Corsair Community

Windows 10 booting issues after install of new K95 Platinum

skoolz

With my previous keyboard (Logitech 710+), I never had the following issue.

After installing a new K95, my PC will stay stuck on the BIOS loading screen indefinitely when restarting/fresh boot. The remedy is actually unplugging my Razer Deathadder mouse from its USB port. Once that is removed, it boots fine. I can then plug the mouse back in, and it all works perfectly fine (both kb and m).

This only started happening after plugging in my K95 keyboard. The very first time I plugged the keyboard in, while PC was shut down, it didn't boot. I hit the reset button on my PC and it actually booted. But now, it just simply never boots, even via reset button, until I unplug the Razer mouse.

Has anyone ever heard of a K95 causing this problem in combination with a Deathadder?

Edit: It might be important to note that the keyboard is unresponsive during the BIOS splash screen. Hitting the button to enter BIOS, or any of the others, do not do anything.

This is the case both when it won't boot b/c mouse is plugged in, AND when it does boot with the mouse unplugged.

Edited by skoolz
Add details about keyboard responsiveness during bios screen

It might be important to note that the keyboard is unresponsive during the BIOS splash screen. Hitting the button to enter BIOS, or any of the others, do not do anything.

This is the case both when it won't boot b/c mouse is plugged in, AND when it does boot with the mouse unplugged.

Thank you. Sorry about that.

My mobo model is GA-Z77X-UD5H with F14 version of BIOS.

I cannot find a "full USB detection" option.

Note that my PC starts with just the keyboard plugged in, but it does not recognize input on the keyboard from the UEFI load screen even when it does boot.

It looks like putting the keyboard into "bios mode" via F1+Win Lock button allows the computer to boot past post with both keyboard and mouse connected.

This is disheartening if I have to do that every time I want to restart my computer. Ugh.

Can you try soft resetting the keyboard? Unplug the USB cable, hold down Escape, plug it back in. After 15 seconds, let go of Escape. The keyboard should go into rainbow mode, now do a final unplug/replug.

Thank you very much for your reply! Unfortunately, the soft reset did not fix the problem. I tried restarting without going into bios mode after performing the reset, and it hung at post still.

I created a support ticket and they suggested I try the following, but it didn't work:

I'd suggest doing the following steps which can resolve issue such as the one that you have.

-Please make sure to install all updates for Windows.

-Remove CUE software.

-Wipe out registry with CCleaner,

http://www.ccleaner.com/

-Restart your computer

-Reinstall the software(CUE) after reboot. Please make sure you're using the latest version.

Wondering if anyone else has ever seen this?

So get this....

I unplugged the "secondary" USB from my PC. I am using 3.0, so technically I only need one of the two USBs plugged in. My PC now boots fine...

However, this pretty much eliminates the ability to use the USB port on the back of the keyboard. I believe that secondary USB provides power to that port, so I almost feel like this is defective if I can't use the keyboard's entire functionality. :(

So get this....

I unplugged the "secondary" USB from my PC. I am using 3.0, so technically I only need one of the two USBs plugged in. My PC now boots fine...

However, this pretty much eliminates the ability to use the USB port on the back of the keyboard. I believe that secondary USB provides power to that port, so I almost feel like this is defective if I can't use the keyboard's entire functionality. :(

I'd have to agree if you had the second usb cable plugged in.. but you don't. Meaning you are not using the device as designed.. Meaning you are creating the 'issue' dude.. it's there for a reason, It's a pass through no more no less.

I'd have to agree if you had the second usb cable plugged in.. but you don't. Meaning you are not using the device as designed.. Meaning you are creating the 'issue' dude.. it's there for a reason, It's a pass through no more no less.

Well, you clearly didn't read any of this thread. I am clearly aware I don't have the second USB plugged in... I unplugged it on purpose. Perhaps you didn't see the part (the entire thread) where if I have that plugged in, my PC fails to boot.

So yeah, I am NOT creating the issue, dude. I cannot use the passthrough b/c my PC fails to boot. It boots fine when I unplug the passthrough, but then I am missing the passthrough feature. Get it?

Well, you clearly didn't read any of this thread.

I assure you I did buddy... 3rd post in I mentioned the lack of the switch..... been subscribed since the day You posted it.

I unplugged it on purpose. Perhaps you didn't see the part (the entire thread) where if I have that plugged in, my PC fails to boot.

I certainly did.

I cannot use the passthrough b/c my PC fails to boot.

tested the KB on another machine yet?

eliminates the ability to use the USB port on the back of the keyboard.

that's why I answered as you stated because you was usb 3.0 You didnt need it.. just trying to advise you that You do need that cable plugged in if you want that 2nd USB port to function.

I believe that secondary USB provides power to that port,

It does ;)

so I almost feel like this is defective if I can't use the keyboard's entire functionality. :(

yes that would be correct dude but only once you confirm its the keyboard at fault and until you get it on another machine it's all guess work dude.

along the top of this page you will see the 'Edit System Specs' Tab. it's helpful if you fill it in bud.. helps with diagnosing issues at times.

Hows that Ticket going?

I was in no way being a clever clogs or trying to say anything other than if that pass through cable is not connected the usb socket wont work... needed to be said as others might read your post and think because they have usb3.0 they dont need that second cable

I am using 3.0, so technically I only need one of the two USBs plugged in.

that is all dude.. trying to stop future members getting confused by thinking the above statement is true ;) ;)...

Edited by Zotty

Thanks, for the thorough response, Zotty. I definitely interpreted your response as a "it's not the hardware it's the user" type of solution in a bit of a snotty tone. Hence my slightly terse response. However, I have accepted that it could be some other hardware issue on my end as I have not yet tested it on another computer.

But the fact remains that I realize now that for the passthrough to work, both USBs have to be plugged in, but if both are plugged in, the keyboard does not let my system boot. Therefore, I stand by point that I feel like I have a defective product. But I will, in fact, try it on another PC to see the outcome.

Thanks again.

Thanks, for the thorough response, Zotty. I definitely interpreted your response as a "it's not the hardware it's the user" type of solution in a bit of a snotty tone. Hence my slightly terse response.

No worries man.. I understand the frustration ;).. but nah man not my style lol.. just trying help dude, just a normal user like your self ;)

But the fact remains that I realize now that for the passthrough to work, both USBs have to be plugged in, but if both are plugged in, the keyboard does not let my system boot. Therefore, I stand by point that I feel like I have a defective product. But I will, in fact, try it on another PC to see the outcome.

Hope it goes to plan.. once you can confirm its 100% the keyboard you can use this as part of seeking support help/Replacement. its a great KB and you won't regret the purchase :) ;)..

It is hand shake of usb. corsair messed up firmware. You are not only one.

Nothing can do without corsair fix that.

It is possible, it can not be fixed, if problem is sheep usb chip in keyboard.

That k95 it is not onlyone, massive problems also k55 and k70

It is hand shake of usb. corsair messed up firmware. You are not only one.

Nothing can do without corsair fix that.

It is possible, it can not be fixed, if problem is sheep usb chip in keyboard.

That k95 it is not onlyone, massive problems also k55 and k70

I'm beginning to believe you. Unplugging the passthrough USB did help with rebooting... temporarily. Without making any changes, it has now started to hang on post again without the passthrough USB plugged in. Unplugging my Deathadder mouse allows me to reboot. So it seems I am back to square 1.

Maraker, do you have any source to confirm the faulty firmware?

No worries man.. I understand the frustration ;).. but nah man not my style lol.. just trying help dude, just a normal user like your self ;)

Thanks, again. Sorry for my tone earlier. I really do appreciate your involvement.

I'm beginning to believe you. Unplugging the passthrough USB did help with rebooting... temporarily. Without making any changes, it has now started to hang on post again without the passthrough USB plugged in. Unplugging my Deathadder mouse allows me to reboot. So it seems I am back to square 1.

Maraker, do you have any source to confirm the faulty firmware?

No , but I have 6 computer and mac book. Corsair k55 and k70 not work. My 3 other keyboard is fine in all computer.

It have to be usb handshake , because if you unplug keyboard , all software witch poll usb hardware started faster. And leds freeze or other light or key not work problem are firmware problem. I tested by powered keyboard directly by using adjustable powersupply, still caps and num leds freeze after ~5-15 min.

It is not chipset usb driver or bios problem, that is pull **** , corsair support do not know where is problem and ask customer do something random.

If loading USB tracer software:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-event-tracing-for-windows

, everyone can be see failed handshake, if compared other manufactured kb.

shame corsair !

• 1 month later...
I have seen the issue before when a mouse with internal memory or keyboard will be picked up by the pc as a usb boot device and make the machine hang on boot if the bios is set to look for boot device on startup, check your boot order is set to only boot from your hdd and nothing else may help :)
  • Like 1