Corsair Community

Corsair H100 won't fit on Rampage IV Extreme LGA2011

Vissa

Dear Corsair,

I got a problem with installing the H100 on my Rampage 4 Extreme.

I used the LGA2011 screws in the standard socket backplate. The H100 ,,feet'' doesn't allign with the 4 backplate screws.

I made a photo that hopefully shows what my problem is:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m4pv2t.jpg

On the photo, I alligned the 2 left screws into the H100, the 2 on the right are just to far away / misplaced for the H100 bracket/feet. It won't fall into the 4 screws.

I tried turning the cooler, problem remains the same. Also I used the Intel backplate but the screws are in the same place as with the standard backplate/LGA2011 screws. It just won't fit.

Maybe more people having trouble with this? Hopefully somebody can help me! Really want to run this platform!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having the same issue with a H100, but on a very different platform, a socket 775 board! The four mounting brackets "arms" (legs, feet...) won't align on all the standoffs as you showed in your picture. I can get two on, maybe three, but the fourth, no chance.

What is also strange is if I remove the mounting brackets (two pieces) from the pump body, they fit on the standoffs fine, but put them back on the pump, and it won't fit.

I thinking that this is not a incompatibility with socket 2011, etc, but a production problem of some kind. I had to use a dremel tool on one of the brackets to get it to fit, but that is ridiculous. This is really an odd one, it seems the pump body is causing misalignment of the brackets?

Thanks for posting this, although sorry about your problem, I thought I was going crazy. I have two H60's, and the pump body and brackets are the same on the H60, H80, and H100. My H60's fit fine on socket 1366 and 1155 CPUs, but they are a few months old, I just bought the H100.

My H100's lot number is 11359483, could you post yours just to compare? Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
We have looked into this a little closer, we tried different MB based on LGA2011 and I have to say that a lot of them will not align perfectly. You will need to apply a small amount of force on to the 4th hole to catch the stand off. Other than this small issue, the coldplate will still make a full contact on the CPU.

I'm having the same issue with a H100, but on a very different platform, a socket 775 board! The four mounting brackets "arms" (legs, feet...) won't align on all the standoffs as you showed in your picture. I can get two on, maybe three, but the fourth, no chance.

What is also strange is if I remove the mounting brackets (two pieces) from the pump body, they fit on the standoffs fine, but put them back on the pump, and it won't fit.

I thinking that this is not a incompatibility with socket 2011, etc, but a production problem of some kind. I had to use a dremel tool on one of the brackets to get it to fit, but that is ridiculous. This is really an odd one, it seems the pump body is causing misalignment of the brackets?

Thanks for posting this, although sorry about your problem, I thought I was going crazy. I have two H60's, and the pump body and brackets are the same on the H60, H80, and H100. My H60's fit fine on socket 1366 and 1155 CPUs, but they are a few months old, I just bought the H100.

My H100's lot number is 11359483, could you post yours just to compare? Thanks.

Thanks Toasted but that won't help either of us in this case. I tried my H100 on a spare 1366 board, and it won't work.

Holy hell, send this to wikipedia quick, parsec doesn't know everything after all.

I ran into the same problem trying to fit my H100 onto the Asus RE4. I'm stubborn and tried to rotate it to see if it would fit...and it did. :D:

http://i.imgur.com/brrtK.jpg

Here's an image from my phone. It is pretty terrible quality, but I think it's enough to show that I've managed to fit the cooler.

velglarn, I'm glad the pump fit on your board. But my question is, did you have any problem with the pump's mounting brackets fitting on the four mother board standoff screws? That is really the issue the OP has, and what I have too, please check the original post to see what I mean.

All 2011 sockets should have the same geometry and position of the four threaded mounts for the standoffs. The OP and I felt that there is some problem with our H100 pump brackets that caused the mounting problem, that you obviously do not have. I would appreciate it if you could comment on this, thanks.

I did have trouble mounting it at first. I measured the distances between the holes of the mounting brackets and noticed it's not symmetrical as you said.

After I rotated the cooler to try and place the bracket into the screws, I noticed one orientation was closer compared to the others and applied some force to pop the last bracket hole into the screw. I hope this helps.

Had the same problem on my Asus p9x79 lga 2011. I found it I turned it a quarter turn to the right that it fit like it was meant to be that way. Straight on I was fearful that I was going crack something or slip and gouge. I figured it just couldn't fit that way. Saw a couple posts here, turned it and bingo I'm in business. Corsair needs to make a mention of this I figure.

Thanks for the help on this thread!

velglarn, thanks for the information. It turns out that the mounting points for the CPU cooler on the 2011 socket is a perfect square, 80mm center to center on all sides. Intel's website is not cooperating at the moment, as I wanted to check other sockets. The other familiar sockets (1155, 1366, 775) are either slightly rectangular, or smaller squares. I imagine some are rectangular, as the brackets on the H100 seem to be designed that way. The differences are small, yet enough to cause mounting issues, as you know.

RAM GUY, that is a good idea, why didn't I think of that!

It will take some additional finesse to tighten the standoff once the pump is in place, but I can see how it can be done with a small, open end wrench. Loosening more than one could work in extreme situations.

But I must tell you that the H100 I purchased was so out of alignment on a socket 775 board, I was surprised. Yes, I tried turning the pump +/- 90 degrees, with no change. I have H60's on socket 1366 and 1155 boards, and the pump just slipped into place like nothing, I had to hold it with my finger while tightening the thumbscrews, since it moved around so easily, the screw and bracket slot alignment was so perfect. I just can't get that H100 to mount, and I'm not removing my H60's to experiment on those boards, they work perfectly, and I can't bring myself to disassemble them.

I tried looseing the screws.. sure, but how do I know now that it will be tight on the processor? I have it it won't be tight on the processor and it won't cool... this is kind of crazy that we need to have such a hard time putting this one. This need to be fixed to work as it should... I am afraid I am going to break the motherboard trying to screw the screws on once the cooler is on. I am not sure why a recall has not been done to get this fixed. I was sure counting on having my computers up and running and did not expect this lack of R&D on this new chip. I hope a resolutions comes about quickbly

divineliving, It is strange that these coolers seem to fit on some socket 2011 boards, and not on others. Socket 2011 is a unique situation compared to all other Intel sockets, where the CPU cooler mounting points are part of the socket itself, rather than mounting holes in the mother board. I would think that the socket mounting points would tend to be more accurate than holes drilled in mother boards, since the sockets in general must be made with a high degree of precision, given their function. On the other hand, socket manufactures have never had to include these mounting points in their products in the past. The number of socket manufactures is small, two or three AFAIK. Intel does not manufacture them, Foxconn has been making sockets for years.

Have you tried turning the pump 90 degrees, so the tubes from the pump are at the top or bottom of the board, rather than the right side? I agree if a product is said to be compatible with another, and it isn't, that is a big issue. Socket 2011 is a new platform, and it will be a while before compatibility issues are sorted out.

Would remounting the socket kit on the cooler it self be helpful? Or loosening it and test fitting, then re-tightening it afterwards?

It seems a little odd that rotating fixes it since the socket *SHOULD* be symmetrical (80x80mm).

Anyone want to measure the standoffs when they're installed to see if they're square? Same with the socket kit on the cooler?

T' Chicken, when you said, "... remounting the socket kit on the cooler...", are you referring to the two bracket parts that connect to the pump? If so, that could help in some cases, but the screws that hold the bracket parts are short, and threaded into the plastic case of the pump, so aren't meant to withstand much stress.

Which brings up a good point, forcing the bracket slots into place on the standoff screws may put stress on those screws and the pump outer body, in a direction which really should not happen. Well, this might be a nit pick...

Verifying the standoff spacing on the socket is worth doing, it would be quite a mistake if it was wrong. Measuring the same thing on the pump brackets is not as simple, since the brackets have slots, not holes, that are oriented at an angle. I have a H100 in a box, let me see...

The slots in the brackets of my H100 do have a gap of 80mm measured from the approximate center of the slot, very near the end of the slot, between all four bracket arms. It's close but I'm not being liberal in giving it a passing grade.

But that measurement does not guarantee that each corner of a perfect square will fit in all the bracket slots, if you know what I mean. Ok, this is more than enough of that... :flamethro I can't blame you.

struggling with this issue.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/Sporting_photos/IMG_0919.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/Sporting_photos/IMG_0918.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/Sporting_photos/IMG_0922.jpg

Technically it doesnt seem to fit either orientation. The spacing in picture 3 seems to be 1 mm. This is driving me up the wall wanting to finish this.

VagueRant, Great way to demonstrate what is happening. I had a similar situation but at the opposite end of the slots in the brackets on a socket 775 board, that's where the threaded studs become located. Let's note that VagueRant's board has a 2011 socket made by Lotes.

Some might say that the ends of the brackets, close to their attachment screws, that contact each other in the first two pics when not mounted on the pump, do that because they are not level as they would be when attached to the pump. I would disagree with that. They seem very level in the pics.

Next, you might say you could move the brackets apart on the studs to create the gap seen when they are mounted on the pump. No, that just can't happen.

Finally, the gap between the ends of the brackets when mounted on the pump is small, how could that make such a difference. In my experience, it makes a big difference.

You have demonstrated what I tried to describe in an earlier post, that once the brackets are on the pump, their orientation is changed, and the brackets will no longer easily fit over the threaded studs, on your socket 2011 board, and my socket 775 board.

Why is this happening, assuming that we know what we are doing? It could be simply that the brackets are out of spec. I know the gap is there on my H100, but I want to check my H60's too, which are both in use. Must open the cases of course...

• Corsair Employee

Guys, if its a couple of mm off try to apply a little force and it should catch all 4 screws.

I will look into this a little closer and will do further testing and see we can pin point what the actual issue is.

Ok, so I installed my H100 on my new R4E today, and while it was maybe a few mm's off it did go on after I took a file and just lengthened one of the slots on the posts. I just filed off a small amount to make the slot that the screw post slides in longer. I hope that makes sense....

The cooler then just slid over the 4 posts and I pressed it on, hand tightened them in the criss-cross pattern and my 3930k is ideling at about 39*C and gets to around 60*C under full load on 6 cores. :)

I was afraid I would over-tighten it since it was still a snug fit, and I didn't want to crush the CPU or anything. Not sure how I could know without an inch/lb reading to verify how tight to make it.

D'Close, I did a similar thing with my H100's brackets. Yes it makes sense, the more space or area within the slot, all the easier for it to fit on the studs.

Regarding pressure on the CPU, I don't know if the following is the case when mounting this cooler in a socket 2011 system, but this is what happens in others, socket 1366 and 1155. Once the pump is on the CPU, and the thumbscrews are threaded on and contacting the top of the four bracket arms, as you continue to tighten the thumbscrews, the bottom of the bracket arm contacts the wide, unthreaded area of the standoffs. At that point, no more pressure can be applied to the CPU, since the brackets can no longer move down. Snug-up the thumbscrews, and you're done. In your case, can you see if the bottom of the bracket arms are touching the wide area of the standoffs?

RAM GUY, I understand what you are suggesting, which is generally not unreasonable. But consider a person with their new, socket 2011 CPU, either $600 or $1000, and their new X79 board, easily $300. Would you want to be force fitting a part on your new, $900 - $1300+ CPU/motherboard system?

Please keep in mind that it is one thing for you to do that on the test hardware you have at your disposal, and in the environment you work in. It is quite different for the end user with one board and CPU in front of them, which they payed for, and if they damage it while attempting to force it into place, it's not a "... oops! Oh shoot! You dork RG... Way to go dude... Ok, it's lunch time..." moment. For us, it is a disaster.

No offense, but IMO everyone becomes accustomed to, or jaded about their work environment, from a person at McDonalds to a doctor, and we forget what it's like not having the opportunities or privileges we may have at work.

Had the same issue on my X79 board, an Asus P9X79 Pro.

Filed the slots a little but also bent both brackets slightly by hand which I think helped more.

I bent the middle slightly outwards so the outside was slightly concave to put the slotted arms at a slightly different angle then slightly bent the shorter lengths after the slots back outwards to square them back up and fit the block. Still had to rotate the block 90 degrees but it then slid down over the threads okay - wasn't prepared to force it on with the original pressure it would have required.

Archived