Corsair Community

My first custom loop with HydroX in Mini ITX

Hello everyone. I just wanted to post my first custom loop. I am an original backer for the Ncase M1 over 5 years ago and still use the case for all my upgraded builds. I've always air-cooled before, but this time I decided to go with something with more pizzazz.

CPU: AMD 3950X

MB: Asus ROG Strix B550-I

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming

RAM: 64gb Crucial Ballistix RGB

HydroX: CPU waterblock, GPU block, XD3 pump, 240 radiator, soft tubing

Ocool: 92mm radiator

Case: Ncase M1

HHfWM7Gh.jpg

7gDCciNh.jpg

xPKHY0Ch.jpg

Edited by antzvu

I haven't gotten around to doing full test. There are a few more things I want to finish, but I'll post them when I run a test.

I will say that I've been watching my thermals when on idle and running a few tasks and I wouldn't say the thermals are great.

Going into the build, my expectations were something along the lines of Arctic cold as to get some nice OCing, but that isn't the case. Just by watching some of the temps, idle seems to be at 30-35C in ambient temps of 21C. On some full load work, it's teetering at 65C (probably more if I watched more closely).

As far as my fans, you're right. I've committed to the Corsair Rad and it just didn't work out with the 120mm fans as it wouldn't fit along with the GPU, so this was the solution I came up with with my creative "brackets." LoL. Not going go lie, I'm not TOO keen about the 92mm sitting pretty either, but it doesn't seem THAT bad. Again, I haven't done a full thermal test to know for sure.

Seeing how I've gone with a Mini ITX, I don't think I'll be getting ice cold temps, but from what I've seen online from other people's builds, OCing the AMD 3950x in many applications doesn't yield spectacular results, so OCing may not be worth the thermal trade-offs.

I will say that I like that it looks pretty and I'm jazzed about how it's turned out so clean. I haven't even had the time to take photos of it in RGB action yet. Sigh.

Gotta finish building my custom desk from scrape wood first before I do a lot of things with this build. But for now, I'm relatively happy with how it's turned out so far.

Love the next level fan brackets ^^

How does it do thermally? having the fans actually sitting on the fins, dodgy as it may seem should allow for very few losses in static pressure.

Leaving everything stock may be the best option here.

Even if OCing gets you a good uplift in performance (who is already insane), the power draw and heat generation rises exponentially.

Maybe you'd want to look into those rads : http://www.xs-pc.com/radiators-tx-series/tx240-ultrathin-radiator

I havent red too much about how they perform, but... 20mm thick. That would allow you to comfortably fit slim 120mm fans i suppose.

Worth measuring and checking out.

Edit : this rad + slim fans = 35mm thickness.. only 5mm thicker than your current rad alone.

Edited by LeDoyen

Great build mate. I love small factor builds, especially those that are water cooled - takes a lot of effort. Thermal is always going to be an issue if you are looking to OC the Ryzen. They already run warmer straight out of the box compared to your Intel chipsets. If you're looking to OC permanently then i would recommend a mATX or Midtower case. Thermals just wont cut it in a Mini-ITX.

I run the 3600X factory on default as I do not see the need to OC. Also note that AMD don't provide a lot of headroom to OC compared to Intel where you can clock from 3.8 to 5 whilst AMD will provide a headrom of 400-600MHz