Corsair Community

H100i v2 fan all the time at max speed

KDKprod

I have a H100i v2 cooling system, and it has been working perfectly with Corsair Link 4 Software. Also, I own a K65 lux RGB keyboard working with Corsair Utility Engine 2 Software.

The problem comes when I updated Corsair Utility 2 to ICUE 3.6.109. When starting the program, the H100i v2 fans speed up to 2700 rpm and the temperature starts rising, it doesnt matter wich profile I click or If I'm using a curve. Even If I close ICUE, without using any other program nor app, the fans keep spining at 2700 rpm until I shut down the computer. If I start the computer without running ICUE, the cooling system works perfectly speeding up the fans when needed, but obviously, I can't use the keyboard features such as lights.

I tried re-installing the program, deleting all profiles but it hasn't worked.

And now, if im running my pc without ICUE, and I restart the system, the H100i v2 fans do the same, 2700 rpm before BIOS screen.

I dont know If it has anything to do with this but, inside ICUE, in the settings tab, shows this message: "H100i v2 has not been configured", even though It shows the temperature and the rpm of the pump and the fans.

I dont know what I can do, I hope you all can help me solving this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Can you show is a screen shot of the configuration screen?

Also, to apply a fan curve, you need to select the curve (on the left) and then click on the fans to actually apply. The same is true for the pump speed (but that's limited to Quiet or Extreme).

i know how to apply curves, the problem is that it doesn't matter what speed I apply, the fan is back to 2700 rpm after 5 seconds, and the temperature keeps rising. I don't know what i can do.

Thank you for the answer. ;):

The temperature keeps rising? What is the H100i v2 Temp (coolant temperature) in Link/iCUE?

I am going to assume this just started and you did not make any hardware or configuration changes before this.

The temperature in H100i v2 is 39.0 ºC in ICUE, I run the program and with 2700 rpm, the temperature rising 40.0 - 40.5 - 41-0 º... ten or fifteen minutes later is over 45.0 ºC, and H100i V2 led turn on because hight temperature.

And yes, i don't change nothing, my H100i v2 was buyed last month. I just update CUE2 to ICUE. Then this issue, I delete all of ICUE and re-install it, but doesn't work. :sigh!:

If the cooler was malfunctioning with very high coolant temperature, it might shift to maximum to protect itself. However 39-41C should not override any custom fan curves or fixed speeds. It might override the default Quiet fan setting. What kind of fan curve are you using?

It's fairly difficult to keep piling on heat with the fans at maximum, at least from CPU heat. What were you doing at the time? If you heat the case up with the GPU, you might see this. Not related specifically to fan control, but it would be good to figure out if there is something wrong with the cooler. What kind of room and case temperature do you have? When sitting at idle on the desktop, what is the coolant temperature? Does it stay level or slowly creep up?

If the cooler was malfunctioning with very high coolant temperature, it might shift to maximum to protect itself. However 39-41C should not override any custom fan curves or fixed speeds. It might override the default Quiet fan setting. What kind of fan curve are you using?

It's fairly difficult to keep piling on heat with the fans at maximum, at least from CPU heat. What were you doing at the time? If you heat the case up with the GPU, you might see this. Not related specifically to fan control, but it would be good to figure out if there is something wrong with the cooler. What kind of room and case temperature do you have? When sitting at idle on the desktop, what is the coolant temperature? Does it stay level or slowly creep up?

Right now everything has the default setting on Quiet, with default curves too.

At that moment I was doing nothing, I started the computer and as soon as I open ICUE the fans starts speeding up making a lot of noise, not doing it progressively, from 1500 rpm to 2700 rpm inmediatly. Nevertheless, If I dont start ICUE, the computer works properly even If I play high performance games for hours.

I think it doenst matter what is the inicial temperature because If I start the computer with the default setting of starting ICUE when the computer starts, it starts as acelerated as before.

Thank you for your help, I'm looking forward to your answer.

My gut instinct is you switched the control variable from H100i v2 Temp to CPU package temp. Completely different ranges and not how the cooler works anyway. A screen shot of the cooler tab in iCUE would help here.

You can also demonstrate control by creating a ne custom curve (cooling mode) using the +. Within those settings are fixed rpm and fixed %. See if the cooler responds.

My gut instinct is you switched the control variable from H100i v2 Temp to CPU package temp. Completely different ranges and not how the cooler works anyway. A screen shot of the cooler tab in iCUE would help here.

You can also demonstrate control by creating a ne custom curve (cooling mode) using the +. Within those settings are fixed rpm and fixed %. See if the cooler responds.

This is all it shows me, the screenshot was taked 10 seconds after starting the program, i don't know if this image helps you.

Screen1.thumb.png.92be4a6065fead3525f648a373eccd7a.png

Your coolant temperature is 40.5C. That's what's doing it.

First, I'd set your pump to "Extreme". (On that cooler, it typically doesn't make a difference but let's give it a shot anyway)

Second, how quickly does the temperature rise? What's your ambient/room temperature? And can you give us some details on cooling/airflow situation in your case? Do you see the same temperature rise if the case is open?

We are back to presets kicking into maximum because you have reached 40C coolant temp. This will be true for all the presets. 40C is not some universal fail point. It is a considered value to predict where people might start getting into trouble with CPU temps. The coolant temp is the lowest possible CPU temp and the typical overclocked CPU might have a +50C differential, taking you to 90C at full load.

There may be legitimate or uncontrollable reasons your coolant is at 40C without load, but this is what we need to focus on. For now, you can get around the max speed by creating a custom curve as suggested originally. Those will not jump to 100% when you hit 40.

Next, we need to figure out why you are at 40C when sitting on the desktop. These are the questions about your room temp, case temp, basic airflow configuration. If your room temp is 33C, then we know why it's 40C in the case. If it's not, then we need to figure out what's going on.

Your coolant temperature is 40.5C. That's what's doing it.

First, I'd set your pump to "Extreme". (On that cooler, it typically doesn't make a difference but let's give it a shot anyway)

Second, how quickly does the temperature rise? What's your ambient/room temperature? And can you give us some details on cooling/airflow situation in your case? Do you see the same temperature rise if the case is open?

Okay, i will try to set the pump to EXTREME to see if this helps. The usual H100i v2 temperature is 39.0C, and with the program rise 5 degrees in 10 minutes, just in Desktop. My room is hot, but without ICUE all works perfctly.

I have set the H100i v2 on the top of the case, and 2 other fans, one of them on the lowest part of the front and the other on the top on the back.

We are back to presets kicking into maximum because you have reached 40C coolant temp. This will be true for all the presets. 40C is not some universal fail point. It is a considered value to predict where people might start getting into trouble with CPU temps. The coolant temp is the lowest possible CPU temp and the typical overclocked CPU might have a +50C differential, taking you to 90C at full load.

There may be legitimate or uncontrollable reasons your coolant is at 40C without load, but this is what we need to focus on. For now, you can get around the max speed by creating a custom curve as suggested originally. Those will not jump to 100% when you hit 40.

Next, we need to figure out why you are at 40C when sitting on the desktop. These are the questions about your room temp, case temp, basic airflow configuration. If your room temp is 33C, then we know why it's 40C in the case. If it's not, then we need to figure out what's going on.

My room temperature is pretty hot, 39C could be the currently temperature in the cooler. Without ICUE, the fans work perfectly no matter what is the ambient temp, accelerating and decelerating according to the game im playing. But with ICUE, the fans speed up even if the ambient temperature is cold, just to start the program.

I'm not pretty sure of what kind of curve I must apply, could you post an image of the curve I should apply to solve the problem?

The fans should not accelerate or decelerate with game action. That's what an air cooler does when tied to CPU temp. With iCUE not running, the cooler will default to its original internal fan curve or what you saved to the device. This will always be based on coolant temperature so no matter the settings, it should not dynamically change from minute to minute.

The general idea when creating your fan curve is to make the fans quiet at your idle coolant temperature and run moderately at your normal peak, leaving the max blast for when temperature are outside the norm. Most people will see a max coolant increase of around +5-7C on the H100i v2 for CPU only loads. The trick is with gaming and additional GPU heat. That may take you to +10-12C. While you can't reduce the coolant temp below the case ambient, you may still want higher fan speeds in the game load condition to help with case temps. Additionally, if you are getting close to 50C coolant, you will also be pretty close the to CPU core/package limits as well on most CPUs.

So if 39C is your typical baseline coolant temperature at idle, set that to a comfortable fan speed. Start to ramp it up to moderate levels from +3-6C and then put a high speed flourish around 50C to let you know unequivocally things are getting hot without the need to stare at the software.

I am still concerned about this 39C idle coolant value. It's 26.9C in this room right now. Coolant temp is 28.6C. Computer has been up and at idle for the last 2 hours. +2C over ambient is on the lower side, but most people are in the +4-6C range even in tight cases. I would not expect to see 39C unless your room is 35C. If it's not, we need to find out why. I don't like this continual warming with the fans maxed out. That should not happen unless you are running a stress test. You need to be very meticulous with the data collection. A +7C delta might be "slightly warm", whereas +9-10C I would consider in trouble. The margins are that fine in detecting and you to be very precise since we can't see what you see.

The fans should not accelerate or decelerate with game action. That's what an air cooler does when tied to CPU temp. With iCUE not running, the cooler will default to its original internal fan curve or what you saved to the device. This will always be based on coolant temperature so no matter the settings, it should not dynamically change from minute to minute.

The general idea when creating your fan curve is to make the fans quiet at your idle coolant temperature and run moderately at your normal peak, leaving the max blast for when temperature are outside the norm. Most people will see a max coolant increase of around +5-7C on the H100i v2 for CPU only loads. The trick is with gaming and additional GPU heat. That may take you to +10-12C. While you can't reduce the coolant temp below the case ambient, you may still want higher fan speeds in the game load condition to help with case temps. Additionally, if you are getting close to 50C coolant, you will also be pretty close the to CPU core/package limits as well on most CPUs.

So if 39C is your typical baseline coolant temperature at idle, set that to a comfortable fan speed. Start to ramp it up to moderate levels from +3-6C and then put a high speed flourish around 50C to let you know unequivocally things are getting hot without the need to stare at the software.

I am still concerned about this 39C idle coolant value. It's 26.9C in this room right now. Coolant temp is 28.6C. Computer has been up and at idle for the last 2 hours. +2C over ambient is on the lower side, but most people are in the +4-6C range even in tight cases. I would not expect to see 39C unless your room is 35C. If it's not, we need to find out why. I don't like this continual warming with the fans maxed out. That should not happen unless you are running a stress test. You need to be very meticulous with the data collection. A +7C delta might be "slightly warm", whereas +9-10C I would consider in trouble. The margins are that fine in detecting and you to be very precise since we can't see what you see.

Thank you so much for your answer.

I have tried applying the curve following your indications, resulting in the image I attached. The screenshot was taken just after starting the computer and running ICUE, and as you can see the cooler is at 33ºC.

Is that curve correct? When applying it, the computer works perfectly and it doesnt accelerate as heavily as before. On the desktop and playing non high-performance games, it works properly. But, in high-performance games the temperature keeps rising. Having the 100% rpm to 49ºC, I can stabilize the temp to 43ºC, being that the highest it rise. Nevertheles, I feel that the fans are overaccelerated and makes an unpleasant noise.

I do that because on ICUE appears a section where it sais that when 45ºC are reached the leds lights of the H100iv2 turn red. In my case, would it be normal exceed 45ºC on the cooler temp without being harmful? If that is it, I would adjust the curve to make it less agressive, so when I play those games it could reach more than 45ºC without the fans being that noisy.

Im looking forward to your answer, you are being very helpful.

Screen2.thumb.png.e033b046b8fe333ce9358ba97168dcdd.png

Nothing wrong with the curve design. If you feel it is too loud at 40-43C, reduce the speed. The stock fans are very loud. Also keep in mind small differences in fan speed should make little difference in your end cooling. Running the fans at 1600 rpm should be more or less the same as 1400 rpm. Maybe 0.5C difference. On the other hand, the noise might be quite different. Most fans have specific speeds where they are unpleasant. No reason to use that part of the band.

Another approach to use (especially for gaming) is to set a fixed RPM in your custom curve. Pick something that is tolerable. No more changing speeds, just continual exhaust. This may help get more GPU heat out sooner, preventing the case from heating up. That is hard to undo in the short term, but the higher initial speed may keep your from those levels. I preferred doing this when running a H80i like cooler in the rear exhaust where it was a constant victim of GPU waste heat.

There is no specific fail point for the cooler. It's certainly not 40-45C. The rubber is rated for more than 100C+ and obviously we won't be melting plastic or metal. The only real vulnerable part might be the sealant/glue exposed to long term high coolant levels (55-70C+). However, all of this is mostly a moot point. On any recent processor, you are probably going to reach your CPU temp limits with a coolant temp of 50C -- or at least get uncomfortably close.

Knocking your room temp down by 10C would certainly make everything else look great. Of course, that's likely not possible in the near future or ever in some climates. What I am still interested in your current room and temp and relative case temperature. You can make an approximation of case temp through the motherboard sensor and often drive temps (like a photo of your iCUE dashboard/panel). 33C idle coolant temp would be OK if your room temp is in the upper 20s. However, I am still worried about the initial post when you described continually climbing coolant temp with the fans maxed. 43C coolant temp without contributing environmental factors is high.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing wrong with the curve design. If you feel it is too loud at 40-43C, reduce the speed. The stock fans are very loud. Also keep in mind small differences in fan speed should make little difference in your end cooling. Running the fans at 1600 rpm should be more or less the same as 1400 rpm. Maybe 0.5C difference. On the other hand, the noise might be quite different. Most fans have specific speeds where they are unpleasant. No reason to use that part of the band.

Another approach to use (especially for gaming) is to set a fixed RPM in your custom curve. Pick something that is tolerable. No more changing speeds, just continual exhaust. This may help get more GPU heat out sooner, preventing the case from heating up. That is hard to undo in the short term, but the higher initial speed may keep your from those levels. I preferred doing this when running a H80i like cooler in the rear exhaust where it was a constant victim of GPU waste heat.

There is no specific fail point for the cooler. It's certainly not 40-45C. The rubber is rated for more than 100C+ and obviously we won't be melting plastic or metal. The only real vulnerable part might be the sealant/glue exposed to long term high coolant levels (55-70C+). However, all of this is mostly a moot point. On any recent processor, you are probably going to reach your CPU temp limits with a coolant temp of 50C -- or at least get uncomfortably close.

Knocking your room temp down by 10C would certainly make everything else look great. Of course, that's likely not possible in the near future or ever in some climates. What I am still interested in your current room and temp and relative case temperature. You can make an approximation of case temp through the motherboard sensor and often drive temps (like a photo of your iCUE dashboard/panel). 33C idle coolant temp would be OK if your room temp is in the upper 20s. However, I am still worried about the initial post when you described continually climbing coolant temp with the fans maxed. 43C coolant temp without contributing environmental factors is high.

Sorry for the late answer.

Thank you very much for your answer, I think that it is solved for now. According to your reply, I set the 100% rpm to the 50C, achieving that the fans run more deccelerated and less noisy.

About the room temp issue, I live in Spain, and all of these problems have been happening this summer, but now, that the autumn is coming, the temperature is decreasing, so my room is not that excessively hot anymore and due to that I think the problem is solved.

Nevertheless, I have been thinking about buying a Corsair 570X case, and six LL120 fans, replacing the stock noisy fans that my H100i v2 has. I think that this will finally end all the problems.

Thank you very much for your help and your quick answers.

Unfortunately the weather is something of a unsolvable problem. Anyone is a warm Summer climate is going to see big differences between Winter and Summer. I have to do the same as well with a Winter and Summer fan curve. My peaks temps in Winter are lower than the room baseline temp in Summer. Nothing I can do about that, but running the fans faster won't help either. It can only reduce temps back to near the starting point - at most.

I don't like the SP120L fans that come with your cooler and any fan change will likely be a pleasing tune.

Unfortunately the weather is something of a unsolvable problem. Anyone is a warm Summer climate is going to see big differences between Winter and Summer. I have to do the same as well with a Winter and Summer fan curve. My peaks temps in Winter are lower than the room baseline temp in Summer. Nothing I can do about that, but running the fans faster won't help either. It can only reduce temps back to near the starting point - at most.

I don't like the SP120L fans that come with your cooler and any fan change will likely be a pleasing tune.

Down here in Texas we have a solution for warm summer temperatures. We call it air conditioning. And, tbh, our summer temperatures can't really be described as "warm" ... hellish is usually a bit more appropriate.

Of course, we also have warm winter temperatures too. And warm spring and autumn temperatures, too.

Archived