Corsair Community

Help regarding noise coming from HX750i

ashaam

Dear people of the forum, I am a first time poster and newly-converted to the pc-gaming world. Glad I made the big move!

In regards to the issue I am here submitting to you, I haven't been able to find a solution via personal research on the net - so here it goes (link to the recording can be found at the bottom of my post): every time I boot up a game, depending on how demanding it is graphically, a high-pitched, cricket-like buzz/sound starts coming from the PSU area. It is constant, and aside from being rather annoying per se (I built my pc with the intention of it being as silent as possible, plus I work as a professional cellist and I am rather sensitive in the hearing department :D ) I am afraid it may be the sign of something being wrong, potentially leading to any amount of damage to the internal components.

The recording was made while running Shadow of Mordor with fully maxed settings, and as you can hear it almost completely stops at the ending when I close the application. The sound is also hearable when I open Chrome (or any big image from my library even, if only for a brief moment) or during intensive benchmarking with Valleybenchmark, as well as during play with any other 3D game. The more intensive the GPU work it seems, the louder and more constant the noise.

What is your take on it? is it normal? should I be worried or just disappointed that the proclaimed "silent" build isn't silent at all? what should I do to try and solve the issue?

Lastly, here are the specs of my build:

- CPU: i5 4690k

- CPU cooler:Corsair H100i GTX

- MO-BO: Gigabyte z97 gaming5

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 2133Mhz, 8GBx2

- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 ti

- PSU: Corsair HX750i

Thank you everyone in advance for your interest, and the help that may be provided!

RECORDING OF THE NOISE (it stops for a bit halfway through as I had to move to grab my mouse and had to bring the recording device with me): http://picosong.com/65Yc/

• Corsair Employee

Coil whine, whether it's from the PSU, graphics card, motherboard, etc. isn't a sign of things going bad. This is well documented on the web if you doubt me. But it can be annoying.

Electronic magentics are made up of windings that resonate at different frequencies as electricity passes through them. Sometimes these resonates can be audible.

thank you for your answer johnnyguru.

The thing that still bothers me is that when checking videos about coil whine, the sounds I hear are always and consistently different from mine, which bothers me - neither I have been able to find a recording of "something" inside a PC producing the same noise as mine.

I'd love to find any piece of evidence that this issue of mine is the exact same thing as, well, anything else.

• 10 months later...
thank you for your answer johnnyguru.

The thing that still bothers me is that when checking videos about coil whine, the sounds I hear are always and consistently different from mine, which bothers me - neither I have been able to find a recording of "something" inside a PC producing the same noise as mine.

I'd love to find any piece of evidence that this issue of mine is the exact same thing as, well, anything else.

Hey!

Thanks for your post, at least I know I am not alone going insane over this... xD

I have exact the same problem as you do [ame]

[/ame]

I build my PC for ultra silent performance (all Noctua 140mm fans at low rpm) and I went for HX 750i because of no-fan-mode at low power consumption.

I spent few hours troubleshooting this and going insane over every fan in my case including GPU, but all in all it turns out to be PSU sound!

Did you managed to solve this problem ?

Please help! :)

Archived