Corsair Community

Mixed RGB Fans

AMG1626865600

Hi Guys this is my first post on RGB fans I hope i'm in the right place,

I'm new to RGB lighting and I've just built a new PC.

The case i bought is a Corsair Obsidian 500se RGB so the case came with three LL120 fans installed, I then purchased a set of three QL120's to add to the case, so Inside the case now there are 3 LL120's and 3 QL120's

1. Commander Pro that came in the case

1. RGB hub that came in the case

1. Lighting Node core That came with the 3 QL120's

The problem I have is when I plug them all in, I can't change any of the RGB themes all the lights are lit up but you can't change any of the colors or other effects in Icue?

The way I set them up is, I left out the RGB hub completely and plugged all six into the CP then plugged all six RGB connectors into the lighting node core, then connected the core to CP via the USB on the core then plugged both the sata cables in, then plugged the usb cable from the CP into the usb header on my mobo. I hope this makes sense!

Am I doing something wrong or do I need to purchase something else?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Edited by ///AMG

In this configuration, the Core is the controlling device. You must change lighting options from there, not the Commander.

The system is not designed to handle mixed fan types on the same controller. Mathematically, it counts LEDs to make the patterns. You tell it 4 LL fans, it programs 4 fans of 16 LEDs each. When you mix the fans, you mess up the math. Some are easier to work with (3 MLs = 1 HD), but the QL are an odd number (35) and have a lot of going on. The only way to make it work on one lighting channel is to put the QL 1-3, LL 4-6 and then tell iCUE you have 5 QL. The LL fans will not be able to generate the special QL effects and it will make programming difficult. Aside from static patterns, its not great.

The fix would be to put the LL back on the little RGB Lighting Hub that came with the case and then connect that back to Commander in what ever channel they used to be in. Leave the QL on the Core in 1,2,3. In iCUE, this will give you two different controllers (Core and C-Pro) and both sets of fans will act like two independent sets. This will allow the top one to do their special QL things, while the front LL are not scrambled by the odd LED count.

Edited by c-attack

RGB controller can only control the same fan types. You can not mix and match LL and QL on the same RGB Hub. So your 3 LL's will need to be on one RGB hub, the one that came in the case is fine. The QL's will need to be on another, the Node Core in this case. The Node Core and the RGB hub will then connect to the Co Pro. The Node Core to the USB port and the RGB Fan Hub to one of the LED ports. In iCue you would control the fan RGB for the RGB Fan Hub fans, the LL's in this setup, with the Co Pro device tabs. The QL's you would set with the Node Core tabs. Fan speeds with the Co Pro tabs. All six fans powers would connect to the Co Pro. If you add 3 more QL's then they would connect RGB wise to the same device the others are connected to.