Corsair Community

1 fan drops to 0 RPM

Drynix

Hey guys,

I have been having some issues with corsair link as of recent. 1 of the fans keeps showing up as 0 RPM randomly, but I have no clue which fan it is inside my pc exactly.

I have attached an image with the fan in question marked blue.

Whenever it drops to 0 RPM, I can see the temperature in my H80i increase and that causes the fan there to increase speeds. After 1-5 seconds or so (sometimes longer) the fan kicks back in action and the temperatures drop again. I can hear an audible increase in fan noise coming from my pc as a result of this.

I have 0 control over this fan through corsair link, so I can't increase its speed or set a minimum speed to it. Weirdly enough, my case has 1 big fan on the front and 2 arround the H80i. So I have no clue how corsair link keeps showing my case as having 4 in total.

Note that I have little understanding on what to attach where inside a pc, this rig is also rather old (approaching 4 years or so) but I do try to maintain it proper.

241419359_Corsairlink.thumb.JPG.fa9d881dc579e5f81fccb05308604ea0.JPG

That particular one is his pump....... which is displayed at half its actual speed normally???, which looks to be a little low.....

OP.. head into bios and make sure the fan header the pump is connected to is set to max.. its normally the CPU header.,,

edit..

one mo.. which h80i is it?? h80i or h80i GT? I assume its not a V2 as link reports the H100i v2 as a v2 ;)

Do you actually see the fan physically stop spinning?

Furthermore, keep in mind that Link is showing a reading only; it doesn't control that fan or anything else connected to the motherboard.

I don't exactly know which fan it is in my case, since I have no clue wich fan 1 and fan 2 are. I don't see anything stopping in my case, but I do hear the fans arround the h80i radiator block rev up a bit. Link also shows fluid temps rising untill the Fan 1 starts showing RPM again. At that point fluid temps go down and the radiator fans start slowing down aswell.

I have the same H80i as the one shown in the product image on this page

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Ok that model is Sata powered so pump should be getting its full 12v

but it still needs 100% power from the fan header its plugged into for its fans, so you need to set that fan header to 100% all the time.....

But i still feel you pump speed is a little low?? maybe someone else can confirm?

Ok that model is Sata powered so pump should be getting its full 12v

but it still needs 100% power from the fan header its plugged into for its fans, so you need to set that fan header to 100% all the time.....

But i still feel you pump speed is a little low?? maybe someone else can confirm?

Does this mean I gotta put that slider with Min Fan Speed up to 100% on CPU 1? Referring to the MSI snapshot image I uploaded a few comments back. Or do I need to check something else to do this?

In fact... from having had a search about.. 2200rpm is its lowest setting?. (can anyone confirm this as accurate?)

I better make things clear....

In your first post. the screenshot of link. the highlighted fan.. that is windows reporting the pump at half is speed.. this is normal...

also in the same screen shot. the Pump speed is reported at 1773 Rpm..

If i am correct.. that'ts way too low.. it should be 2200rpm....

lastly,,, if you are seeing that highlighted fan drop to zero... and i am correct in my assumptions.. that is your pump dropping to zero!....

lastly,,, if you are seeing that highlighted fan drop to zero... and i am correct in my assumptions.. that is your pump dropping to zero!....

Maybe ... but we shouldn't be seeing 2 fan pump speeds from that cooler, should we?

I think the higher speed is the actual one. Does that one drop to zero? Let's focus, too, on the speeds reported by Link related to the pump as those are coming from the pump itself. I'd only look at that motherboard reading if you happen to see the same thing using another monitoring tool for the motherboard readings.

The one I marked in the first image is the only one that drops to 0 rpm, no other speed in the link drops down.

The fact that it shows 2 pumps is a bug in link from what I gathered from other posts using the h80i. At first it shows one, then that one freezes at a certain number and it starts showing a second pump. I have seen RPM on my pump fluctuate from 1100-1800 RPM over a day while playing games. Seen it just hit 2000 sometimes, but not over.

In the case of it being the pump failing, is there anyway I can prove this btw? Since the cooler is about 3 and a half years old it should be within the 5 years warranty offered by corsair. But I think I would need to show it actually being defective for me to make a warranty claim.

You would need to describe the issue in detail, especially the symptoms, and any troubleshooting steps.

I didn't have to show a video or anything like that when I made a warranty claim for my H100iV2. Just described in detail, the symptoms I was seeing, what I did to try to resolve it and attached the invoice/receipt.

Booted my pc again, launched link isntantly and took a screenshot from it. This is how it shows now.

Just 1 pump now, at a decent RPM. However as I am typing this I see the Fan #1 on the MB tab down to 900 rpm and the pump in the cooler tab down to 894 rpm

819583918_corsairlink2.thumb.PNG.2805393128186cf67fba240b87106164.PNG

I am stuck dude.. Flummoxed/Confuddled and certainly very interested now lol

Where is c-attack when You need him LOL.. need some of that All Seeing Eye action on this.. somethings not right and I can't put my finger on it....

We could try chanting his name?..

I am stuck dude.. Flummoxed/Confuddled and certainly very interested now lol

Where is c-attack when You need him LOL.. need some of that All Seeing Eye action on this.. somethings not right and I can't put my finger on it....

We could try chanting his name?..

I am an extremly curious type aswell, and as interesting as I find all this, whenever I suddenly hear my fans rev up like crazy I do have a little heart attack. Mostly due to an old pc in which the GPU overheated to the point of my screen going black and all fans starting to blow at full capacity. Ever since I have been on edge, especially with this new pc, which was the first one I bought with my own cash :P

Hearing your case speed up is just a scary sound for me :P

Edit:

small update, went for dinner and turned my pc off for the duration. So it was off for roughly 30 minutes. Booted it up and both Fan #1 on the MB and the pump on the cooler tab show roughly 1100 rpm atm.

So I heard my fans rev up again. Had corsair link open still and snapped 3 screenshots fast. Fan #1 is at 0 RPM, and the screenshot are in series within a minute of eachother.

Note that I wasn't really doing much at the time, I even instantly closed firefox. Look at the thermals just rising rapidly.

I didn't copy the 3rd image proper to my usb so that one isn't attached, but the water temp was reaching 50 degrees already at this point! So I quickly turned of my pc and swapped to my laptop.

988775772_Corsairlink0rpm.PNG.57a2feaf92d5e61f34487e538e2eb89d.PNG

1596405069_Corsairlink0rpm2.thumb.PNG.270339348cdf48cdf478d83dba198212.PNG

OK. I'm not focused on that motherboard fan temp.

I'm looking at the pump speed and the pump temperature.

And that ain't right. My guess is that there is some kind of blockage that is working its way in and stopping the pump ... it gets dislodged and then makes its way back eventually. It may be something else to ... but regardless, it's not good. There is something not right with the pump.

That, my friend, is probably a case to start an RMA.

Then I have to look into how to RMA this, since I bought it at a company that builds pcs, but they offered a 3 year warranty on my pc. So my entire rig is out of warranty with them, but the cooler is withing the 5 year warranty offerend by corsair.

Should I just contact corsair directly with this?

Archived