Corsair Community

Where is the 550 mb/s??

ZeeRuX

Ok. Ill see. So basiclly there was no point for me in buying this "quick" disc since I cant use it in that speed.. Well ..

I have Sata 3 gbps ports from Intel I can plug it in. But Ill guess the speed will get worser pretty much? Weird since almost every mainboard I have looked at (with sockel 1366) has Marvell Sata 6 gbps ports and not Intel. Isnt this a bit strange? Sata 6 has been out for a while.

Just a (stupid maybe) question:

It says that my Corsair GT 120 gb got a speed of 550/510 MB/S.. When I benchmark the disk I get 389 MB/S ... ? (Using Marvells SATA 6 gbps ports)

WOW ! your lucky, I get 107mb/sec running on a SATA II with ATTO and Corsiar have said "Your Speeds are normal for a SATA II connection" !!!!!!!! :evil:

The x58 chipset is old - that's why there's no native Intel 6Gb/s ports on it. Hence, the 6Gb/s capability is provided by a Marvell controller and it sucks - at least compared to the Intel one fond on newer chipsets like p67/z68.

So yeah, tough luck. But at least your disk is ready for 6Gb/s when you decide to upgrade. Honestly tho, if you're using your SSD as an OS drive and don't transfer a lot of large files from/to it regularly, you probably won't notice the extra speed from an Intel 6Gb/s compared to the Marvell one you got now.

Scooby - I wouldn't say those speeds are anywhere near acceptable for any contemporary consumer performance SSD...

WOW ! your lucky, I get 107mb/sec running on a SATA II with ATTO and Corsair have said "Your Speeds are normal for a SATA II connection" !!!!!!!! :evil:

Your speeds are NOT normal for SATA 2.

I have Corsair Force 3 90GB and I get 283mb/s read and 250mb/s write...

I did however had to reinstall windows a bunch of times, get the right firmware, and did Secure Erase.

Allso to note, 107mb/s dont tell anything. You need the give the prog name you used, every prog is different...

Allmost all device makers use ATTO and so do Corsair, So ATTOs speed are what to look for (Link for ATTO is in left sidepar).

Your speeds are NOT normal for SATA 2.

I have Corsair Force 3 90GB and I get 283mb/s read and 250mb/s write...

I did however had to reinstall windows a bunch of times, get the right firmware, and did Secure Erase.

I done all that too. (2 SSD`s later) Cosair have been in contact and are willing to change the SSD again, but I do not want a 3rd !

Yeah, I feel ya. I am on my 3rd Power Supply from Corsair and this last one is a bit quieter than other one, but condition it is in, is horrible.

Like you can see all cables were extremely used, and box is all scratched.

Customer service is great, no problem there, but when they send you out replacement, you wonder if you should of kept the original...

Honestly tho, if you're using your SSD as an OS drive and don't transfer a lot of large files from/to it regularly, you probably won't notice the extra speed from an Intel 6Gb/s compared to the Marvell one you got now.

sounds good

WOW ! your lucky, I get 107mb/sec running on a SATA II with ATTO and Corsair have said "Your Speeds are normal for a SATA II connection" !!!!!!!! :evil:

Well, if it is an Inspiron 1720 laptop, that was last sold in 2008. It should have the mobile version of the Intel ICH8 chip, which does support SATA II.

However, this might be another example of a gimped laptop at SATA I speeds, although it is a good point that we don't know what you've bench this on. SATA I was plenty for 2.5" HDDs at around 5000 RPM, so what was the point of certifying it at SATA II speeds? Not my thoughts, but Dell's...

There is not such hardware spec as SATA 1 2 or 3 do not confuse it but seems most already have!

If you want to know reason its on the Serial ATA International Organization's website!

Mech HDD's will not be any faster than 150MB/Sec (SATA 1.5Gbit/s) so SATA 3Gbit/s support helps with the burst rate only as does SATA 6Gbit/s

Hmm, sounds like an unhappy owner of a "SATA 6Gb/s" mechanical HDD.

Yes, SATA is a software protocol, that is supported by hardware, the two work together. A SATA 6Gb/s HDD can meet all the necessary protocol specifications, and have the supporting controller in the HDD, and lo and behold, qualifies as SATA 6Gb/s certified. But will it reach beyond SATA 3Gb/s speeds? Under certain circumstances, yes, but for the most part, no. That is a limitation of the mechanical spinning disk and indirect reading system, very simply speaking.

A PC is a system, a sum of it's parts. The lowest performing parts have varying affects on the performance. Adding a better performing part will only work if the other parts it depends upon are at the same level or beyond it in performance. Since it is a system, parts cannot be inserted into it blindly and then be expected to function at their best level if related parts are not at least at that level.

The major missing factor is information, we need to know what we have before we can decide, not where we want to go, but if we can go there..

Archived