Corsair Community

iCUE ARGB and Third Party DRAM Lighting Support

Corsair James

• Corsair Employee

Hi everyone,

I am noticing a number of posts asking about ARGB support on ASUS motherboards. The current implementation is strictly to support the lighting on a compatible ASUS motherboard only, and by extension, the RGB header since it is treated as a single zone. The design and intent was always to include the motherboard into our ecosystem with other Corsair products so we can address the demand of everything in the system lighting simultaneously in the same color. I am happy to see the overall positive feedback from this feature, and we are continuing our work to see how we can extend this feature to other products.

However, there will be certain limitations to what we will do. First, we have no plans to support ARGB headers. While many third party products are compatible with ARGB, we first and foremost are in the interest of only allowing iCUE to control Corsair products. ARGB also brings another layer of complexity to iCUE as we would have to take into consideration how to display the sheer number of LED configurations possible into our UI, and this is something we have no plans to accomodate at this time.

Second, I see some of you are asking about support for non-Corsair DRAM. This is also something we have no plans to do. We are always open to new partnerships though and if these businesses would like to approach us about implementing their products into iCUE, we would definitely explore possibilities. But unless they do so of their own initiative, we don't plan on having an open ecosystem. As this is a partnership with ASUS, users who want to maintain their lighting with Aura Sync compatible products should continue to use Aura Sync or Armoury Crate. iCUE is not meant to be a replacement software for them and we want to respect their ecosystem just like they respect ours.

I hope this addresses some of the concerns and questions I am seeing in this forum.

Thanks,

James

• Sad 1

1st!

That said, what future plans are there for the asus plugin? GPU control? My current GPU asus software is called "AURA RGB Lighting Control for Graphic card & XG-STATION" for a maximus XI formula, and hasn't been updated in AGES. The GPU itself is an Asus GTX 1080A

As to the header, are there ARGB strips compatible with the RGB header you're talking about, on my MB. Available in the EU? As to the ARGB header, maybe release a corsaird branded ARGB strip, which can then be controlled through icue (perhaps requiring a usb connection of some sort to have iCue recognise it's a corsair ARGB strip.

• 2 weeks later...

The main issue is not that you don't allow ARGB is that the plugin takes over Aura completely so you can't use the addressable header(s) at all. All other software can't control the addressable RGB headers as long as the iCue plugin is used.

This is why so many people are crying for Corsair to add addressable support.

Thus you are ruining Asus's own support of their addressable header(s).

Corsair in my opinion needs to do what is right for the PC community, you are only dividing yourself when you are trying to unify.

• 4 weeks later...

James, thanks for addressing this matter.. ;) Also, really happy with the decision to add motherboard support to iCUE.

I understand Corsair's position on this, not wanting to undermine their proprietary RGB platform. However, I did want to share some feedback that I feel Corsair is actually being a bit short-sighted here.

Fact is, people get addressable RGB connections on their motherboards and will use them one way or another. RGB technology is still quite fragmented and there is a real desire for a single lighting eco-system which will "just work". By having no ARGB support in iCUE I think you are passing up on that opportunity which I expect a competitor or open-source solution will eventually take.

My suggestion would be to offer at least "basic" support of mobo ARGB headers. For example, choose number of LEDs and treat a whole ARGB header as single zone (like your non-addressable RGB header implementation). That way people can setup all their lighting no-fuss using your software, knowing that Corsair products offer the best iCUE experience™ when making future purchasing decisions.

Anyway, just my thoughts..

• 1 month later...

Hey James,

I have to agree with bgrater7,

for example, I have a CPU cooler from alphacool, which only deliver a ARGB connection.

So I have two opportunities.

1. let the CPU cooler dark

2. connect it to the ARGB Header of my ASUS Motherboard and live with the fact, that it will never be synchronized with the rest of my stuff.

I'm super happy, how far the ICUE software goes.

But I'm very disappointed, that i can sync all my stuff, expect of the CPU cooler.

So my wish would be the same as bgrater's.

As i don't need to have every single LED controlled, it would be enough just to use the ARBG as one lightning area. Just as the "normal" RGB Headers.

• 1 month later...
James, thanks for addressing this matter.. ;) Also, really happy with the decision to add motherboard support to iCUE.

I understand Corsair's position on this, not wanting to undermine their proprietary RGB platform. However, I did want to share some feedback that I feel Corsair is actually being a bit short-sighted here.

Fact is, people get addressable RGB connections on their motherboards and will use them one way or another. RGB technology is still quite fragmented and there is a real desire for a single lighting eco-system which will "just work". By having no ARGB support in iCUE I think you are passing up on that opportunity which I expect a competitor or open-source solution will eventually take.

My suggestion would be to offer at least "basic" support of mobo ARGB headers. For example, choose number of LEDs and treat a whole ARGB header as single zone (like your non-addressable RGB header implementation). That way people can setup all their lighting no-fuss using your software, knowing that Corsair products offer the best iCUE experience™ when making future purchasing decisions.

Anyway, just my thoughts..

Just updated the iCue and Aura software to finally have full integration, but couldn't figure out how to get my G.Skill memory to show up in iCue. Hence coming to the forum to see what I was doing wrong, and finding out that Corsair is purposely inhibiting open integration.

Like the two posts above mention, it is understandable that the initial thought from the sales department would be to not have icue support hardware that competes with Corsair. That said, it's disappointing that this is the decision the company is sticking with rather than being the good guys which also comes with the benefit of gaining huge market share with iCue and having the ability to advertise and collect statistics through it.

I'm generally very satisfied with corsair products, but choosing to go with a proprietary ecosystem rather than providing the best product/software possible for the customer is a huge turn off.

• 1 month later...
If you not gonna support argb why even bother supporting my board at all just **** off and let me control my corsair vengeance rgb pro already under armoury crate as well as my k65, your software uses way more cpu then armoury crate just **** off already, this is ridicilous........ im not buying corsair products anymore if i cant sync up my rgb from corsair with the rest

Cool, so, it's useless then? I thought I'd finally be able to sync my AIO cooler with the rest of my stuff. I don't feel like buying into a ridiculously expensive and (frankly) mediocre ecosystem just so I can sync one thing.

You'd have helped way more people if you had set up iCue devices to sync with Aura, but then nobody would have any reason to buy crappy fans and meh lightstrips, huh?

• 4 weeks later...

Okie dokie. Did you guys forget that you don't make motherboards?

I could understand this decision 100% if Corsair motherboards existed, because it would make sense that you'd just have to buy a Corsair motherboard if you wanted to run everything off motherboard headers.

...But you don't make motherboards, so the only option for this is an ASUS motherboard.

Your own website states:

"CORSAIR iCUE software can now control your motherboard’s RGB lighting and sync it with the rest of your iCUE-compatible devices and components, beginning with ASUS Aura Ready motherboards."

To me, that means that you can now just do everything Aura Sync did in iCue instead. It makes sense if the statement "your motherboard's RGB lighting" means all lighting, or even if it just meant your motherboard's built in lighting but not the headers. But that's not the case.

You are stating that iCue supports the motherboard's built in adressable lighting, the 12v non-addressable lighting headers, but not 5v addressable headers. So it doesn't support Aura Sync motherboards, because you've just left out a bit on purpose. Your excuse is technical limitation and that the 12v non-addressable headers and the motherboard's addressable headers are in the same "zone".

This excuse is not the case and you know it. Anyone can pick up an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, look up a tutorial, and get it to run adressable RGB lighting, using not qualifications, experience, special equipment or special tools. They can do it on their desk in half and hour.

"Technical limitation" (for a team of qualified and experience individuals) that prevents running a 5v motherboard ARGB header in your software that already support addressable motherboard lighting and addressable RAM lighting that runs through DRAM pinouts? I don't think so.

All your statement is doing is confirming that if you want to run anything off your motherboard, just forget about Corsair's products within the iCue ecosystem and instead go with whatever product that your motherboard's ecosystem supports. This, even purely as a business decision, does not make any sense at all. You're making a decision that does nothing but go against what you are trying to achieve.

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...

I find this post troubling, ARGB or as its also known as "Addressable RGB" should be supported as its part of the X570 Asus motherboard. ARGB headers are built in to the board, its like you've done half the work and called it a day, just laziness. I'd prefer my motherboard didn't show up at all in your software, if you aren't going to fully support it. its like some s!ck joke you and asus have come up with. you shouldn't be allowed to say you support RGB on asus boards if you don't! I've been waiting months wondering why there hasn't been a update to fix this yet, I've checked every time cue has had an update. it really is a s!ck joke to me... you should make it clear in the software that ARGB wont work if you don't intend to support it. its only in till coming to this forum have i found out the truth!

+1 corsair support argb on asus boards and stop being lazy

• 3 weeks later...
Okie dokie. Did you guys forget that you don't make motherboards?

I could understand this decision 100% if Corsair motherboards existed, because it would make sense that you'd just have to buy a Corsair motherboard if you wanted to run everything off motherboard headers.

...But you don't make motherboards, so the only option for this is an ASUS motherboard.

Your own website states:

"CORSAIR iCUE software can now control your motherboard’s RGB lighting and sync it with the rest of your iCUE-compatible devices and components, beginning with ASUS Aura Ready motherboards."

To me, that means that you can now just do everything Aura Sync did in iCue instead. It makes sense if the statement "your motherboard's RGB lighting" means all lighting, or even if it just meant your motherboard's built in lighting but not the headers. But that's not the case.

You are stating that iCue supports the motherboard's built in adressable lighting, the 12v non-addressable lighting headers, but not 5v addressable headers. So it doesn't support Aura Sync motherboards, because you've just left out a bit on purpose. Your excuse is technical limitation and that the 12v non-addressable headers and the motherboard's addressable headers are in the same "zone".

This excuse is not the case and you know it. Anyone can pick up an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, look up a tutorial, and get it to run adressable RGB lighting, using not qualifications, experience, special equipment or special tools. They can do it on their desk in half and hour.

"Technical limitation" (for a team of qualified and experience individuals) that prevents running a 5v motherboard ARGB header in your software that already support addressable motherboard lighting and addressable RAM lighting that runs through DRAM pinouts? I don't think so.

All your statement is doing is confirming that if you want to run anything off your motherboard, just forget about Corsair's products within the iCue ecosystem and instead go with whatever product that your motherboard's ecosystem supports. This, even purely as a business decision, does not make any sense at all. You're making a decision that does nothing but go against what you are trying to achieve.

agree 100%

since we're talking of ASUS RGB, i believe Corsair doesn't "make a decision" at all. They only support what ASUS allows them to support.

If they hack into supporting ARGB without their consent, they'll get sued up the ***.

Technically they could support it, but i doubt Asus or any other brand with an extended RGB ecosystem would be suicidal enough to allow it to happen. But hey, we never know.

The rest is marketing wording, and well.. corsair or not, it's always at best misleading.

• 2 weeks later...
are you seriously trying to tell me that ASUS and corsair don't talk ? this whole icue supporting ASUS on board rgb wouldn't be a thing at ALL if ASUS and corsair didn't talk, they both have advertisement with inter connectivity between icue and ASUS boards, they are very aware of each other right down to a marketing level, which is as deep as you can go with in a company, please don't defend this behaviour @LeDoyen

I don't defend. I just imagine that Asus wouldn't want to completely open its ecosystem to Corsair.

We do'nt know what happens behind the scenes, maybe Asus asked to have some access to Corsair RGB and they didn't get it so, they said, OK, but no ARGB ? who knows?

Corsair don't have to expose their marketing transactions with partners so all we get is the first message of this topic. Besides that, your guess is as good as mine.

Asus RGB headers control the same LED protocol so i imagine it would be very easy to support for the iCUE team. If they don't, there must be a very good reason. Very likely, Asus only allowing them to control t he onboard LEDs and not the headers (the 12V one isn't really used anymore so they threw it in the bag for good measure maybe).

I quote James

However, there will be certain limitations to what we will do. First, we have no plans to support ARGB headers. While many third party products are compatible with ARGB, we first and foremost are in the interest of only allowing iCUE to control Corsair products. ARGB also brings another layer of complexity to iCUE as we would have to take into consideration how to display the sheer number of LED configurations possible into our UI, and this is something we have no plans to accomodate at this time.

just so you know james, you miss spelled accommodate!

basically we can't be asked with implementing full support so here's half of it, this isn't asus blocking anything, this is corsair icue department being l@zy and not wanting to complete the full job of support for the asus boards. from my point of view this is very bad as it shows the company "corsair" as saying they will support something, marketing it, then going back on there word. can i trust anything this company says in the future ?

*Make no mistake i think corsair is a great company, they have helped me with warranty many times over, in my eyes this is me giving back to a company i love very much! if you say your going to support something! do the job! till it's done! or give us customers a better reason as to why it can't be... if asus is blocking support, come out and say it! officially...

Edited by SignedAdam

That may be why they don't say it hehe

The official word is one thing, the underlying reasons are another. Could be anything. Asus blocking it, lack of development resources to basically add open ARGB to iCUE..

Also, adding individual LED control to iCUE would allow users to easily control third party devices.. fans, coolers, strips.. then why buy Corsair ones?

It would be great, but the bean counters either at Asus, or Corsair (or both) may not like it.

But it's a big guessing game really

It would make Asus close down any partnership like right away.

Corsair doesn't run business based on how a few forum users feel, neither Asus does ^^'

Otherwise iCUE and Armoury Crate would be actually good programs :D: (at least Corsair is working on it... Asus, not so sure)

I was going to go gigabyte on my motherboard but because I saw the Corsair and asus partnership on icue I went asus motherboard

The asus motherboard is slower at booting, has a usb hub not load correctly in device manger - because asus

To top it off my main purchasing reason “rgb” all rgb, it didn’t say except argb in the advertising I saw. is now meaningless..

worst purchase ever, should of stayed with the gigabyte board and got the faster boots with error free USB ports..

It would make Asus close down any partnership like right away.

Corsair doesn't run business based on how a few forum users feel, neither Asus does ^^'

Otherwise iCUE and Armoury Crate would be actually good programs :D: (at least Corsair is working on it... Asus, not so sure)

• 3 weeks later...