Corsair Community

Can’t change speeds on fans connected to h100i se

Sythosz

Help! I can’t control the fan speeds of my h100i platinum se!

Alright so I’ve got myself a bit of an issue, I switched cases to a 465x to vastly improve airflow and looks of my computer, and I also bought a h100i platinum se to add to the RGB goodness.

When I first put it together I attached the radiator to two of the front three intake fans and mounted the included cooler fans as an outtake, however I made a mistake, I attached the power connectors for the outtake fans to the pump to draw power from,

I already had ICUE installed to color my k70 and void pro, and I was able to control the fan speeds of the fans connected to the pump, however I noticed that only the outtake fans were affected. I checked the wiring and swapped the power connectors so that the proper fans were connected to the pump.

This is when things went awry. When I tuned the computer on after I switched the power cords, the outtake fans that are now connected to the mobo instantly pushed themselves up to full boar, causing a loud and annoying noise, I can change that in the bios and this is where why first question comes in, how do I do that?

The next problem I encountered was my inability to control the fan speeds of the fans attached to the radiator. Then the final problem was ICUE not correctly displaying the cpu temp.

All the cords are connected properly and I’ve double and triple checked them. The RGB works fine.

How do I resolve these issues?

TL,DR: I can’t control the fan speeds of the fans attached to my radiator of my h200i, when different fans connected to the pump I was able to control the speeds of. All the connections are sound.

The 465x comes will three LL120 PWM fans in front. If they are properly connected to the pump’s fan controller, they should be controllable in iCUE.

Your ML-RGB high speed fans that came with the cooler are also PWM. The bios should detect this automatically and apply the proper control mechanism. You will need to set an appropriate curve. It will default to cpu temp and that is likely the source of the erratic and overly reactive behavior. Best place to make adjustments is the QFan control box in the EZ BIOS. It’s easy to see with its graphs.

In order to see CPU temp, you must add it your dashboard in iCUE. What you see on the H100i page is the coolant temperature. That is the control variable for the fans, the measure of how much heat is in the cooling system, and distinctly different from cpu temperature.

We can't help you troubleshoot based on "they can't be controlled". Assuming you now have them properly connected, the next place to look is the H100i control panel, Performance Tab in iCUE. If you can show up a screen shot of what you are doing.

Sometimes you get a weird connection between a fan connector and pins. Try disconnecting and then reconnecting the fans to the pump splitter. You can also try swapping them 1 <-> 2, although that is less helpful when each fan has its own independent control channel.

That’s the catch, the fans are properly connected but their speed cannot be controlled, they stay steady at 700-750rpm

That would indicate that the speed is actually being controlled.

We need more information to help you with this.

First, what's the temperature of the cooler?

Second, what performance profile/fan curve do you have it set to?

A screen cap of the Performance section of the cooler's configuration would answer both of these.

The fans increase in speed when the cpu temp increases, and when I go to the performance tab and try to change the fans, for example I would want to be browsing the web, I would want zero RPM, but when I switch the settings the fan speeds do not change. And as for the temperature it stays somewhere around 26 C

I’ll post a picture or vid soon, I’ve got to boot my computer up

OK, I'll take an intuitive leap... you have not created your own fan curve yet. You do that by selecting the + button in the Performance Tab for the cooler. However, those radiator fans are not supposed to change with CPU temperature. That's not how it works and setting your fans to run any speed does not change what happens between your CPU and socket pins. CPU transfers heat to the cooler by conduction. That rate is fixed and always the same. The cooler takes that heat and dumps it elsewhere. If the cooler takes on more heat than it releases, then the coolant warms and the fans will increase to try and bring that number back to where it started.

If you want to get into zero RPM mode, you'll need to manually create a profile for it or toggle the fans on/off manually. I suggest you don't. Set them as low as possible. First, the difference between no fan movement and minimum speed is quite a lot. Once you decide you want to do some work, you can't just get rid of all the heat that piles up in the cooler. If you are on the desktop doing whatever, then decide you want to play a game, you are starting at +8-10C warmer than you would have been with low fan speed. Once you add load, then you are not going to be able to reduce it quickly. Ultimately it should balance eventually, but it becomes a constant CPU temp penalty. If you are fine with that to reduce your fans from 600 rpm to zero, then OK. Second, the it requires manually managing the fans. If you set it to the minimum, you can leave the profile flat across much of the temp range and they automatically slope up at more concerning levels. No fiddling. Some safety. If you leave your fans off and then the PC start to do something with you not paying attention (like a nice background archive/index/Virus scan run), the end result is on you. The motherboard will shut the PC down to protect itself so damage is not likely, but why take all these steps to increase performance and then toss them all away?

Edited by c-attack