Corsair Community

H80i GT with ML120 fans

edoardo conti

Hi, I've mounted a corsair ml120 ( CO-9050039-WW ) on my Corsair H80i GT, and another ml120 ( same code ) in the front of my case Corsair 100R Silent.

Both fans are connected to the motherboard with 4-pin cable.

The fans run at 1000rpm in idle, but they can run at 400rpm... which is the problem?

ps: Windows 10 64bit

Check your BIOS settings to make sure the fan header is set to PWM. Furthermore, not all motherboard headers are really PWM, even when they have 4 pins. You might need to google your board and hunt for an answer. The manufacturers usually aren't very forthcoming with that sort of information.

Hi, thank you.

In my motherboard there are:

1 x CPU fan header

1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)

3 x system fan headers

And:

CPU/CPU OPT/System fan speed control

* Whether the fan speed control function is supported will depend on the cooler you install.

So all headers can be change the rpm, right?

The water block of my AIO is connected to CPU_FAN. The fan of my h80i is connected to SYS_FAN2 anche the fan in front is connected to SYS_FAN3.

in the BIOS there are different choice for each fan, like silent, equilibrate, full speed or manual. What I have to choose?

ps: sorry for my English

I am still not clear whether your board really supports true PWM fan control on all headers. However, you may want to have a look at this review of GA-Z170 UD3 and specifically the excerpt below.

The major shortcoming of the UD3's firmware is the fan speed controls. They leave a lot to be desired... This board's firmware-based fan speed controls are limited to predefined profiles for silent, normal, and full fan speeds, or a manual option where a PWM duty cycle step can be assigned across the range of CPU temperatures.

This suggests the fan profile must be set to manual in order to enable proper PWM control. It also suggests that may only work from CPU temperature, which could lead to some very frequent case fan speed changes. My hunch, is the PWM/DC is set automatically from the board and whenever you select a fan profile of silent or normal, it puts the fan into DC mode. DC fans or a PWM fan run in DC mode will almost always have a higher minimum speed requirement, often set by the motherboard itself. My Asus board will not allow any DC fan to run at less than 60%. I think you are stuck in the same position.

On another note, is there a reason not to use the H80i radiator fan on the pump block's connectors? That would allow true PWM control and a likely a lower minimum speed. However, if you are not using Link, that might not be the best option either. Also, is it just 1 x ML120 on the H80i radaitor?

I am still not clear whether your board really supports true PWM fan control on all headers. However, you may want to have a look at this review of GA-Z170 UD3 and specifically the excerpt below.

The major shortcoming of the UD3's firmware is the fan speed controls. They leave a lot to be desired... This board's firmware-based fan speed controls are limited to predefined profiles for silent, normal, and full fan speeds, or a manual option where a PWM duty cycle step can be assigned across the range of CPU temperatures.

This suggests the fan profile must be set to manual in order to enable proper PWM control. It also suggests that may only work from CPU temperature, which could lead to some very frequent case fan speed changes. My hunch, is the PWM/DC is set automatically from the board and whenever you select a fan profile of silent or normal, it puts the fan into DC mode. DC fans or a PWM fan run in DC mode will almost always have a higher minimum speed requirement, often set by the motherboard itself. My Asus board will not allow any DC fan to run at less than 60%. I think you are stuck in the same position.

On another note, is there a reason not to use the H80i radiator fan on the pump block's connectors? That would allow true PWM control and a likely a lower minimum speed. However, if you are not using Link, that might not be the best option either. Also, is it just 1 x ML120 on the H80i radaitor?

Thank you. So I have to set manual profile to get the PWM control?

I connected the fans to the motherboard because I'm not sure to use corsair link.

Yes it is, there's only 1 x ml120 on the radiator. There is a problem?

Thank you. So I have to set manual profile to get the PWM control?

As far as I can tell, but I don't have the motherboard and my knowledge is limited to what I can find on the web. I specifically remembered another user having fan control problems with that board and when I went looking, I found I had already visited these specific sites before. I don't think there is a problem with the fans and I would pursue that angle further.

I connected the fans to the motherboard because I'm not sure to use corsair link.

Using Link would give another form of control and perhaps a better one than the board offers. You may want to wait and see if you can improve on what you are doing now, but it does offer a few advantages. It would allow you to control the fan speed from coolant temperature instead of CPU temperature. This should reduce the amount of fan speed changes and is a more efficient form of control. It would also give you LED control on the H80i.

You don't have to use Link to benefit from this. You can move the ML120 radiator fan to the pump block. Even without Link, it will run its default program from coolant temperatures. You won't have active control and it is doubtful you will see speeds of less than 900 rpm, but this is another option and would free up a motherboard header, if needed.

Yes it is, there's only 1 x ml120 on the radiator. There is a problem?

No, however a single 120mm fan may struggle to move air through the radiator when at these very low speeds you are looking for. Two fans in sequence are better able to move air through the restriction at low speeds. This DOES NOT mean your CPU temps will be horrible at idle or you are greater risk. Just keep this in mind when comparing idle or low level CPU temps to other users with similar CPUs and a H80i. If you don't have the space, there is nothing much you can do and remember to use a moderate speed for gaming or other loads. If you are short fan headers, remember the H80i can control two fans. That would be another option, with or without Link.

As far as I can tell, but I don't have the motherboard and my knowledge is limited to what I can find on the web. I specifically remembered another user having fan control problems with that board and when I went looking, I found I had already visited these specific sites before. I don't think there is a problem with the fans and I would pursue that angle further.

Using Link would give another form of control and perhaps a better one than the board offers. You may want to wait and see if you can improve on what you are doing now, but it does offer a few advantages. It would allow you to control the fan speed from coolant temperature instead of CPU temperature. This should reduce the amount of fan speed changes and is a more efficient form of control. It would also give you LED control on the H80i.

You don't have to use Link to benefit from this. You can move the ML120 radiator fan to the pump block. Even without Link, it will run its default program from coolant temperatures. You won't have active control and it is doubtful you will see speeds of less than 900 rpm, but this is another option and would free up a motherboard header, if needed.

No, however a single 120mm fan may struggle to move air through the radiator when at these very low speeds you are looking for. Two fans in sequence are better able to move air through the restriction at low speeds. This DOES NOT mean your CPU temps will be horrible at idle or you are greater risk. Just keep this in mind when comparing idle or low level CPU temps to other users with similar CPUs and a H80i. If you don't have the space, there is nothing much you can do and remember to use a moderate speed for gaming or other loads. If you are short fan headers, remember the H80i can control two fans. That would be another option, with or without Link.

ok, thank you but I have some questions:

- So the best choice is to connect the fans to the motherboard's fan headers, right?

- If I connect the radiator's fan ( or fans ) to the pump block I can't get fan control without C Link?

- 1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)

I found this on the my motherboard specifications. So I've to connect che pump to this connector?

After a fans's calibration by a software of my motherboard, these run at 700 rpm, is that the limit ( pwm control ) of my motherboard?

Sorry for the questions!

So the best choice is to connect the fans to the motherboard's fan headers, right?

Depends on what best means. It is easier. Doesn't require any extra software. However, the fan will likely spin up and down more frequently. This may or may not be perceptible during your use. From a strict performance perspective, control from the pump is better because it will only increase fan speed when the coolant temperature increases. This is a slow and infrequent change and makes the fans less noticeable. However, it does require setting up the software, a USB connector, and some patience as you learn your coolant temp range.

If I connect the radiator's fan ( or fans ) to the pump block I can't get fan control without C Link?

Correct. The pump will run its own program and keep the CPU as cool as possible, but you will not be able to tweak it for silence or monitor values. You need Link and a USB connection for this.

1 x water cooling fan header (CPU_OPT)

I found this on the my motherboard specifications. So I've to connect che pump to this connector?

No, it doesn't matter where the H80i motherboard connector goes. It can go on any of the headers, but it you put the radiator fans on the pump block, you will want it on CPU Fan. Something has to be on CPU fan to boot up. Board manufacturers use different labels for their headers, but the names are meaningless. What is more important is how the header can be configured? Is it PWM? How can I set the fan curve? These are all motherboard specific and I don't know the answer for your model. We need someone with experience on a Gigabyte Z170 to help with those types of questions.

Archived