Corsair Community

iCue and MSI boards

elandau

Sincere apologies if this is a repeat. Lots of threads on the various blogs on this but I still do not have a clear picture.

I am considering an MSI Z390 MEG ACE motherboads which has a Corair header. All I want is to control the ARGB fans and liquid cooler, all of this I would like to get from Corsair...

1) Can the MSI Mystic lighting control the Corsair fans and CPU cooler?

2) Can iCue control them if I don't install Mystic lighting? Is it just the LEDs on the motherboard itself (which I don't care about) which can't be controlled but the fans and cooler can?

3) Would iCue work if the chassis did not have a dedicated button and I just wanted SW control?

4) I see a partnership with ASUS. Is there any other motherboard manufacturer you partner with which supports iCue?

Thanks for any pointers. This technology is evolving so fast and everyone seems to have their own standards.

Thanks

-Ed

Thank you for the reply. I now feel more comfortable buying the set.

What I meant by the chassis-button is: I often see chassis with a Power button and a "RGB" button which can be pressed to control the lighting (alternative to sw control). I wanted to see if I was limited to purchasing a chassis with such a button or if I could ignore that and just rely on software conrtol.

-Ed

• 6 months later...
Thank you for the reply. I now feel more comfortable buying the set.

What I meant by the chassis-button is: I often see chassis with a Power button and a "RGB" button which can be pressed to control the lighting (alternative to sw control). I wanted to see if I was limited to purchasing a chassis with such a button or if I could ignore that and just rely on software conrtol.

-Ed

The answer to your question is depending on the case manufacturer, if they built the rgb with mb addressable controls they usually come in 2 forms, 5V and 12V headers, most motherboards come with 12V rgb but most cases come with the 5V header, so if you want to control your case rgb make sure its the right voltage and its addressable rgb usually theyll advertise it with their product, I made the mistake of postponing my build so i am stuck with a 5V case and a 12V mb so now i can only control them with the buttons you speak off! I hope I am not too late.

The answer to your question is depending on the case manufacturer, if they built the rgb with mb addressable controls they usually come in 2 forms, 5V and 12V headers, most motherboards come with 12V rgb but most cases come with the 5V header, so if you want to control your case rgb make sure its the right voltage and its addressable rgb usually theyll advertise it with their product, I made the mistake of postponing my build so i am stuck with a 5V case and a 12V mb so now i can only control them with the buttons you speak off! I hope I am not too late.

Only partially accurate. Most current motherboards mid-tier and higher motherboards come with 5V addressable headers.

Any button on the case for controlling RGB will usually only control the case's built-in controller, which, as you mentioned, can also be controlled from a motherboard with an addressable header (the exception are Corsair's 570 series where the case RGB buttons go to the SP-RGB push button controller and control the fans). However, none of the cases will allow you to control motherboard lighting from the push-buttons.