Corsair Community

Playing with Corsair iCue strips and LL fans.

Defyant

Just playing around with iCue and and some dual channel strips...

**** First off i have to say that corsair has done a fantastic job to get this software working alot better *******

I was very critical in the early beta days.

I wanted to run 2 sections of Dual light RGB Lighting Pro strips to go along with 4 LL fans.... 2 x 120's and 2 x 140's.

The fans will run off channel 1 from the Node Pro unit and the strips off channel 2.

This way the fans and strips can be setup via Icue and link to run different themes.

I also wanted the 2 x 2 sets of strips to mirror the same patterns.

I could add a second node unit but wanted to keep this clean.

I ended up making a small crude "Y" splitter... this way from channel 2 i can split the signal along 2 sets of sLED strips.

I wasnt sure if this would work at first... but it does :)

I just thought this could be handy for anyone wanting to also go down this path.

IMG_20181029_202030-S.jpg

This connects to the output from ch2

IMG_20181029_202102-M.jpg

Then to the strips.

IMG_20181029_202146-M.jpg

The end effect is 2 strips showing the same lighting sequence.

IMG_20181029_181800-M.jpg

This could be useful for those wanting to run 2 sets of strips off one MB header.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Very nice!

Just a couple of comments

1) Make sure that you put no more than 6 (so 3 on each side) on a single channel. More than that has the possibility of overloading the current and blowing out the NoPro. And that would be Bad.

2) Check out the link in my signature if you want to get connectors that fit perfectly. It has the part numbers for the exact Molex connectors that are used and will prevent you from accidentally reversing the cables, which would blow out your strips. And that, too, would be Bad.

The exact max? Not sure. But when configured in iCue, the max output will be about 2A. You have a total of 4.5A that's available to the NoPro (that's from the SATA connection). Adding a 3rd strip in each "split" run should be fine as that'll give you a total of 6 strips on the channel - which is the max that iCue supports and will get you around 2A max current when they are at full white.

BTW ... if you want to do some really crazy stuff, you could potentially use an RGB Fan Hub to power up to 12 strips on its own. This would require a bit of custom cabling but should work.

Don't you have the same power limit as the hub also connects to a lighting channel?

Don't you have the same power limit as the hub also connects to a lighting channel?

You have a total of 4.5A for a fan hub. This will power 12 strips or the NoPro wouldn't be able to power 12 strips. But you couldn't put any fans on it, just the strips. And it'd require some highly custom cables. And some splicing. And some other things that I doubt Corsair would support and a sane person wouldn't do.

But I might ...

I actually have a Fan Hub laying around as well as six stripes. If I find some time I'll give it a try^^

The only thing I realised some time ago is that you can connect more LEDs (from stripes) to the NoPro when you set the channel to LL Fan. Cause those have 16 LEDs each while a stripe has only 10.

Thinking of that your Fan-Hub-Theory actually makes totally sense. But if I get it right only the first 16 LEDs on each Stripe will work this way. Meaning that you would "waste" 4 LEDs (when connecting 2 stripes to each Fan Hub port (total 20 LEDs)). So maybe some cheap chinese 15LEDs-WS2812B would be the best for that...

I actually have a Fan Hub laying around as well as six stripes. If I find some time I'll give it a try^^

The only thing I realised some time ago is that you can connect more LEDs (from stripes) to the NoPro when you set the channel to LL Fan. Cause those have 16 LEDs each while a stripe has only 10.

Thinking of that your Fan-Hub-Theory actually makes totally sense. But if I get it right only the first 16 LEDs on each Stripe will work this way. Meaning that you would "waste" 4 LEDs (when connecting 2 stripes to each Fan Hub port (total 20 LEDs)). So maybe some cheap chinese 15LEDs-WS2812B would be the best for that...

First, don't do that on just a NoPro - configuring 2 channels as LL fans but with strips may well overload it, resulting in melting or (if you are lucky) a dead NoPro. When a dead NoPro is the "good scenario" ... that's not good.

Second ... if you do the cables correctly, you'll have 2 identical and synchronized 6 strip chains. If you split the Data Out (Pin 3) and loop it back to the Data In (Pin 2, on the same fan hub port), you'll have the same Data Out signal on both ports. The 3-pin strips don't have the return signal that the 4-pin fans have so that's one way to hack it.

First, don't do that on just a NoPro - configuring 2 channels as LL fans but with strips may well overload it, resulting in melting or (if you are lucky) a dead NoPro. When a dead NoPro is the "good scenario" ... that's not good.

Second ... if you do the cables correctly, you'll have 2 identical and synchronized 6 strip chains. If you split the Data Out (Pin 3) and loop it back to the Data In (Pin 2, on the same fan hub port), you'll have the same Data Out signal on both ports. The 3-pin strips don't have the return signal that the 4-pin fans have so that's one way to hack it.

Oh okay that would not be "good". Do you think/know if the CoPro has more voltage than the NoPro?

Me, personally? No. But I've seen it happen here. Usually the lights just go out or dim. But you can blow the internal fuses. The Fan Hub doesn't have any fuses, IIRC, but it does have a capacitor. And the connectors are only designed for 4.5A ... and we've seen folks melt connectors by overloading them.

Each channel is fused on the 5v. If you exceed the rating, it will blow, also reversing the polarity will blow the fuse as well. Ask me how I know :) Glad to see more people doing mods.

As long as Corsair doesn't offer something to run stripes outside the case we are kind of forced to to mods... Too bad Corsair doesn't offer pure nodes to buy without fans/stripes...

As long as Corsair doesn't offer something to run stripes outside the case we are kind of forced to to mods... Too bad Corsair doesn't offer pure nodes to buy without fans/stripes...

Have you seen Zotty's setup?

And ... umm ... well ... there's some pretty amazing things that you can do with a 10'-15' Strip extension cable.

Have you seen Zotty's setup?

And ... umm ... well ... there's some pretty amazing things that you can do with a 10'-15' Strip extension cable.

I know, I know... I put some iCUE-controlled strips behind my monitors and desk too. Awesome effect but some modding is defenitely required.

BTW ... if you want to do some really crazy stuff, you could potentially use an RGB Fan Hub to power up to 12 strips on its own. This would require a bit of custom cabling but should work.

Cheers DB tyvm for all the help and advice mate :)

If i'd like to run more i could just use the signal wire and provide external power?

These strips are the 5v WS2812B 5050's? not the 12's?

Cheers for the comments guys the case is still a WIP :)

Cheers DB tyvm for all the help and advice mate :)

If i'd like to run more i could just use the signal wire and provide external power?

You could, yes. The trick would be configuring them. In iCue, you'd configure them as specific devices based on the number of LEDs and the most you can get is 96 (6 LL Fans @ 16 LEDs each).

These strips are the 5v WS2812B 5050's? not the 12's?

Yup, definitely 5V. The NoPro uses 0A on both the 12V and the 3.3V rail. Source: Me & My Multimeter

Cheers for the comments guys the case is still a WIP :)

We're gonna get pics, right? Video, even, perhaps?

You could, yes. The trick would be configuring them. In iCue, you'd configure them as specific devices based on the number of LEDs and the most you can get is 96 (6 LL Fans @ 16 LEDs each).

Yup, definitely 5V. The NoPro uses 0A on both the 12V and the 5V rail. Source: Me & My Multimeter

We're gonna get pics, right? Video, even, perhaps?

Cheers again DB appreciate your help :)

still playing with different types of lighting in the case but will keep this thread updated for sure :D:

• 2 weeks later...

Still changing things up on this mod... really im just having a lotta fun playing around with iCue , strips and fans :)

The corsair rgb gear has really opened a whole new world for case modders like me :)

This is the first time ive had the strips and fans running together proper...

Running 2 x node pro's to allow extra channels for better combo's

IMG_20181118_201729-L.jpg

IMG_20181118_155837-L.jpg

IMG_20181118_201621-L.jpg

Some WIP vids

This vid shows off the 4 internal strips lighting the 3 main internal features

[ame=

]
[/ame]

The front with the strips and fans ... its amazing some of the colours you can come up with using the corsair gear.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

This one gave me a migraine ..... but we do it because we can :D

Thanks corsair :D

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Still a long way to go with the case mod. but i'll keep sharing as i come up with new ideas

Cheers D.

Archived