Corsair Community

Is there a way to connect 9+ fans using only 1 USB 2.0 header?

Mastermind950

I have 9 fans total. 4x LL120, 2x QL140, and 3xQL120.

I was planning on using 2 of the RGB hubs but I just realized I only have 1 USB2.0 header on the motherboard.

Is there a workaround or solution here?

Also do the fans need to be connected to both the RGB hub and a fan header on the mobo? Or can they get all of their power through the RGB hub alone?

If they need to be connected to mobo fan headers I am going to be coming up well short of the 9 I need. (11 counting the 2 on the CPU cooler)

I was even considering getting 2 more for the cpu cooler because I think the brown noctua fans might stand out but if I'm already running out of room that's not going to work.

Any ideas would be great. Maybe like a PCI card that has fan headers and USB2.0 internal headers? IDK

Crosshair VI Hero

Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL

Edited by Mastermind950

hi buddy...

first go read the FAQ :)

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

with LL multi packs you get RGB Fan LED Hubs.. no usb required

with QL fans you get Lighting Node Cores which do need a usb...

RGB Fan LED Hubs would make life a little easier and indeed relax the need for usb headers... RGB Fan LED Hubs can also be bought singular from the Corsair Web store

The RGB fan led Hub needs to connect somewhere, like a node pro. that's still two USB headers.

The fans need both cables connected. one is for motor power and speed control, the other is only for light, they are totally unrelated.

You can use fan splitters to connect several fans to one header on the motherboard, usually not more than 3 per header, so you should be fine. Then it's just a matter of installing Asus AI suite to set your fan curves with Fan Xpert (saves you from doing it in the BIOS).

• Confused 1

The RGB fan led Hub needs to connect somewhere, like a node pro. that's still two USB headers.

Thank you. I was really confused because the documentation that came with my LLs definitely says a USB2.0 header is required.

So I got 3 multi packs. 2 came with the 'new style' RGB Hub that has USB and sata power cables. 1 came with an 'old style' RGB Hub with the separate Lighting Node.

Will the QL fans work fine connected to the 'old style' RGB Hub? The Lighting Node has 2 ports so if I can get 1 more 'old style' Hub I could connect both to a single Lighting Node and then connect that to my USB 2.0 internal header.

Also what happens to LL fans if they are just connected to a motherboard fan header and the RGB Hub cables are left unconnected? Do they do some sort of default light pattern or just no lights at all?

Unfortunately that would not work because each device has a limit on how many LEDs it can control (see here for details https://proclockers.com/review/corsair-ql-series-ql120-rgb-fan-lighting-node-core-review/2/ )

If you connect 5 QL on one channel, it will only be able to control like one LL on the second channel only.

The node core is basically a one channel node pro and fan hub in one package.

So what you could do is put all the QLs on the node core, and keep the node pro + fan hub for the LL fans.

This way you have space to control more LL fans should you change your CPU cooler to LL fans.

And you'll still have one free channel to add strips later.

Now for the two USB headers, you can get USB header hubs. the NZXT one is pretty popular, i use it myself. There are plenty of options on amazon and other shops. Not sure if Corsair makes one.

Edit : if you leave the RGB cable disconnected, the LEDs are off. there is no controller on the fans. they are just like LED strips. They get power and data from the RGB cable and light up.

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed.

I will use the 5 QLs through the Node Core for now.

The 4 LLs can just operate without LEDs until I get the USB2.0 hub. I can install the RGB Hub and Lighting Node and do all the cable routing so when the USB2.0 hub comes in all I have to do is plug in the header. Awesome solution, you da man.

This will become an issue more and more as modern mother boards are ditching USB2.0 internal headers entirely.