Corsair Community

Unidentified Nodes

randolla

I tried to get this thing working for the millionth time and here is where I am at.

I have three cooling nodes. I have tried to update the FW on two of them and it has failed for both. So now I have two of my three nodes as "Unidentified Node" I tried to update the firmware again and it would not work since I got the message "The selected firmware file is not correct" I got the same message when I tried to go back to the original (v1.2.5) firmware.

Any ideas out there? I can't even buy any more nodes so I am SOL.

So how do I change the Firmware then? I have read and read the forums here and I have not seen anything that tells me what you just did. In fact, I have updated the nodes firmware before using the same process I just tried and it worked successfully., But doing the same thing has screwed up two of my three nodes. So instead of telling me what I can't do wytnyt, how about telling me how to fix this if there is a way to do so.

What is the process to update the firmware of the nodes and can I fix the two bad ones I have now?

Download and install a very very old version of the LINK v2 software e.g. 2.1.1.

Before attempting to update the firmware for the failed nodes, shutdown your computer, unplug the working nodes and turn your computer back on.

When updating the firmware, make sure you have selected the correct firmware update file and device. This is because the early version of LINK v2 does not have any kind of feature that checks the firmware and device before flashing the firmware as you see in the newer ones.

As for the firmware file, i would suggest you use the same file used for the update before it failed.

Note: This is not a guarantee that it will resolve your issue but its something you can try.

Thank you Toasted. This is very good practical advice. Now if only I had the time to try it. I am not sure when I can get to it but I will post my results when I do.

I also imagine that when you say to unplug the working node, that you mean to unplug it from the Link Commander and not the power Molex. Hopefully this will restore my nodes to being recognized by the LC.

But doing this does not solve my other issues. When I had the old software, the LC was able to see and control all of my fans. As time went on however, while the LC was able to see all of my fans, it was unable to control them anymore or keep a custom profile.

This is why I finally tried to update my software and Firmware. The reason that I wanted to update the FW on the nodes is that although I had four fans hooked up to each node, the LC would only see one of them after I had updated the software to the latest Beta. This is obviously wrong and I had hoped that if I updated the FW on the Nodes then MAYBE they just might work like they were advertised to work.

So overall, I am very disappointed in how the LC works (or really doesn't work) and the time and effort (and the $300+ I've spent) that it takes to try to make it work. All I want is a product to work like it is supposed to work. I really don't think that is asking too much.

Archived