Corsair Community

Gamescom reveal thoughts

Riekopo

http://i.imgur.com/FToUird.jpg This is wrong. The new Xbox One controllers have a 3.5mm jack.

http://i.imgur.com/wfQVfvX.jpg This is really weird...

My thoughts about the new product aesthetics: One of the main reasons I started using Corsair products was because of their understated and classy look. The other main reason being the quality hardware. The software is another story. However, the recent products have completely ditched that design. The new products are completely the opposite. They are tacky, loud, and scream gamer. Why the change?

Lights on the microphone boom have never been useful in my experience. Mice with that many buttons on the side have never been comfortable or been easy to use in my experience either. I would like to know exactly what sensor is being used in the mouse. Why move the word Corsair away from the logo onto the left mouse button? It looked better where it was. You literally just fixed the logo now you made another pointless change.

The current standard lighting effects are nice for showing off in a showroom, but they have no practical value. I suggest creating standard lighting effects like FPS, MMO, RTS, etc. Or even better, profiles for specific games created by Corsair or game developers. Two big changes that you could make to improve the keyboards would be higher quality keycaps like doubleshot ABS, PBT, PBT+POM and a standard bottom row.

The new Cherry MX switches look interesting, but I need more information on them like actuation force and some decibel comparisons. I would like to know what specific Dolby surround technologies are being used in the new headsets. Also, the frequency response, battery life, latency, max volume, weight, headband pressure, audio fidelity.

• Corsair Employee

Hey Riekopo,

Thanks for your feedback.

1.) The 3.5mm port was just newly announced. Existing controllers required an adapter.

2.) The picture is meant to be polarizing. I'm not a fan of it but it's not for everyone.

3.) Most people feel differently, actually. STRAFE's design has been a big success and a lot of people like how it looks and feel despite the plastic. I don't think they're tacky and I really liked how STRAFE RGB looks. They are going to lack some features of the K70 line-up but that is to be expected since these products are meant to co-exist, not replace. You lose aluminum and media keys but you gain USB pass-through, brighter lighting (from the white backplate), and its $149.99.

4.) Lighting on the microphone boom can be enabled or disabled. The buttons on the side of the headset aren't very many either.

5.) It is a 12000 dpi optical sensor. We'll have more details later. We moved Corsair lettering away because most people gave feedback that they only wanted the logo, not the words in that region.

6.) Lighting profiles are for users who aren't advanced as yourself and are meant to "set it and forget it," something many users wanted. People who want to customize the lighting will still be able to do through CUE.

7.) We can improve the keycap quality but as you know, PBT keycaps are very expensive. You can't include PBT keycaps onto a RGB keyboard and keep it at a competitive price. It would easily add $30 (for example) to the keyboard and most people won't necessarily feel the increase in price justifies the quality.

8.) All details will follow soon. This was more of an announcement than a release. I'll be working on getting details out shortly.

One thing to note, when we design our peripherals, we have to cater to ALL crowds. I, myself, used to maintain that X feature is required because Y enthusiast demands it, and etc. However, our history of selling peripherals now (since 2011) has allowed us to gain a ton of feedback and experience has helped immensely. Our software on first iteration is just as powerful as today but it didn't help no one really knew how to use it. Now that we have improvements like simple mode, it has increased ease of use and the feedback from it has been great. I stress that when you review our line-up, you have to take much more holistic view. You're not a typical user, persay, and that is okay. This is why we release products at different price points with different features for everyone.

One slightly offputting thing I noticed was the yellow accent on the side of the mouse. It's a pretty non-neutral color design which isn't the best thing for an RGB peripheral imo. Everything else about it looks pretty great, though. Is there going to be an all-black version of the mouse like with the Void headsets?

Please for the love of god tell me your making other colors on the mouse the yellow is a no go for me id like black or maybe a chrome look p.s also noticed the headset was in different colors i like the black headset and will probably be getting it

7.) We can improve the keycap quality but as you know, PBT keycaps are very expensive. You can't include PBT keycaps onto a RGB keyboard and keep it at a competitive price. It would easily add $30 (for example) to the keyboard and most people won't necessarily feel the increase in price justifies the quality.

I would buy them if you sold them separately as an upgrade.

I've only owned the K70 RGB for less than a month and the keycaps on frequently used keys, especially enter & spacebar, are already starting to shine up.

• Corsair Employee
One slightly offputting thing I noticed was the yellow accent on the side of the mouse. It's a pretty non-neutral color design which isn't the best thing for an RGB peripheral imo. Everything else about it looks pretty great, though. Is there going to be an all-black version of the mouse like with the Void headsets?

It was meant to be branding (since yellow is our official color) but I do understand what you mean. I'm collecting feedback on it now based on everyone's reactions.

• Corsair Employee
I would buy them if you sold them separately as an upgrade.

I've only owned the K70 RGB for less than a month and the keycaps on frequently used keys, especially enter & spacebar, are already starting to shine up.

We have many more surprises in store... ;):

It was meant to be branding (since yellow is our official color) but I do understand what you mean. I'm collecting feedback on it now based on everyone's reactions.

I'll add myself to that list, an all black version would look best in most situations. I do understand the branding but it kinda clashes with other things. Both M65 and Sabre all all black too.

Man oh man, that Scimitar. You guys have no idea how happy I was when I first saw it. Almost had tears of joy.

Ever since Corsair ventured into the peripheral market, I wished they'd implement a better version of the numpad mouse (let's face it, it's the most popular and most successful type of an MMO-designed mouse. The M90's design was pretty interesting, but I just couldn't get used to it. I just couldn't. No matter how many times I try). I've been waiting for so long, but the wait is almost over. Not only you get a better 'Naga', but you could slide these side button to whatever feels comfortable for you. That's what sets the geniuses at Corsair apart from the competition, and this is what'll keep me buying their stuff.

Can't. Wait.

Are there any plans to do a K70 RGB update, with the new LED controller, USB Passthrough and the silent Cherry MX Browns?

I wish they would do a voluntary exchange program for owners of the original RGB keyboards. I would like to send it in and get a revised version with a working LED controller.

I wish they would do a voluntary exchange program for owners of the original RGB keyboards. I would like to send it in and get a revised version with a working LED controller.

Well I held of purchasing one due to the LED issue. If they did the above, I would buy it instantly.

Please make an all black version.

As soon as I saw this new mouse I was so excited (especially as I have actually been looking at getting a new mouse), but with that yellow I really doubt I'll buy it myself and stick with my M90. Which is such a shame as the mouse itself is perfect with the physical design, the buttons and that they are moveable.

However, yellow is a colour that I can not stand anyway and would be the ONLY yellow thing in my setup/room/house. And for that reason alone I'm hugely disappointing and considering not purchasing it. Without that yellow, It'd be a definite purchase.

What I don't understand is why make a black, white, titanium and a special edition yellow headset and yet only make a single yellow mouse? (Great headset btw another purchase from me there to replace my 1500)

Anyway, here's to hoping that you announce a plain black mouse or even interchangeable colours pretty soon.

Are there any plans to do a K70 RGB update, with the new LED controller, USB Passthrough and the silent Cherry MX Browns?

Quick correction, from what I've understood the silent switches are only a variation of the red and black ones. So they won't have any tactile feedback. If I'm wrong and there's a silent brown version too I'll be happy to be wrong though.

If that means PBT keycaps then I'm excited. Heh :)

I hope so too. I was hoping Vortex would release a PBT+POM set for the Corsair keyboards, but they just showed some pictures on Facebook and it looks like they're just doubleshot ABS. :(

I hope so too. I was hoping Vortex would release a PBT+POM set for the Corsair keyboards, but they just showed some pictures on Facebook and it looks like they're just doubleshot ABS. :(

Can confirm the ones the recently posted on Facebook are ABS. :(

The thing is that it is working, it just struggles with outputting 16M colors in dynamic situations. IE, you can enable the 16M color mode, but if you use lighting effects that use colors that are within a certain spectrum of your base colors, your KB will flicker.

I've grown accustomed to the non 16M mode, and find that the lighting effects are quite the hoot to watch. :)

And BTW, there was a refund offer a while back, if the controller is that off putting to you, perhaps you should check to see if that is still an option. (Have no idea, so don't quote me on this. ;))

Cheers,

The thing is that it is working, it just struggles with outputting 16M colors in dynamic situations. IE, you can enable the 16M color mode, but if you use lighting effects that use colors that are within a certain spectrum of your base colors, your KB will flicker.

I've grown accustomed to the non 16M mode, and find that the lighting effects are quite the hoot to watch. :)

And BTW, there was a refund offer a while back, if the controller is that off putting to you, perhaps you should check to see if that is still an option. (Have no idea, so don't quote me on this. ;))

Cheers,

I've been using 512 color mode when using reactive lighting and other animations. Whenever I'm just using a static mode, I flip it into 16.8m color mode.

I wish 16.8m color could be assigned to modes individually. Hopefully this won't be an issue at all with the Strafe RGB!

Archived