Corsair Community

Meltdown bug. How much is it gonna hurt?

Zjohnny

I’m not the most computer savvy guy. I just got my pro a few days ago and I was informed of this intel meltdown situation. I am getting misinformation from all over the place. How much does this affect me specifically? It just seems kinda unfair to get a new computer and be told it might lose 30% performance in the same week.

I want to learn more about computers, so I got a prebuilt one that is strong so it would be like having training wheels on a bike while lasting me for some time while I learn. I have enjoyed my pro otherwise. It’s so small and reasonably quiet. The chassis is sexy. I want this computer on the desk where people can see it instead of hiding it under the desk.

Interesting information. Not directly about the Corsair One, but concerning information of all Intel processors in general since 1995. I did not know of this. Thank you. We'll have to wait to see how this plays out. As of now it seems Intel has three class action lawsuits ongoing. I still love my C1 and its beast of a processor and so far so great.

Early reports were, we are finding out, quite overblown and any performance impact only impacts those applications that frequently switch between kernel mode and user mode ... none of the applications that average users run every day.

Take a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-meltdown-patch-storage-performance,36236.html.

Now, also keep in mind that unless you are getting this from a serious, in-depth technical source, they likely aren't qualified to talk about it. Much of the press doesn't know a CPU from a GPU or RAM from a hard drive (it's all "memory", right?), much less the subtleties associated with Ring 0 vs Ring 3. They are, on the other hand, quite good at running around like Chicken Little.

Also keep in mind that this was shown in the lab. While it is certainly exploitable and we should keep our systems patched, there are currently no reports of this being exploited in the wild.

• Corsair Employee

Seconded. Practical testing from TechSpot also demonstrated virtually no performance degradation in synthetic or real world applications from the recent Meltdown patch.

Early reports were, we are finding out, quite overblown and any performance impact only impacts those applications that frequently switch between kernel mode and user mode ... none of the applications that average users run every day.

Take a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-meltdown-patch-storage-performance,36236.html.

Now, also keep in mind that unless you are getting this from a serious, in-depth technical source, they likely aren't qualified to talk about it. Much of the press doesn't know a CPU from a GPU or RAM from a hard drive (it's all "memory", right?), much less the subtleties associated with Ring 0 vs Ring 3. They are, on the other hand, quite good at running around like Chicken Little.

Also keep in mind that this was shown in the lab. While it is certainly exploitable and we should keep our systems patched, there are currently no reports of this being exploited in the wild.

Archived