Corsair Community

Is Corsair trying to avoid its Warranty responsibilities?

Hi everyone,

I bought several Corsair MP600 2TB SSD drives few months ago from two different sources (Amazon and Ebay). All of these units were working fine until few weeks ago when one of them suddenly decided to die.

As with any other company, I created a RMA request and I asked for an Advanced Replacement. This was my first time doing this with a Corsair item.

I created a RMA ticket at corsair.com, but initially, I sent the wrong receipt for it (I bought it from Amazon, but sent an Ebay invoice from one of the other drives).

Later, I sent the right Amazon invoice to correct my ticket (let's see how it goes since the case is still open and awaiting for a response from Corsair).

The thing that brings my attention is the first (and only) communication yet received from a corsair representative, as follows:

"Hi [my name]

Our warranty does not cover 2nd hand goods such as those found on ebay.

As such I am not able to offer you a warranty replacement for this product.

Regards,

Tom

Corsair Technical Support UK

Thank you for choosing Corsair.

http://www.corsair.com

https://www.facebook.com/Corsair

"

This is a weird response, when the Corsair warranty terms (https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033067832-Corsair-Limited-Warranty) states the following in its very first paragraphs:

"PLEASE NOTE:

If you re-purchase the product from another retailer, Corsair will not reimburse you for the cost. We can provide advanced replacements to expedite the warranty exchange process. See below for details."

The keywords here are "re-purchase from another retailer". The only real scenario I can see this phrase applied is when you buy something second hand, hence "re-purchased".

Another note from the Warranty terms (https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033067832-Corsair-Limited-Warranty):

"PLEASE NOTE:

In the United States of America, the following Corsair products are only covered by Corsair's warranty if they are purchased from Corsair.com or a Corsair-authorized reseller:

Gaming chairs

Headsets

Keyboards

Mice

Mouse pads

Peripheral accessories

Elgato-branded products

Corsair's warranty will not be available if you purchase any of the above products from an unauthorized reseller."

What I get from this paragraph is that because my product is a "storage product" and was purchased in the United States, it is excluded from such "unauthorized reseller" restriction.

In other words, this means that this restriction is NOT in effect for any product outside the previous list (such as my "storage product"), even in a case when the item were purchased by the customer from an "unauthorized reseller".

Either way, I provided Corsair with the original Amazon invoice for this exact drive and I expect to have a favorable response and get an Advanced Replacement as soon as possible.

But with this kind of responses and the huge delays working on RMA tickets, I get the idea that Corsair is trying to avoid its Warranty responsibilities at all costs.

I see this behavior completely unfair and mean with us the customers, the ones that with our money keep this company afloat and their salaries paid, even in the middle of this pandemic.

This is my situation. What do you think? Please share your comments below.

First, they don't need to do this to "keep the company afloat". That's just absurd. And making these kinds of absolutely absurd statements doesn't help your case. Sticking to facts, logic, and reason and refraining from this kind of hyperbole is usually a better strategy. (Though, these days, TBH, that is, sadly, questionable.)

The policy is that they apply the warranty only to the original buyer from an 'authorized reseller' and not second hand from someone selling their old stuff. That's not unreasonable - they have no clue what that person may have done to the item before reselling it.

What they seem to fail to realize is that there are 'authorized resellers' selling new product on eBay. NewEgg, for example, sells on eBay. One would think that would be an authorized reseller regardless of channel, right? Without knowing the seller or the condition of the item that you bought, it's hard to say if this applies. But their response seems to be a blanket statement - anything on eBay is second hand. And that is demonstrably untrue and absurd.

"If you re-purchase the product from another retailer, Corsair will not reimburse you for the cost. We can provide advanced replacements to expedite the warranty exchange process. See below for details."
That looks like it's referring to when you need a replacement ASAP. If you choose to buy a 2nd one for a quick replacement, Corsair won't refund the 2nd purchase for you. If you need a quick replacement they have an Advanced RMA - and that's what the "See below for details." links to.

This warranty is limited to the original purchaser and is non-transferable, except where prohibited by applicable local law.
This is the part that applies in general to an eBay purchase (presumably from a person and not an authorized reseller).

As for the bit about the items and authorized / unauthorized resellers - I haven't seen that before, must be a recent addition to the warranty text. It'll be interesting to find out why it's there.

DevBiker, the wording's odd, but yeah, if you purchase from NewEgg on eBay your warranty's intact. An authorized seller's an authorized seller.

The policy is that they apply the warranty only to the original buyer from an 'authorized reseller' and not second hand from someone selling their old stuff. That's not unreasonable - they have no clue what that person may have done to the item before reselling it.

This has no sense. Any purchaser can create the same kind of abuse or damage to any computer device device and/or accessory as any "authorized" or "unauthorized" seller. In any case the burden to check for any misuse of the product must remain on the warranty provider, since is its best interest to avoid being abused.

The real reason behind this measure is to avoid "resetting" the warranty period after each subsequent sale. This measure is designed to drop the warranty when the user sells the product (most users upgrade parts of their systems before 5 years).

It is obvious that there should be some "authorized" and "unauthorized" sellers on Ebay, and on any other platform, even inside Amazon, Target, Newegg and many others, since most of them are online marketplaces now. So, that blanket statement has no sense.

So, in the warranty conditions it clearly states that the following categories of items are NOT covered with their warranty if purchased through an "unauthorized" reseller (specifically here in the U.S.):

"PLEASE NOTE:

In the United States of America, the following Corsair products are only covered by Corsair's warranty if they are purchased from Corsair.com or a Corsair-authorized reseller:

Gaming chairs

Headsets

Keyboards

Mice

Mouse pads

Peripheral accessories

Elgato-branded products

Corsair's warranty will not be available if you purchase any of the above products from an unauthorized reseller."

What happens with the "storage products"?

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't cover them since "storage products" are not included in this section of their own warranty terms.

By adding provisions for those products inherently creates a distinction between the ones that can get warranty when purchased from unauthorized resellers and those that can't.

Edited by Technobeard
added BBCode for quotes

This has no sense. Any purchaser can create the same kind of abuse or damage to any computer device device and/or accessory as any "authorized" or "unauthorized" seller. In any case the burden to check for any misuse of the product must remain on the warranty provider, since is its best interest to avoid being abused.

The real reason behind this measure is to avoid "resetting" the warranty period after each subsequent sale. This measure is designed to drop the warranty when the user sells the product (most users upgrade parts of their systems before 5 years).

It is obvious that there should be some "authorized" and "unauthorized" sellers on Ebay, and on any other platform, even inside Amazon, Target, Newegg and many others, since most of them are online marketplaces now. So, that blanket statement has no sense.

So, in the warranty conditions it clearly states that the following categories of items are NOT covered with their warranty if purchased through an "unauthorized" reseller (specifically here in the U.S.):

"PLEASE NOTE:

Gaming chairs

Headsets

Keyboards

Mice

Mouse pads

Peripheral accessories

Elgato-branded products

What happens with the "storage products"?

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't cover them since "storage products" are not included in this section of their own warranty terms.

By adding provisions for those products inherently creates a distinction between the ones that can get warranty when purchased from unauthorized resellers and those that can't.

I think your misunderstanding the term ONLY here. Those products only get a warranty if they are purchased from an authorized reseller or Corsair but that doesn't mean that they grant you a warranty if the product isn't listed there.

Storage isn't a huge part of their sales, and while it's odd that it was not included there is no inherent distinction between products that are and aren't listed there. The lack of inclusion doesn't create or imply a distinction.

Edited by Inheritance