Corsair Community

AX850 PSU and 2080TI

ntbaker

I just finished a new build that includes the AX850 PSU and an EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080 Ti. I initially connected power via the included modular PCI-e cable included with my PSU but noted that it is a single cable with two connectors for the card. I keep reading that we should be running two separate cables to power the 2080 Ti, especially if OCing. However, there is no way to make the included cables look good with extra connectors hanging off them. So I guess I have a few questions:

A) Is there any truth to the idea that I should be connecting my card via two separate cables or is a single cable with two connectors fine?

B) If I should be using two individual cables, I have some modular cables from an old AX860 PSU that are single cables with single connectors. Would they still be compatible with my new AX850? The cables have AX760/860 Only stamped on them, which makes me wary of trying.

• Corsair Employee

Which AX850 do you have? An old one or the new 80 PLUS Titanium version.

The new version should have multiple PCIe cables that you can use in order to run two separate cables to your graphics card.

The AX850 should have two individual pci-e cables to use. You just don't want to use the cable that has dual connectors on a 2080ti card. It draws too much power to pull through a single cable. That's why you want to use two. The good news is you can use your ax860i pci-e cables. The only difference between type 3 and 4 is the 24 pin EPS cables. The other cables are cross compatible.

Here is the corsair cable compatibility chart.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

• Corsair Employee
The AX850 should have two individual pci-e cables to use.

That's why I'm asking which AX850 he has.

The original "80 PLUS Gold" version had a single 12-pin that split into two 6+2-pins.

We can't assume OP is using all new parts.