Corsair Community

[Q] AX860 Power supply on the way out? Odd shutdown/start up goings on.

johnhardyiv

Hello, I'm trying to troubleshoot some unpleasant behaviour on my four year old build (2016) I put together with the idea of longevity and stability at the time.

i7-6700K oc 4.5Ghz (also happens at stock)

32GB Corsair DDR3*00

Asus z170 Sabertooth TUF moboCorsair

AX860 850W modular power supply

MSI NVIDIA RX2060 Video card

Corsair i115 RGB AIO Cooler (20 degrees idle, 70 under load w/ all cores at 4.5Ghz)

Samsung 970 m.2 NVMe SSD 2TBWindows 10 Pro x64 1909

Lately the system has been periodically (once every few days) shutting completely down (no hints in event viewer), both under load (compiling) and sometimes during a 3D card use transition.

The odd thing is that when it shuts down like this, I cannot immediately bring it back up with the power button. Previously I was able to get back to functioning by holding the power button down for 15-30 seconds, releasing and powering up again. That doesn't seem to be working any more. Now I am having to pull the power cord from the PS and wait for an hour or so, plug it back in and fire up. Thankfully it works when I do this, I'm not sure what the exact rest time it needs is though.

I haven't seen this sort of thing before, esp. the having to wait to get back on line (almost like some devices' thermal warning shutdowns). I've replaced the video card, the AIO Corsair 115i, re-installed Win10 x64 Pro and re-seated everything.

I'm thinking initially it's the PS and am ready to RMA with Corsair as it's in warranty but wanted to see if anyone has seen this behaviour before. Thanks!

Edit: The red/orange power LED is on on the motherboard during this time, there is also flickering light on the ethernet connection during the time I can't power up fully.

• Corsair Employee

Lately the system has been periodically (once every few days) shutting completely down (no hints in event viewer), both under load (compiling) and sometimes during a 3D card use transition.

This sounds like the PSU is doing a protection shut down due to overheating.

Is your fan spinning on the PSU at all?

This PSU has a hybrid/normal switch on it where if it's on normal it's spinning all the time, if it's on hybrid it only spins up if you get to 500W draw or so. When the problem was occurring I had it on 'normal' which would have the fan spinning all the time. I'm currently on hybrid mode to see if that impacts the shutdown issue frequency.

Do the AX860 era PSUs have a thermal shut down failsafe? I've seen other devices, like cable set top boxes that if they thermally shut down you can't restart them unless you physically disconnect the power cord just like I'm experiencing w/ the AX860. Maybe they have something like that in the AX860. Thanks -

• Corsair Employee
This PSU has a hybrid/normal switch on it where if it's on normal it's spinning all the time, if it's on hybrid it only spins up if you get to 500W draw or so.

Yes. I am aware of this.

When the problem was occurring I had it on 'normal' which would have the fan spinning all the time. I'm currently on hybrid mode to see if that impacts the shutdown issue frequency.

Unfortunately, that didn't answer my question. When the fan was in "normal" mode, did you physically see the fan spinning? If the fan "died", the PSU will overheat and will shut down.

Do the AX860 era PSUs have a thermal shut down failsafe? I've seen other devices, like cable set top boxes that if they thermally shut down you can't restart them unless you physically disconnect the power cord just like I'm experiencing w/ the AX860. Maybe they have something like that in the AX860. Thanks -

Correct. Most computer power supplies have "over temperature protection" that shuts them down if the temperatures get to high.

That is why I'm asking you if you have seen the fan spinning.

Yes, I have indeed seen the fan spinning when it was in normal mode and the system was on.

Currently I am in hybrid mode and it is not spinning (I was able to boot the machine successfully this morning and am writing this on it, but not stressing the system.)

I'll kick off a compile and see if the fan spins up when it hits 500W.

[update:] The compile has been going for 10 minutes, the CPU is pegged at 100% on all cores, I am at 4.2Ghz however instead of 4.5 (backed it down to stock to troubleshoot). Temps are at 55 roughly. The fan has *not* spun up on the PSU in hybrid mode interestingly. Now that I think back on it, I may never have seen the shutdown behaviour in hybrid mode, does that make any sense that it would happen in normal mode with the fan on all the time?

[update2:] Compile completed but I got the full shutdown playing a game. This was in hybrid mode. However, in hybrid mode I can now bring the system back up by holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then powering up again. Ugh.

Edited by johnhardyiv

• Corsair Employee
Temps are at 55 roughly.

What temps? The case temps?

However, in hybrid mode I can now bring the system back up by holding down the power button for 30 seconds and then powering up again. Ugh.

If you can soft off/on the PSU, then it's not an over temperature protection latch off.

Edited by jonnyguru

Those are the CPU coretemps just for reference when I was trying to provoke the fan in hybrid mode.

Can you explain the functionality/feature that is requiring me to hold down the power button for X amount of seconds before it can come back on after one of its shutdowns? Is that a PSU thing or the motherboard? Through all this behaviour do you suspect the PSU may have an issue? I'd rather it be that than go the motherboard / CPU route, laugh. Thanks for your insights.

• Corsair Employee

Can you explain the functionality/feature that is requiring me to hold down the power button for X amount of seconds before it can come back on after one of its shutdowns? Is that a PSU thing or the motherboard?

That would be a motherboard behavior.