Corsair Community

Is it possible to connect the included Lightning core node to the commander pro?

Nic_7

The Core acts as a standalone lighting controller. Unlike the RGB Hubs, it does not need a Commander or Node Pro to hook into. It connects back to the system via USB 2 and that can go directly to the MB or into either pass-through USB port on the Commander. No further action needed on your end, besides moving the fan power/speed control wires for each from from the MB headers to the Commander's headers. RGB wires stay right where they are.

Thanks for your answer! I know that I basically donˋt need a commander pro for just for the rgb fans. I want to use 6 fans but my Mb does have just 4 Fan connectors. Besides that I want to add Corsair rgb strips and my h100i to it. The problem ist, that my Motherboard only has 2 USB connectors but without the commander pro I would have 3 connectors to connect. I just want to know if I can connect the included rgb controller to the commander pro or if I need to buy a separate one.

Both the Core and the H100i Pro/Platinum/XT can use the two USB 2 pass through slots on the Commander.

For the strips, you do need a lighting controller. The Core is for fans only. That means Lighting Node Core or Commander. Since having desktop control over the fans is rather handy, that seems like a clear reason to get the Commander.

You could solve the current header issues with normal PWM splitters for the fans and the H100i will have its own fan controller for its two 120s. However, the Commander is useful and only slightly more than picking up a LNP + Strip kit. However, watch out for pricing right now. I am seeing a lot of extreme 3rd party mark ups with things in short supply.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your answer! I know that I basically donˋt need a commander pro for just for the rgb fans. I want to use 6 fans but my Mb does have just 4 Fan connectors. Besides that I want to add Corsair rgb strips and my h100i to it. The problem ist, that my Motherboard only has 2 USB connectors but without the commander pro I would have 3 connectors to connect. I just want to know if I can connect the included rgb controller to the commander pro or if I need to buy a separate one.

The Co Pro is perfect for controlling he fan speed/power as well as using it as a USB port hub for when you only have so many headers on your board. You could always use fan splitters for fan control from the MB and get an internal USB hub for added USB headers as well. I personally went with the Co Pro for fan control and to connect the USB needed for my node pro and my AIO. Then use the LED channels for my 2 RGB Fan Hubs and the node pro for my LED strips and future LED connection for when I want to go custom loop.

So it all depends on what you want. I use the Co Pro, RGB Hubs and AIO to control my 7 RGB fans. 5 are controlled speed wise on the Co Pro and the other 2 on the AIO. I have three different fan types, ML, LL, and HD, so 2 RGB hubs and the AIO for RGB control. Node Pro for 4 LED strips. And all of it ties in nicely in iCue and I have several profiles for different things that control lighting, fan curves and AIO speeds.

Hei! Sorry to intrude but I would have a question too, if OP doesn't mind.

I was using a Corsair Platinum SE AIO and another extra 6x120mm LL fans connected to an RGB hub and to a Co Pro. I recently bought 3x140mm QL fans for bottom intake and rear exhaust because the LL's look ugly when flipped.

I feel like I am stacking to many little boxes in my case. I now have the AIO connected to the Co Pro to one of it's USB headers. Also 3x120mm LL fans are connected to an RGB hub and to the Co Pro. The 3x140mm QL's are connected to their node core. All the six fans are powered with the Co Pro.

My question is: can I get rid of the RGB fan hub and connect the LL's to the node core too? Because I am having problems with the hardware lightning for example, they don't sync when iCue is not on. From the looks of it, I would say it's not possibl because in iCue, on the Node Core, you can only select an option on the Lightning setup - Lightning channel. I wouldn't be able to tell me there are 3 LL's and 3 QL's connected to it right? And I have to keep both the Node core for the QL's and the RGB fan hub for the LL's?

You need separate lighting hubs for the QL and LL. For some combinations (like LL and ML), you can get away with the math. The ML are only 4 LEDs and when you tell iCUE """ x 4" it will program out 16 LED in groups of 4. However, the QL are a different species and with 35 LEDs nothing is going to match well mathematically and all of those QL only lighting effects are going to work out right. Aside from static colors, mixing LL and QL will really limit you.

If you are running without iCUE most of the time, you will want to go with basic patterns. Something like color wave or certain solid colors might work OK. As for synchronized effects, you can't do that without the software running. Each device is running from its own memory.

• Confused 1