Corsair Community

Loop complexity/restriction with the XD5

Zone55555

I'm swapping out my H150i for a Hydro X loop.

The Corsair Configurator's suggested for me a parts list which looks essentially like the following:

XD5 -> XC7 -> XR7-480 -> XR7-480

(No GPU blocks for my Aorus RTX2080 8G yet, dang. Someday? Hopefully.)

But I'm also on an ASUS Maximus XI Formula motherboard so I'll be looping through the VRM block as well, making my actual loop just a touch more complicated than the configurator plans upon:

XD5 -> XC7 -> Maximus XI Formula -> XR7-480 -> XR7-480

This will be my first custom loop, so I'm starting with soft tube. Of course, compression fittings at each join, and while I don't currently intend to have any 90-degree adapters (or even 45), I do need to build in a Y-adapter and ball valve for a drain port somewhere, and it'd be nice to have the option to use some angles for aesthetic purposes.

Going off reading for generic loops on a D5 has started to give me "the fear" about loop restrictiveness and effective flow rates. I can't imagine this is too abnormal a scenario though, so maybe someone's built one of these and can confirm experiences? I don't doubt the configurator, I'd just like some support for what it's saying.

Worst case I could always add another XD5 in there somewhere and complicate my loop, the 1000D has plenty of space to build in, but I'd rather not get trapped into that if I don't have to, any more than I'd like to build a loop that's already at effectively maximum pump capacity before a GPU block even becomes available. The dual 480s are gross overkill for just the i9-9900k and the VRMs, but like I say I fully intend to incorporate GPU cooling when I can.

Thanks in advance for any war stories.

You won’t need to worry. I just finished doing this on a Formula XI, 2x360 (XR5), GPU, XC7 Cpu block. I did it in a medium sized case with some constraints and had to use a lot (10!) 90 deg fittings. Aside from the first fill from empty and getting the flow going, it’s been a non-issue. I can use medium 2500 rpm pump speeds without penalty. Edited by c-attack

The only thing to watch out for is you won't get any drain back from the outflow tub back into the pump. Depending on loop design that may or may not pose a problem, but you might need to disconnect the primary out tube to drain that section. Using the ball valve/drain in that beginning flow section via T/Y or whatever does address that, but may not be realistic in smaller or cramped builds.

• Corsair Employee

1 XD5 unit will be more than sufficient for your system.

From our Custom Cooling FAQ

Q: How many water blocks and radiators can one Pump/Reservoir Combo support?

A: This unit delivers a head pressure of 3.9 meters, powerful enough to provide adequate flow through a custom cooling loop of at least four water blocks and three radiators.

1 XD5 unit will be more than sufficient for your system.

From our Custom Cooling FAQ

Q: How many water blocks and radiators can one Pump/Reservoir Combo support?

A: This unit delivers a head pressure of 3.9 meters, powerful enough to provide adequate flow through a custom cooling loop of at least four water blocks and three radiators.

Thanks! I'm sure some of these questions are pretty basic, and filtering out Hydro-X specific knowledge from the old guidance provided on the net for other offerings will become easier the more systems get built.