Corsair Community

Corsair HX850 Platinum Cable Compatibility

ccojocea

Hi, I'm trying to buy some better cables for my PSU (the ones supplied by default are too hard to bend) and I see all these Type 3 vs Type 4 discussions everywhere, I can't find what type my PSU is, and on top of that there's no Type specified on Corsair cables sold in my country, instead they mark them as Generation 2, 3, 4 etc.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

The HX850 Plat. uses a Type 4- 24pin Cable, It can use either Type 4 or 3 EPS12V 8pin, PCIe, SATA/PATA accessory Cables.

The Type 4 cables have inline capacitors to help with the reduction of voltage ripple, on the stock cables the inline caps are closer to the mother board / GPU end of the cable for best performance, on the Custom premium Cables the capacitors seem to moved back a bit for better cable management.

As for the different generations dont worry too much about as it really doesn't play into compatibility.

Ok but what do I do if all these resellers don't specify the Type and only specify the Generation? I even called up one and they had no idea about Type...

For example:

https://www.evomag.ro/componente-pc-periferice/corsair-cablu-pcie-atx-eps12v-premium-generatia-3-dual-conectors-negru-3583107.html?pleisty_t=W_19e9f3660481cd09f335a7eca5eecb35-PV_387445AF57-DXTL_RQ_5c5f0f2cba411-I_2a30519112b8f3441ba4387ecf2b6be8

Sorry about the language.

If the picture matches the product those are type 4 cables pictured, you can tell by the 24 pin cable, the 24 pin cable has 28 pins on the psu side, these are voltage sense pins for monitoring the voltage at the motherboard connection.

and if you look at the PCI cable on the right side you can see the heat shrink covering the inline caps.

Another thing you can look for is the corsair product number, on that page its to the right of the review stars - CODE: [CP-8920144] ID: 3583107

the CP-8920144 is the corsair product number if you look this up on corsairs website give you all the information you need, yes they are type 4 cable and will work with the HX850 Plat.

Archived