Corsair Community

HX1000W causing video problems?

glydur

Originally posted in power supply forum but thinking this forum is more appropriate for getting support answer. Thanks!

I suspect I have a problem caused by my PSU but not certain. My PC began locking up with video artifacting a few weeks ago. Thinking it was the video card I RMA'd it (EVGA GTX280). When I put in the new card I got video for about 30 seconds and then all video went out and stayed out unless I unplugged and reseated the new card (they sent me a GTX470 refurb which was nice). I called EVGA and the support guy told me that the old card had checked out with nothing wrong and perhaps it was my power supply. To shorten the story I found that the hard-wired PCI-E cables from the power supply seemed to be the problem. When I switched to modular PCI-E cables everything worked swell. Problem solved ... for about a week! Last night when I got no video again at power on! I couldn't get video and after a while left it shut down. an hour later I tried again and everything worked.

so.. all this leads me to think that my power supply is slowly going but everything works except the video so I'm wondering if Corsair or anyone has any advice on troubleshooting or opinion on whether this is really a Power issue? I don't have another system or power supply that's new enough to swap parts unfortunately. Thinking of springing for a PS tester or multimeter but I'd hate to spend in the wrong area if this is something else.

Thanks,

Glydur

thanks for your reply. i don't have the manual with me at work so not sure which are 12v2 but originally I had the card attached to the hard-wired PCI-E ports (6+2) - At that point I was getting video artifacting and system hangs requiring a cold reboot. Thinking it was the video card I RMA'd it and then when the new one came it had only about 30-sec of video to a minute before losing all video. Called EVGA and they told me my old card had checked out and I might want to look at power issues. Long story short I found that when I disconnected the hard-wired PCI-E cables and connected two modular PCIE cables to the blue plugs in the PSU and to the video card I got video. About a week later I turned on the system and got no video again but then later in the day I did and at the moment it's working though every once in a while the screen goes black for a sec or two (not too often). I know something's still not quite right because of that. Most recently I used a multimeter on the hard-wired PCI-E connectors (while the modulars powered the card) and they all show good voltage (about 12.7V). I've also replaced the DV-I cable to the monitor and waiting to see if I have more issues.

• Corsair Employee

The Hard wired PCI-E are connected to 12V 1 so please use the modular PCI-E cables and connect them to 12 V2 and see if that helps.

If that does not solve the issue please use the link on the left and we can try and replace it.

Thanks. Sorry for the delay. I will try that. It's connected to the modular cables now. How do I tell whether it's connected to 12 V1 vs. 12 V2? It's currently connected to two of the blue modular connectors but I didn't distinguish which at the time. I'll look at the manual when I get home and see if I can get the V1 vs. V2 info.

Archived