Corsair Community

New PSU, smoking motherboard on first connection

tobz1000

I recently exchanged my faulty HX520 for a brand new HX650. After connecting the 24 pin and 8 pin sockets (the same configuration as my HX520 used), I switched on the power and was immediately met with a loud continuous beep from the motherboard and smoke from near the 8 pin connector!

After quickly removing the power, I checked the socket and plug, and neither appear damaged. It looks like the smoke was coming from a nearby capacitor, although again, there are no visible signs of damage. I tried the PSU again, connected only to a case fan, and it looks to be working fine.

What could have caused this? I presume the motherboard will need repair or replacement... but I think I'll wait for further advice before trying anything else/taking the whole thing apart.

What happened with the HX520?

Did it just die? Or did it exhibit other symptoms?

I'm just wondering it it did not damage something that caused you to replace it in the first place. OR it may be that the MB caused the powersupply failure.

Can you provide some more details as to what exactly happened?

The computer would power on for a split-second before turning off with the old PSU. It was taken to a repair shop for diagnosis, but I was away from the computer at the time (i.e. I didn't have access to it or take it in myself). I took their word for it that the problem was the power supply... and that's all I know. The HX520 was certainly capable of powering up (for a very short time) without the motherboard igniting, however.

• Corsair Employee

I am still not clear on what is going on exactly

So just to make sure we are on the same page?

You had a HX520 running in your system for some time? Right?

Then it failed and you replaced it with an HX650 but now it will not power on except for a second then goes right back off? Is that about right?

If yes to both questions then it is highly possible the problem is the MB and not the PSU, have you tried the paper Clip test on either of the PSU's

The 520 was the one which would power up for a split-second, but was running fine for some time before that. It has been replaced with the 650.

When I first connected the 650 (to motherboard only) the motherboard started smoking. I've done the paperclip test on the 650 and it powered up fine.

I'd like to know if there's anything to be gained from trying to power up anything again, before disconnecting and removing the mobo; or if that would just risk further damage.

from the PSU point of view - if it's functioning properly (although from what you are saying you can't be sure of that) - it will never damage any of your components simply from the fact that it will not output higher voltage that what's supposed to.

However, if your components are malfunctioning, they might end up in requiring more current (not yet a shortcircuit) and if the power supply can give it, then it will give it (not yet overload protection on PSU). This might heat up your malfunctioning component quite fast and thus leading to it being damaged completely (shortcircuit - at which point the PSU will shutdown)

So, while your PSU can't make the difference between legit current increase demand (more speed on fans, more GPU load and so on) and non-legit current increase demand (example above) - you can at some point manage to burn/destroy other components with your power supply (although you can't blame it for that).

Now, considering that your MB is also generating some local voltages and considering that usually the capacitors near the power connectors are used just for that, I would say that you have quite high chances that the internal power supply of your MB will fail completely (if it didn't do that already !) and thus you risk (in the worst case) in having 5V/12V as your CPU / RAM voltage (I would assume it would end up at least in some smoke if not sparks as well)

So no, don't power that MB again until it has been repaired. :D:

• Corsair Employee
Yes I would agree have the MB at least checked from what you have posted its hard to know for sure which is the cause and if you need to by all means use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace the PSU for you.

• 10 months later...

Hey there, im really interestend what happened to your MB, couse a minutes ago same happened to me. plugged in new power supplay HX 850. and smoke went out from same place as yours, but its was looking, that from a battery, beside power connector. And i found on my old PSU this writing; Do not connect this cable with the 4pin ATX 12V connector! Doing so can Damage tho mother board and cpu.

So disconected that 4-pin cable with goes with 20 pin MB cable, and its booted up, looks all working fine, but not sure for how longe. Please answer what happened to your MB

Archived