Corsair Community

Cannot eliminate memtest errors / BSOD's

krynn9000

Hey guys, this is my first post. Unfortunately I have been getting errors in memtest that I just cannot seem to get rid of. The errors come in the Block Move test #5, and the error bits are always the same, 0x04000000. Usually I get about 2-20 errors per pass. Also, as a result of this I get the occasional random BSOD in Windows.

Please see my system specs. Everything in BIOS is on auto, with no overclock. I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of these errors:

Move sticks around, try sticks individually

try different mobo, same model (fried my first one)

try different CPU

try different set of RAM sticks, same model #

try different BIOS versions

nothing has worked. Supposedly this RAM works for my mobo. Is there ANYTHING else I can do to make this system stable? The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the PSU, but I don't see how a faulty PSU could give such a specific set of errors.

Thanks for any help!

Test each module individually with memtest(links on the left) in the first slot . Make sure you load set-up defaults first and let each stick run for at least 3 passes or untill yo get an error. If both sticks produce errors that would suggest some other issue. A bad RAm slot or just a bad MB .

Also withthat CPU and MB there have been alot of RAM issues with the new AMD chips. Make sure you have the lates BIOS and if you may also want to contact Gigabyte. They seem to be having the most issues with these CPU's

Thank you for your reply. I have tried sticks individually with the same results. I always get Block Move errors, on each pass.

Could there be a BIOS issue with this MB/RAM combo? Remember I have already replaced the MB and CPU and still the problems are the same.

Could there be a BIOS issue with this MB/RAM combo? Remember I have already replaced the MB and CPU and still the problems are the same.

Absolutly! Since you are not overclocking the memory or anything else for that fact , then there should be no issues. Just read the reviews at newegg(although not all of them are legit) there are quite a few having the same issues.

Since your CPU supports 1866mhz memory out of the box you would actually be underclocking your memory with 1600mhz RAm. That should actually help you instead of hurt .

Corsair tests each stick of RAm on a MB before it leaves the factory. It is possible to get a bad stick once in awhile. It is almost impossible to get two out of the same kit. You have a better chance of hitting the lottery! :)

FWIW, you are not the first to have the same isssues with the GIGABYTE board. We have seen several! The other manufacturers do not seem to have this problem. At least that im aware of. And i'm here about 6 times a day!

I now this is a long shot, but do you have access to another system to tst them on , or another set of compatible modules?

Thanks again for very thorough reply. I actually have FOUR sticks of CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 and they all have exactly the same problem. So, I am virtually certain that there is nothing wrong with my memory, but something wrong with my setup. Unfortunately this RAM is on the "supported" list for my MB, so it seems odd that it wouldn't work 100%. Then again, this board existed before the FX series came out, and it was probably certified using only the Phenom II processor.

Also of interest is that the mobo detects and runs the memory at 1333MHz when everything is set to auto. I think this has to do with the Phenom II only supporting memory up to that speed.

So, I guess I am stuck hoping for a BIOS fix, or shell out some bucks for a different mobo. Does that sound right? Are there any other "underclocks" that I could try to see if I can get stability? Aggravating yes, but at least stable maybe. I checked Newegg and didn't see anyone with my particular issue. If you have anything else to add, it is appreciated :)

Krynn, i do apologize. You are correct about the MB. It was indeed another Gigabyte board. Even though they seem to be the ones having the mot issues with the new AM3+ CPU's and memory problems.

Also of interest is that the mobo detects and runs the memory at 1333MHz when everything is set to auto. I think this has to do with the Phenom II only supporting memory up to that speed.

Yes, and very well possible. Gigabyts own site says the MB and CPU should be able to run those at rated speeds.

Have you talked to them yet? I would be curious as to what their take is on this.

Are there any other "underclocks" that I could try to see if I can get stability?

I wouldn't go any lower than 1333mhz. It should be stable at that speed.

OPne other question...Have you tried running with just two sticks? At anything higher than 1333,mhz?

• Corsair Employee
I would check with the MB maker and see what they have to say, but if you are getting the errors you defined in a previous post on all of the modules when tested one up that would suggest the MB or CPU is the issue. Could also be a power problem but would expect you would get other errors related to that. How is your CPU Temp by the way?

Have you talked to them yet? I would be curious as to what their take is on this.

I just submitted a support ticket to Gigabyte. Hopefully they will have something to say that isn't obvious and/or I already tried it. Will let you guys know what I find out.

OPne other question...Have you tried running with just two sticks? At anything higher than 1333,mhz?

I have only used either 1 or 2 sticks when doing my testing. Even though I have 4x4GB sticks, I haven't yet tried to run ALL 16GB at once. I don't see the point if 8GB isn't yet stable :( Also, I have tried to bump the RAM up to 1600MHz, but the system won't POST. I must be missing a setting somewhere other than raw clock, and haven't explored the issue any further. Like you said, it should at a minimum run at 1333MHz. Actually I'd be happy as a clam if it was just stable at any speed...

Thanks again for the help peanutz! Will keep you posted. Let me know if you think of anything.

I would check with the MB maker and see what they have to say, but if you are getting the errors you defined in a previous post on all of the modules when tested one up that would suggest the MB or CPU is the issue. Could also be a power problem but would expect you would get other errors related to that. How is your CPU Temp by the way?

Agreed. See previous post; I'm asking Gigabyte. This is the second CPU and mobo so I HIGHLY doubt either unit is faulty, but may be an compatibility problem. CPU temp is good; using the stock cooler in a well ventilated case.

Could be, have we tried replacing the memory yet?, If not we can sure try that please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace them.

I appreciate that, however since I have FOUR identical sticks of ram misbehaving in exactly the same way, I am almost positive that my sticks are good. I have tested them individually. I'll wait and see what Gigabyte says.

Could also be a power problem but would expect you would get other errors related to that.

That's what I'm thinking, and why I haven't replaced the PSU yet. If it was the PSU I would expect less predictability with memtest. I also get BSOD when the computer is practically idle, so there's that too. Unless you've seen a PSU cause very specific failures...

• Corsair Employee

I have only seen that type of failure if a PSU is emitting to much noise or dirty power. It is rather rare to see that but it does happen.

I would wait to see what Gigabyte has to say before I went down that road of changing the PSU. However, if you can test the system with another PSU that may help to isolate that as a possible cause.

Well, I have heard back from Gigabyte. Basically they said that they don't have this problem! They probably think that the board or CPU is bad, and they did mention that the memory controller for the FX series is inside the CPU.

I was able to get some other memory to test in the system, made by a competitor. It has the same issues as the Corsair RAM, which virtually guarantees to me that the memory is not the problem.

Thus, I am back to thinking that it is somehow motherboard/firmware/CPU related. I will continue to take it up with Gigabyte and those familiar with my board and CPU. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to comment.

Thanks for your help guys. Wish this was working!

Thanks for all the help. What I find totally bizarre is that this is my SECOND CPU and motherboard pair. I wonder what the odds are of TWO bad CPU's causing this issue? I suppose it is possible that my mobo is particularly sensitive to the quality of the CPU, and even the slightest defect is causing errors.

Oh well. I will be contacting my system builder, and sending the whole tower back for detailed analysis. I will report back whatever they do to the machine!

I Would send it back to ever you bought from.That is the wrong MB for AMD8150.Not very good VRM power.Very bad Phase Units 4+1 for 8150 need 8+2.

Thanks, I was wondering myself. Thing is, Gigabyte (and some others from overclock.net) are claiming that this board is fine for the FX-8150. This CPU is oficially supported. Also, I tend to get BSOD's when the computer is doing NOTHING, which doesn't really scream "VRM issue" to me.

Also, memtest doesn't really stress the VRM's too much either, does it? But, it's still very possible that you are correct. This board was designed for the Phenom II, with 'future proofing' built in for the FX processors. Do you have any personal experience with this board?

Thanks

Not with this one. The one thing I noticed is that the Ram needs to be Voltage. increased.Also set your ram not by Auto.I have a G board AMD 3870 @3600 900MHZ VIDEO Ram 1.65 @1866.Set Your Bios By not Auto.I Do have a 970 with a 8120 @4500 Play TOY....

• 1 month later...

I finally fixed the issue! I got the unit back from the system builder, and it turns out it was the CPU all along. Since the memory controller is inside the Bulldozer CPU, (as most of you probably know) it can be the cause of memory faults. So the CPU got replaced.

So, now I have a perfectly functioning system, and 16GB of RAM from buying two sets!

Thanks to everyone for the help. :biggrin:

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for taking the time to post the update I have seen a fair number of users reporting the same type of issue with these newer CPU's but I am glad you got it figured out.

Archived