Corsair Community

Hydro X Custom Cooling Noise Leve

jubilee58x

I have never had a custom cooling setup before, ran the configurator and it recommended a XC9 water block with 2 360MM radiators and ML Pro Fans.

I currently have a H100i V2 AIO and 6 ML Pro Fans (2 replacing the stock fans in the H100i. Normally it's quiet enough except when I play some games like Elite Dangerous or War Thunder where I have to put the fans to extreme to keep around 40 Celcius. Would going to a water block and coolant system make things quieter?

• Corsair Employee

Based on the increased surface area of 2 360MM radiators vs the H100i radiator you will be able to run the fans at significantly lower speeds for the same cooling effect.

Just out of curiosity. Is the current target of 40°C the coolant temperature in your AIO? Any specific reason you aim at such temperature? You could let it to ~45°C and reduce fan speeds for lower noise.

40C is the preset "max fan speed point", but that is not an absolute critical value to the hardware. Nothing is different at 42 vs 40C, except the CPU will be +2C warmer. That 40C is based off a standard room temp of 20-23C and a +17-20C rise in coolant temp represents a large amount heat. However, lot of people are not going be in that range during Summer and room/case temp is a very dominant factor. You likely want to make your own curve and relax the points a few degrees. You can use the existing presets as a base by selecting them from the upper right corner of the graph (Performance Tab, +), Then offset each point by 4C or whatever is necessary to make it quiet at idle and reasonable at your normal load temps.