Corsair Community

3200c2pt not compatible with 3200c2pt

Subpoenaes

Comp won't boot with both sets (old and recently purchased) of twinx XMS3200 memory in the banks. My ASUS P4C-800 Deluxe verbally told me that there was an error due to CPU Overclocking. Well, I had two sticks of (2x)CMX256A-[B]3200C2PT[/B], XMS3200 400mhz (twinx package) so I figured it would be a sure thing to buy two more sticks in the twinx package of TWINX512-[B]3200C2PT[/B] XMS3200 400mhz. Every number on the label is the same, except for the little v1.2 in the top right corner on my old RAM and v4.2 on the new stuff. Even the latency number matched perfectly. I tried the recommendations found in other posts, aka, since the latency on both pairs matched, I manually set my CMOS to those values, still, error: CPU overclock, no boot. BobXFett had a similar experience... see [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=112385&postcount=1]post 112385[/URL] Apparently, Corsair reserves the right to change the RAM to match newer capabilities. Fine, my only question is why in the world don't they change the version number or model number, or something so people don't buy it thinking its the exact same as the matched pair they already have? So BobXFett was offered to get an RMA so Corsair would replace the old RAM with RAM to match the new pair he bought. I would certainly like to follow that course. It would be a real bummer to spend $155 on RAM and end up with 512MB like you started, instead of 1024MB like you dreamed of when you dropped the $155.

By the way, the comp works perfectly with either: both of the new 3200c2pt v4.2 chips in the first and third bank or both of the old 3200c2pt v1.2 chips in the first and third bank, but not all four. Also, I do have a 800mhz FSB.. I saw something mentioned about only being able to use 2 of the banks with 800mhz FSB. Is that true, and if so, why did ASUS bother putting 4 banks in? Thanks, Subpoenaes

• Corsair Employee
First thing, we only guarantee one set of modules with any system! I would try and set the timings manually to Cass 3-3-3-8 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and see if the system is stable. If not you are welcome to try the RMA, but they will try and replace with the same revision you send in, so you may not get a match, but you are welcome to try it! Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Ok, I tried the recommendation about setting the latency, it didn't work. I just have a few questions so I can figure out what to do next. 1. Why are Corsair's policies different for different customers in the same situation? For eg. BobXFett had the identical version mismatch problem, and he was offered a replacement of the old ram to match the new. See [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=112385#poststop]thread[/URL] where RAMGUY said: "I would go ahead and submit the RMA for the older module and we will be happy to replace it so it matches the new one." 2. Is it ever possible for a customer to reliably purchase and use 4 sticks of Corsair memory (assuming the model numbers and other numbers on the outside packaging match), or is it only possible to use two at a time if they are sold in a TwinX package (see RAMGUY's post above about guarantee limitations)? In other words, should I bother buying 2 more sticks of the new ram or can I expect that not to work too? 3. Do you (RAMGUY) represent Corsair? I need to know because I'm going to write to PC World and PC Magazine so other people know that you can't buy ram piece by piece, but must buy it all together (throwing out your old ram in the process and loosing that investment), and I want to make sure I'm not misstating Corsair's position.

[quote name='Subpoenaes']Apparently, Corsair reserves the right to change the RAM to match newer capabilities. Fine, my only question is why in the world don't they change the version number or model number, or something so people don't buy it thinking its the exact same as the matched pair they already have?[/QUOTE] IIRC, they change the version # whenever the ICs used to make the memory is changed. [quote name='Subpoenaes']Ok, I tried the recommendation about setting the latency, it didn't work. I just have a few questions so I can figure out what to do next. 1. Why are Corsair's policies different for different customers in the same situation? For eg. BobXFett had the identical version mismatch problem, and he was offered a replacement of the old ram to match the new. See [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=112385#poststop]thread[/URL] where RAMGUY said: "I would go ahead and submit the RMA for the older module and we will be happy to replace it so it matches the new one."[/QUOTE] Read that thread again. BobXFett had a problem with two sticks total. You are having a compatibility problem with two PAIRS. Each pair runs fine on its own. IIRC, even if both pairs were the same part # and version, they are still not warrantied together at the tightest timings. [quote name='Subpoenaes']2. Is it ever possible for a customer to reliably purchase and use 4 sticks of Corsair memory (assuming the model numbers and other numbers on the outside packaging match), or is it only possible to use two at a time if they are sold in a TwinX package (see RAMGUY's post above about guarantee limitations)? In other words, should I bother buying 2 more sticks of the new ram or can I expect that not to work too?[/QUOTE] Yes, you can definitely get 4 sticks to work together, hence why Ram Guy recommended trying 3-3-3-8. I know that Specmike has said that he has both the P4C800 Deluxe and P4C800-E Deluxe both running 4 sticks. Read around the forums, there are other people doing this. Also, only TwinX packages are guaranteed to run at the single stick rated timings when paired together. This is different than just running 2 at a time. If the part number is the same, but they are not TwinX, they should still run together fine, they are just not pre-tested to run at the tightest timings and hence may have to be set to slower timings to work together fine. [quote name='Subpoenaes']3. Do you (RAMGUY) represent Corsair? I need to know because I'm going to write to PC World and PC Magazine so other people know that you can't buy ram piece by piece, but must buy it all together (throwing out your old ram in the process and loosing that investment), and I want to make sure I'm not misstating Corsair's position.[/QUOTE] Yes, Ram Guy is the official Corsair rep here. Feel free to write to whomever you want (freedom of speech and all), however you are wrong in your posted assumption that you can't buy ram piece by piece. You cannot assume something as a rule when you are basing this on ONE event. Completely goes against the the scientific method.

Archived