Corsair Community

asus striker extreme + XMS2 problems

wolverne1983

Hi guys,

i am having some troubles with my ram, and need some help

currently i have a 2gb stick in slot one and everything is fine with no ram settings entered. i have memtested the ram individually with no problems

but soon as i enter more than one stick, either 4gb, 6gb or 8gb i start having bluescreens. i have tried entering the settings i.e timings of 5-5-5-18, and various voltages of up to 1.9v, but still nothing.

not sure if this helps but i always get errors in test 6 of memtest with more than one stick.

any advice or settings i can try please?

Thank you.

Have you updated to SP1? If not, insert a single stick and update to SP1. Shut down and insert the second stick. Restart.

Be sure not to install any Windows updates to Nvidia graphics cards. They can also cause blue-screens. Rather, update your graphics card at the Nvidia site.

I just noted that you are running with a four DRAM slot population. The only memory Corsair supports in a four DRAM slot population is their Quad kits. This does not mean they will not work, just that you have no recourse to RMA Corsair if they do not work. If there are problems with the DRAM modules, they are still supported via lifetime warranty, but that is for physical defects ie. errors in a two stick kit mode. Be sure that you get the same version DRAM. Be careful here, because there can be the same model but different versions that will NOT play nice together. Matched Quad sets are highly binned modules for a four slot population. The Dual sets are tested as a kit, not a Quad.

So, in summation, it should work, but you are advised to drop the bandwidth to 667Mhz and raise the Northbridge +.2v.

There can be many issues that arise otherwise. Thus you are advised to drop the bandwidth one bin.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

There is a limitation of the On Motherboard (Intel/Nvidia) memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This limitation is across the board with both AMD and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues can arise in the longer term even though you have shorter term stability. The issues seldom damage the DRAM unless you raise the DRAM voltage too high. They damage the on CPU (AMD) memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from--->

Shut the system down. Insert your DRAM in the second set of slots. Slot 2 and slot 4.

Enter your BIOS and set:

AI Tuning : Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex : Disabled
LinkBoost : Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode : Unlinked
FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1066
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz : 1066
MEM (DDR), Mhz : 667
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz : 667

Vcore Voltage : Auto
Memory Voltage :2.1v
1.2v HT Voltage :1.2v
NB Core Voltage :1.40v
SB Core Voltage :1.50v
CPU VTT Voltage :1.25v
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage : Auto
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage : Auto
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage : Auto

tCL (CAS Latency) : 5
tRCD : 5
tRP : 5
tRAS : 18
Command Per Clock (CMD) : 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings

tRRD : Auto
tRC : Auto
tWR : Auto
tWTR : Auto
tREF : Auto
tRD : Auto
tRFC : 60
Async Latency : Auto

CPU Internal Thermal Control : Enabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal : Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E) : Enabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Virtualization Technology : Enabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech : Disabled
LDT Frequency : 5x

After setting to these values, save them and shut down. Insert a single stick of the 6400 into the first slot (Closest to the CPU) and restart to gain POST. If you gain post, shut the system down and insert a second stick in the second slot. Restart and gain Post. If you gain POST, shut the system down and insert the third stick in the third slot. Restart to gain POST. Repeat with the last stick and then boot to the Memtest CD. Allow for two full passes and if stable, shut the system down, enter Windows and post a screenshot of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Archived