Corsair Community

Yet Another Force GT Disappearing Act

I'm seeing these same issues pop up all over the place, so I figured I would throw my own problems out here so Corsair/SandForce can see that there is definitely an issue at hand.

I've been running the 60 GB Force GT drive (CSSD-F60GBGT-BK) for about 2 weeks now, and I'm another lucky guy dealing with BSODs followed by the motherboard (Sabertooth X58) not seeing the SSD after a restart. Only a shutdown followed by a cold boot will make the drive recognizable by the motherboard. Even then, I need to enter the BIOS and change the drive order, since my secondary drive (WD VelociRaptor 450 GB) jumps into place as the primary boot drive after the SSD disappears.

Troubleshooting steps: Initial setup had both HDDs connected to the Marvell 6G ports on the mobo (or which there are 2). BSOD

1) Move secondary drive to the Intel 3G ports, isolate the SSD on the Marvell controller - BSOD

2) Swap 6G cables (came with mobo) while still having just the SSD connected to the 6G controller - BSOD

3) Move SSD to Intel SATA II ports; nothing connected to 6G ports - BSOD

Before #3, I thought the problem was with the motherboard's Marvell 6G controller. However, disabling that controller and running on the Intel SATA ports still gives me a BSOD, so that's when I started looking at the SSD as the main cause.

All BIOS, Firmware and drivers are up-to-date on this brand new system.

Anyone have any ideas besides waiting on a firmware update for the GT series? I've already started the RMA process to get a replacement motherboard from Asus, but after reading through these forums it looks like the motherboard is not the culprit.

Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

I'm seeing these same issues pop up all over the place, so I figured I would throw my own problems out here so Corsair/SandForce can see that there is definitely an issue at hand.

I've been running the 60 GB Force GT drive (CSSD-F60GBGT-BK) for about 2 weeks now, and I'm another lucky guy dealing with BSODs followed by the motherboard (Sabertooth X58) not seeing the SSD after a restart. Only a shutdown followed by a cold boot will make the drive recognizable by the motherboard. Even then, I need to enter the BIOS and change the drive order, since my secondary drive (WD VelociRaptor 450 GB) jumps into place as the primary boot drive after the SSD disappears.

Troubleshooting steps: Initial setup had both HDDs connected to the Marvell 6G ports on the mobo (or which there are 2). BSOD

1) Move secondary drive to the Intel 3G ports, isolate the SSD on the Marvell controller - BSOD

2) Swap 6G cables (came with mobo) while still having just the SSD connected to the 6G controller - BSOD

3) Move SSD to Intel SATA II ports; nothing connected to 6G ports - BSOD

Before #3, I thought the problem was with the motherboard's Marvell 6G controller. However, disabling that controller and running on the Intel SATA ports still gives me a BSOD, so that's when I started looking at the SSD as the main cause.

All BIOS, Firmware and drivers are up-to-date on this brand new system.

Anyone have any ideas besides waiting on a firmware update for the GT series? I've already started the RMA process to get a replacement motherboard from Asus, but after reading through these forums it looks like the motherboard is not the culprit.

Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

You could try the LPM fix.

How to fix your SSD freezing issue (we hope!)

My X58 board has the same problem with the SF-2281 drives, I don't have SATAIII, and I also had no luck with any of Corsair's suggestions. I'm now trying to get a refund for my Force 3 120GB through Corsair, I recommend avoiding that if at all possible and trying to get a refund from the place of purchase if you decide to return the drive.

You could try the LPM fix.

I was looking into that, but it appeared to be more about the Intel 6G ports, which I don't have. Since my mobo has 6 Intel SATAII ports and 2 Marvel SATAIII ports, I'm not quite sure how to go about that operation. I guess I could just run the SSD on the Intel SATAII ports but damn, talk about taking a performance hit on a drive that should be blazing fast.

I'll post that question in the other thread and see if I get any answers, thanks.

I was looking into that, but it appeared to be more about the Intel 6G ports, which I don't have. Since my mobo has 6 Intel SATAII ports and 2 Marvel SATAIII ports, I'm not quite sure how to go about that operation. I guess I could just run the SSD on the Intel SATAII ports but damn, talk about taking a performance hit on a drive that should be blazing fast.

I'll post that question in the other thread and see if I get any answers, thanks.

It just disables LPM through the Intel driver, though it is more for freezing and system hangs than the drop out issue.

I recommend avoiding that if at all possible and trying to get a refund from the place of purchase if you decide to return the drive.

Unfortunately this was purchased under a "replacement only" policy, so not much I can do there. I've already RMA'd the existing drive in order to get a brand new replacement, which I'll probably just sell if it's such a hassle to get a refund from Corsair. Anyone looking for a 60 GB Force GT, shoot me a PM! ;):

This kind of problem is inexcusable in my eyes, so I will not be running this SSD in my system anymore. The speed was nice when it worked, but it's useless if the system crashes on a daily basis.

Unfortunately this was purchased under a "replacement only" policy, so not much I can do there. I've already RMA'd the existing drive in order to get a brand new replacement, which I'll probably just sell if it's such a hassle to get a refund from Corsair. Anyone looking for a 60 GB Force GT, shoot me a PM! ;):

This kind of problem is inexcusable in my eyes, so I will not be running this SSD in my system anymore. The speed was nice when it worked, but it's useless if the system crashes on a daily basis.

Biggest problem I have with Corsair is getting their support team to answer, after I finally did they offered me a refund or a P3-256 for my Force 3 120GB, the P3 was tempting, but given the problems I've had with Corsairs Customer Support over the past 2 months I went with the refund, they expect you to wait about a month to get it, 1 week for the drive to reach them and 2 to 3 for the refund to be processed and sent, though I talked them into sending it UPS, so instead of being a month I should get it a total of 3 weeks, which will be next week, provided they do send it Friday, hopefully UPS 3days, which will make it a total of 5 weeks to receive the refund, but everyone’s experience with customer service will always vary, mine just happened to be very poor.

Archived