Corsair Community

Insanely high fan speeds and CPU temps after installing iCue.

anemone

Hi all.

I have an H100i v2 cooler, and yesterday I just got a K95 RGP Platinum. I recently decided to get iCue to control the keyboard (didn't have it before since I didn't need it).

My problem is - whenever I install iCue, it heats up my CPU by about 20-30c which causes my fans to turn on and off high speeds AGGRESSIVELY. I have a fan curve set to about 40% speed at 30-61c, but whenever I install iCue (even if it hasn't launched!), my fans go crazy and my CPU temps are unreasonably high.

Restarts don't fix it, and the fans start off incredibly high straight off from startup. The only way to fix it is to completely uninstall iCue, and then restart the computer.

Help would be greatly appreciated, I really would like to actually use the keyboard to its full functionality without insane fan speeds and high temps.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Did you try and set your fans to respond to cpu temp? Don’t do that. It’s not how the cooling process works. Use the coolant temperature (H100i v2 temp). What is that temp reading? That is easiest health check metric. Most people should be +4-6C above room temp at idle.

Pull up the task manager and see how much cpu% CUE is using. If it’s anything more than 5-7% (except when sitting on the keyboard tab and watching the lights animate), go to your Windows settings-> App list and left click on Corsair CUE. Follow the prompts for “modify” to do a repair install.

What should I change then to fix whatever is happening? I just reinstalled iCue and the coolant temps are at like 40-43 Celsius on idle... which seems really high and is concerning seeing as room temp is like 25 or 26 Celsius...

I also checked idle CPU temps before and after installing iCue and idle was about 30-40 Celsius without iCue, and it's 45-55 Celsius with iCue installed, closed even. This is all after I've tried to do a repair install as well.

I feel like these aren't even good temps in their own way with the h100i v2. It could just be me but I see people having way better temps than me, could it be because I haven't re-applied thermal paste in a long time? Not sure if that's something that needs to be done often.

Thanks.

I am concerned about the cooler. 40C idle coolant is about where you might be after hours of full gpu/cpu load on a hot Summer day. Are you having cpu temp issues with other applications? A cooler problem raises the baseline for everything to the coolant temp. At 40C, things like gaming, rendering, and any kind of stress test would be very difficult with very high cpu temps. While some kind of installation error might cause iCUE to use too much cpu resources, it can’t raise your coolant temp by 10C. That is an incredible amount of wattage and beyond what a 100% stress test should reach. It appears you have a cooler problem.

Make sure you haven’t cut power to the pump through the Bios. Pump speed should be around 1900 something for quiet. 2900 or so for Extreme. If it reads several hundred rpm lower, you likely are providing a full 12v. However, the most likely cause is a partial blockage. Sometimes you can see this on the coolant temp by switching from quiet to extreme on the pump when at idle on the desktop. If your coolant makes a sudden and immediate drop by going to the higher speed, there is a blockage. Contact Corsair a Tech Support through the Ticket System or start looking at a replacement of your choosing.