Corsair Community

Force GT SSD & OSX Mountain Lion = a lot of frustration

JFlindt

Hi,

I have recently bought a 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD disk that I wanted to install as the primary disk in my 15 inch late 2008 MacBook Pro unibody laptop.

(Instead of the 250GB stock HDD)

My problem is that the SSD is either faulty or extremely slow - here is what I have tried so far:

1. Clone the old HDD to the SSD using a SATA to USB adapter and Carbon Copy Cloner
  2. Clone the old HDD to the SSD using SATA to USB adapter and SuperDuper!
  3. Clone the old HDD to the SSD using SATA to USB adapter and Apples own Disk Utility
  4. Backup the old HDD to my external time machine disk and then restore after installing the (blank) SSD in the MBP (this has yet to succeed - nothing happens)
  5. Install the new (blank) SSD in the MBP and do a fresh install using a USB thumb drive and Lion DiskMaker 2.0.1 (this BTW took over 14 hours)

As far as my Google searches has led me - it IS possible to install a 240GB Force GT disk in this model of MBP but no matter which of the 5 solutions above, nothing works.

When I have installed OSX (fresh) or cloned the old HDD to the SSD and installed it in the MBP nothing happens when I boot the MBP.

The white/light-gray screen with the Apple logo appears and it stays there while the "loading icon" keeps moving.

Does anyone have an idea to how I get the SSD up and running?

Or should I file for an RMA due to the fact that the disk might be faulty?

Thank you all in advance for your input

Best regards

A rather annoyed systems developer

I use Apples own Disk Utility to format the SSD before using it.

But eventhough it is formatted and blank, Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, the OSX installation program and SuperDuper all format the disk a second time.

maybe this helps if you didnt see this already...

try backing up your mac first, dont clone.

Create a bootable install drive for OS X Mountain Lion, make one manually with a USB drive or use the LionDiskMaker tool to automate the process with a USB or DVD

With the boot installer drive connected to the Mac, reboot and hold down the Option key

Choose the “Mac OS X Installer” startup volume from the boot menu

Select “Disk Utility” and choose the hard drive you wish to format, click the “Erase” tab, and then pull down the “Format” menu and select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” as the type, name the drive if you wish

Click the “Erase” button and let the drive format – this is the point of no return

When finished, quit out of Disk Utility and now select the “Install Mac OS X” option from the menu

Choose your freshly formatted hard drive and install Mountain Lion

When the Mac reboots you will have a clean installation of Mac OS X 10.8 to work with.

At this point you can either import files and apps from the backup you made, manually copy over backed up files, or just start anew.

from http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/how-to-clean-install-os-x-mountain-lion/

Archived