still good and Max Temp is @80c. Still for some reason that temp still makes me cringe a bit at 70-71c.

Should I still set the rear exhaust to run off the thermistor exhaust temp in your opinion? Since my GPU is vertically mounted the GPU fans push air toward the top of the case and right in front of the ML140 rear exhaust fan. That's why I set it to speed up when the GPU gets warm.

Thanks again,

newfiend~

Personally, I have a thermistor just a bit above my GPU. It warms up as my GPU warms up so it's a good proxy for GPU heat.

And ... you might want to do a custom fan curve for the GPU.

Ok thank you,

I did set a custom curve on the GPU itself with Precision X1. I set an aggressive fan curve for the GPU and I don't idle the fans on the GPU it sits at 30% minimum and is at 100% by 70c.

I'll see how my current setup works for a bit. If I can't manage the GPU temp when the summer temps hit I'll look into adding another thermistor just above the GPU and set the fans to adjust off of that.

Thanks for your help with my fan curves and the advice on thermistor placement.

newfiend~