The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 11:42 PM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 869906
Specter Reputation: 22
Default No Corsair Link intregration with RGB fans

So I watched the full review and all I can say is wow. I cannot believe the LEDs on the fans cannot be software controlled.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to the 90's. We will now have cables running outside of our cases again.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 PM
IcEWoLF's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870030
IcEWoLF Reputation: 10

Corsair wanted to sell their controller so bad so they could squeeze every cents/dime out of their customers.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:04 PM

POST ID # = 870179
vsg Reputation: 10

Well, you would have to have a controller for integration with Corsair Link to begin with. I would say that is still their plan, but yes it should have happened at launch.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870434

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsg View Post
Well, you would have to have a controller for integration with Corsair Link to begin with. I would say that is still their plan, but yes it should have happened at launch.
Not really, we did not need a controller. What we needed was a cable that connected the RGB hub to the Commander Mini the same way the Lighting node is connected. But instead they decided to go with a manual controller, they did not even include the optional cable to connect it to the Commander Mini which means there is a strong possibility that it cannot connect to it at all.

As a test I would like someone with a commander Mini connect one of these fans to is RGB connection and see what happens in terms of colour control.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:45 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870468
red-ray Reputation: 81
Question How many wires does each HD120 RGB LED fan have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter View Post
As a test I would like someone with a commander Mini connect one of these fans to is RGB connection and see what happens in terms of colour control.
Looking at http://www.corsair.com/en/hd120-rgb-...-120mm-pwm-fan I can see these are PWM fans, so there must be at least a 4-pin cable, but to connect them to a CL Mini the LEDS will need to be 12 volt common anode and there will need to be another 3 control wires.

How many wires does each HD120 RGB LED fan have?

Last edited by red-ray; 09-07-2016 at 04:47 AM.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:43 PM

POST ID # = 870516
Exodin Reputation: 10

One thing bothers me I read the manual and there is no off function for the LED lights. SO CAN YOU TURN OFF THE LIGHTS ON THE FANS(SD AND HD)? There are allot off instances where I wish to have my lights turned off except the monitor.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 PM

POST ID # = 870576
vsg Reputation: 10

Quote:
Not really, we did not need a controller. What we needed was a cable that connected the RGB hub to the Commander Mini the same way the Lighting node is connected. But instead they decided to go with a manual controller, they did not even include the optional cable to connect it to the Commander Mini which means there is a strong possibility that it cannot connect to it at all.

The Commander Mini is a controller though. That's what I meant.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870586

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
Looking at http://www.corsair.com/en/hd120-rgb-...-120mm-pwm-fan I can see these are PWM fans, so there must be at least a 4-pin cable, but to connect them to a CL Mini the LEDS will need to be 12 volt common anode and there will need to be another 3 control wires.

How many wires does each HD120 RGB LED fan have?
The video in the original post shows the connector. It looks exactly like the connector the LED strips use that connects to the commander mini. A 4 pin connector with a LED strip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodin View Post
One thing bothers me I read the manual and there is no off function for the LED lights. SO CAN YOU TURN OFF THE LIGHTS ON THE FANS(SD AND HD)? There are allot off instances where I wish to have my lights turned off except the monitor.
That is correct, you cannot turn off the lights on the fans. If they were software controlled then customers could set 0,0,0 to turn off the LED similar to the lighting node or the commander mini, or even the AIO coolers.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870606
Question Maybe they are either not common anode or not +12 volts.

Quote:
The video in the original post shows the connector. It looks exactly like the connector the LED strips use that connects to the commander mini. A 4 pin connector with a LED strip.
It looks like it should fit, so I have to wonder why Corsair don't specify these fan LEDs can be controlled by a CL Mini or Lighting Node.

Maybe they are either not common anode or not +12 volts.

Corsair should publish the specification, but as usual they have failed to do this.

Corsair what is the connection specification for the HD120 RGB fans?

Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 PM
Kapitikarl's PC Specs

POST ID # = 870798
Kapitikarl Reputation: 10

Well I have a commander mini and got all excited about the release of the HD fans. It has all fell flat on its face if I cannot connect these fans to the commander mini and control them using the link software.

I really want RGB in my chassis, Corsair. You missed the boat with the RGB mouse mat - I ended up buying a a Razer instead (the only Razer product I have I hasten to say).

I hope you get this sorted soon - you have really good gear IMHO but sometimes you just get it woefully wrong.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 871169

I think Corsair needs to take a look at NZXT Aer RGB fans to learn how to release a proper software controlled RBG fans.

NZXT won in software controlling RGB with the full spectrum of colours.
They also won by releasing a 140mm fan along side the 120mm version, unlike Corsair only providing 120mm and who knows when the 140 RGB fans are coming.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:16 AM
Kapitikarl's PC Specs

POST ID # = 871684
Kapitikarl Reputation: 10

Checking NZXT out now :D

Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM
mpoffo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 874490
mpoffo Reputation: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitikarl View Post
Checking NZXT out now :D
I would really like to stick with Corsair but have to admit I might check these out as well. If only we could get some official clarification on things it would help me decide.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Zaleo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 891547
Zaleo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
It looks like it should fit, so I have to wonder why Corsair don't specify these fan LEDs can be controlled by a CL Mini or Lighting Node.
As the LED's on de HD120 can be controlled somewhat independently (Hence the cool looking rotation effects) and the LED's on the Link lighting node are always all the same colour I suspect the HD set has some bus-communication protocol and cannot be powered with just a 4 pin RGB- power cable. :

Old 02-16-2017, 06:08 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 891548
Arrow The world has changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaleo View Post
As the LED's on de HD120 can be controlled somewhat independently (Hence the cool looking rotation effects) and the LED's on the Link lighting node are always all the same colour I suspect the HD set has some bus-communication protocol and cannot be powered with just a 4 pin RGB- power cable. :
Yes, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165029.

The world has changed and now there is the CORSAIR Lighting Node PRO